MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thescottharris

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on March 21, 2019, 01:05:15 PM
scotth

are you at liberty to explain what is going on w/I administration that is adversely effecting the athletic program, because you are correct, our teams are not nearly as competitive as they once were, I'm mainly speak to football & basketball.
I'd rather not post it publicly.

tigerfan

I like Kimbrough a lot.  He was a tough competitive point guard at Guilford - punched above his weight class.  He has head coach experience; it appears that he quickly made Huntingdon better.  He should already be familiar with the primary Tiger recruiting areas.  Nothing against the other guys, but Kimbrough showing he can make a program better is a big plus.  The Amherst asst. coach was a brilliant player and is from Greensboro.   

thescottharris

Knew the names but didn't want to out them, especially with Kimbrough being a current head coach because that could leave a bad taste in the mouth of his current players if he doesn't get a job. But alas now that the names are out there, Kimbrough would be my pick but alas my opinion means nothing. Shaver probably had the lead going in because of people around here knowing him and his family well and obviously learning under the legend in his dad, so we'll see how things go. I suspect a job offer gets sent out early next week at latest unless they decide to rope in some new candidates. I heard all three did well to varying degrees, so unless the people making the decision don't feel comfortable with all three, then that should be it for candidates.

hasanova

Caleb Kimbrough was Ben Strong's teammate from middle school through college.  He was a rare four year starter for Coach Palombo at Guilford where he was the point guard who got tons of assists and could score when needed.  He was with the Washington Generals for a year, an assistant at W&L for a year, then an assistant to Coach Palombo at Guilford for six years.  Starting in 2016, he was to be an assistant for a year at Huntingdon before assuming the HC job, but unexpectedly inherited the team mid-year with an 0-10 record.  He was a winner as a player, as an assistant coach and has taken Huntingdon to a winning record.

tigerFanAlso2

Glad I don't have to make the decision but I hope whoever HSC hires will be able to bring respect back to the program.
According to comments made by scotth, the administration might make that a difficult undertaken.
HSC cannot compete with our arch rival in any of the main three sports, HSC better wake up before the athletic program really gets out of hand.
I'm still a fan but not understanding why slide is downward.

algernon

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on March 22, 2019, 10:20:31 AM
HSC cannot compete with our arch rival in any of the main three sports, HSC better wake up before the athletic program really gets out of hand.

What are the "main three sports"?  You must not be including lacrosse. 

These are the HSC records for the past 3 seasons in each of 4 sports:

SPORT    W-L     WIN %
Lacrosse:  42-17     .712
Soccer:  22-24-4     .478
Football:  13-16      .448
Basketball:  21-55   .276

To me, it seems that lacrosse is doing extremely well, that soccer and football are winning about half their games, and that basketball is the only sport that has been doing very poorly.

tigerfan

Algernon, our colleague is talking about Football, Basketball and Baseball, not those new-fangled sports of soccer and lacrosse.  Our rival R-MC's results in those sports have left us in the dust.  I don't think we can sugarcoat it.  Having programs that win 50% of their games doesn't put us at their level.  Thank god for lacrosse.

Hopefully, the basketball program has hit bottom.  Macon could have spotted us 50-60 points and still won the game at Macon.  I'm dead serious.  I saw it. 

Seatfiller

Quote from: tigerfan on March 22, 2019, 12:03:31 PM
Algernon, our colleague is talking about Football, Basketball and Baseball, not those new-fangled sports of soccer and lacrosse.  Our rival R-MC's results in those sports have left us in the dust.  I don't think we can sugarcoat it.  Having programs that win 50% of their games doesn't put us at their level.  Thank god for lacrosse.

Hopefully, the basketball program has hit bottom.  Macon could have spotted us 50-60 points and still won the game at Macon.  I'm dead serious.  I saw it.

I saw some of it online, he's not lying.

tigerFanAlso2

Tigerfan knows what I'm referring to, if we cannot compete at a high level in those three sports HSC has problems that need fixing.
Has he said, call a spade a spade, we cannot hide nor run from the facts any attempt to sugar coat slows the fix. I have confidence
our AD & Staff understand the urgency and will do what needs to be done. As they said, Macon could have beat us by 60+ in basketball,
it almost mandated (by alums) that we compete and compete well with our rival and it ain't happening; I'll keep the faith and be patience for awhile during this transition.

thescottharris

I would unquestionably rank lacrosse as H-SC's legitimate #3 sport, and right now it is without a doubt the #2 sport. As much as I like the soccer program and the coaches, they are a distant 5th with baseball coming in 4th.

Lacrosse was easily the 2nd to 3rd most viewed game on our home webcasts. Some of the premiere matchups far surpassed anything other than some football matchups and a basketball game here and there when the team was good. That was the case even before the basketball team went down the toilet. It wasn't uncommon to see a premiere lacrosse home matchup have higher viewership than 2 or 3 football home games. I don't have access to the numbers for the road/neutral site games since that would be another school producing the webcast.

Attendance is generally higher as well for lacrosse than any sport other than football or when the basketball team is top 25 quality.

Website traffic numbers generally higher in-season for lacrosse than any sport other than football and basketball when they are top 25 quality.

Much more media and national/regional attention, as much as D3 athletics can be national that is, for lacrosse than any sport other than football and basketball when they are top 25 quality.

All the webcast, website, and attendance numbers were awful for basketball this year before I left the school mid-January. Since I left before the spring sports started, I don't have access to the numbers anymore, but if history continues, the numbers lacrosse is generating from those will be considerably higher than what basketball produced.

I will give basketball and Dee credit for one thing, they kicked the crap out of lacrosse in fundraising. I don't know how he and the Roundball Club were so good at it but they did really damn well getting people to donate to basketball.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I cover all three sports in question: football, basketball, and lacrosse (plus soccer and others). I understand why some think a Top 25 ranking in lacrosse may get more media attention with it ... but I think football would be the top dog and then maybe basketball. Lacrosse is still more niche despite it's growth.

Webstreaming, I have found lacrosse does have a good following, though. I can't deny that. However, that can also be attributed, like football, to the fact there are less games than a sport like basketball or baseball.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

thescottharris

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 22, 2019, 05:00:24 PM
I cover all three sports in question: football, basketball, and lacrosse (plus soccer and others). I understand why some think a Top 25 ranking in lacrosse may get more media attention with it ... but I think football would be the top dog and then maybe basketball. Lacrosse is still more niche despite it's growth.

Webstreaming, I have found lacrosse does have a good following, though. I can't deny that. However, that can also be attributed, like football, to the fact there are less games than a sport like basketball or baseball.
Oh basketball was easily #2 here in everything, beating out football in those metrics sometimes and easily everything else, when they were really good and made the tournament a few years ago. Since? Because it's basketball, the metrics were still decent but nothing special until the 2017-18 season came around and it began to sink in that they were going to be really bad. The fanbase is fairly fairweather with basketball, attendance will always be OK as long as they are hovering around .500 or better, they won't come out in force unless they are top 25 quality though. I literally had two student employees quit on me when basketball season came around because it wasn't worth what they were getting paid, that's how bad it got.

There's no denying football is #1 though.

HSCTiger fan

The biggest upset of the NCAA D1 tournament this year is once again a team coached by a HSC alum!  Cal Irvine's Russell Turner got his start at HSC. Last year it was Ryan Odom with his history making victory over 1 seeded UVA.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

tigerFanAlso2

TigerFan

HSC basketball does have tradition/successful alums coaching elsewhere (Irvine/UMBC/Longwood). Time to use that tradition to our benefit. HSC tried to do so by bringing Coach Vick to The Hill; obviously did not work out. Hopefully Coach Shaver wants to finish his career where it started. I'm sure that is blind hope on my part but sure would be nice if it works out that way.

Football needs to up its game as well. I believe RMC owns five straight wins over us and 7 of the last 8. Time to get better, bigger, stronger, faster.

tigerFanAlso2

HSC will make an announcement as early as today regarding new b'ball coach. I do not know who the lucky person is but he better hit the ground running.