2018 Great Lakes Region

Started by bestfancle, August 28, 2018, 12:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Domino1195

Good Lord!  Grove City should be up 2-0 5 minutes in. Missed two sitters inside the 6!!!!
Second half they miss two more - at least hitting the post on the last attempt.

Domino1195

Grove City gets a PK for their goal - they were dominant from the opening whistle - time of possession was easily 60-65% But lads - you GOT to finish those chances.  Centre offered about 5 minutes of resistance before the field tipped in Kenyon's favor.  Still they had the game at 0-0 at half but Kenyon's quality is too great.  CMU did well last night - they played their game and forced Allegheny into countless turnovers in their defensive third.  Kenyon has more going for them - they can attack and create  - and defend - and I give them the edge as best eam in the GL right now.

Looking forward to Friday's GC and CMU match.  The PRAC is still theirs to take - Geneva got a nice win against PSU-B last week - was not impressed with PSU today at all.  Still they have the inside track for the AMCC - the 6-1-1 record of Mt. Aloyisius is against a SOS of 380 . . .

NCAC looks to be separating the haves from have-nots - top three teams getting the job done.  Conference play yet to come but Kenyon and DePauw's GA are impressive.

OAC is another story - one log jam with the top 8 teams looking for consistency.  Mt. Union and Cap have played most consistently - kind of surprised to see Mt. Union get ranked - yes they are 5-0 with ZERO goals against; but other than that opening game against CWRU (where they were outplayed except for the PK) they have played no one. We'll see what they do against Geneva (although that is a home game).  Cap suffered their first loss and shutout of they year at Case.  A two hour ride turned into 4 as their bus got a flat tire and they sat in a rest area for over an hour.  They looked as flat as the bus tire in the second half. 

Saw Otterbein vs TM - Bein had the better of play at times - just no plot once they go into the final third.  Of concern were two shots by TM in the first half striking the posts - both over 30 yards - the second from beyond 35. Keeper look very slow reacting . . .  Also saw JCU and OWU once I found where the game was being played.  Can't say these two losses by OWU were "home" games - but this JCU game was very evenly played - a grind as I like to call them.  JCU has a rematch with CMU Sunday - that memorable game from last year - JCU tying it with 2 second left.

Saw part of Thomas More and Kenyon - they are feisty but Kenyon is Kenyon.  Very Good.  TM have ONU tomorrow at ONU - must watch for GL fans.

The Heartland is in disarray as the perennial top three are struggling.  Rose-Hulman is the "best" of the lot right now, but with DePauw and ONU up this week  . . . luckily both of those games are at home.

Domino1195

OWU with a dominant performance against Bein - Bein and Heidelberg are shells of the teams they were last year -sorry lads. Cap eeks out a win at Wooster missing three starters. If I had a nickel for the number of times Cap players lost 50/50 battles in the center of the field I'd have a lot of nickels. Cap is a good team but lack the toughness to win tight games. We'll see what happens Sat vs TM . . . 

Domino1195

Pretty sure I saw Dorothy and Toto drift by the field at Grove City.  Storm front moving through Ohio/PA right now - very strong winds at the field. CMU - their lines stay connected, they apply pressure and capitalize.  The Allegheny game - now today.  But you have to admire the clincal passes and finishing.  That first goal didn't seem like their was much in it except the striker hits it first time, perfectly placed - gave the defender no chance to even attempt to block it.  Second goal - turnover and a great through-ball.  A very solid team.

Domino1195

Wooster playing defense for 70 minutes conceded the tying goal under 1 minute. Going to OT - hey cameraman: try to stay up with the play!

Wooster down to 10 men for the second OT

Domino1195

CMU and JCU draw 0-0 in game that really didn't much flow to it -  31 total fouls and 6 YC. You'd think a game with these stats would have been very choppy - it wasn't. CMU did have the better chances at goal but the final score is a fair result based on what I saw.

Otterbein and Hanover also went into OT tied at 0-0. Hanover forward counters 1 v 4, splits the last two defenders and rolls the ball into the far lower corner.

The OAC seems to be separating the top 4-5 teams from the bottom.  ONU look to be fully rebounded from that Calvin game , JCU getting all their players healthy, Capital scoring lots of goals, Mt. Union yet to concede.

Tomorrow's Mt. Union game vs Geneva will their toughest opponent since opening game. DePauw has Thomas More - both these games at 5pm. Trying to figure out DePauw - maybe they are susceptible to let-downs?

midwest

Thomas More/ Denison is 1-1 about 15 minutes in to the second half. Scoreless at the half, then quick Denison goal called offsides, followed by Thomas More goal, followed by Denison goal to tie it up.

midwest

And that's it, Denison scores in the first minute of OT, 2-1, over Thomas More.

Flying Weasel

Wow!  Case Western beats Kenyon 3-0.  That will shake up the rankings.

NESCAC43

Quote from: Flying Weasel on September 26, 2018, 09:26:19 PM
Wow!  Case Western beats Kenyon 3-0.  That will shake up the rankings.

Oh my. Did anyone watch and mind telling us how it went? Wanted to watch this one as it was the only matchup with two top 25 teams but had to take the kids to practice.

Mr.Right

Check Case's website...All 3 Goals are up and Kenyon's defense on all 3 left alot to be desired.

Domino1195

CMU handling PSU-B. If you analyze games against, like opponents results, etc. - you'll be stuck in arevolving door. There are 8-10 teams that have a chance to make the post season from the GL. CMU has moved to the top of the pack IMO; not sold on Case as #2 - has had the benefit of home cooking on their key games. Kenyon and OWU are even at get top of the NCAC.  The OAC is wide open - Mt Union gives up multiple goals tomorrow at JCU, but they play stout defense otherwise. Grove City should take the one bid from the PRaC - I watched Geneva vs Mt Union - they played a much better second half - but if consistency holds GC is the team.

Toughness. Sorry to say - but in a fairly even top tier the toughest team wins. Gut check time for the lads.

PaulNewman

Wednesday night, Sept. 26th seemed like a huge turning point in GL.....OWU winning big away at Capital, and CWRU drubbing Kenyon at home while CMU arguably was top of the region.

OWU does appear to be on one of their usual runs (after an early stumble or two) and likely headed for their 78th consecutive NCAA appearance.  Kenyon rebounded today with a very solid 4-0 road win at Wabash.  OWU's only tough games remaining are at home, except for the Kenyon tilt that will likely determine the NCAC regular season crown.  Kenyon has won 3 straight NCAC road games and has a favorable schedule except for another trip to Indiana versus DePauw (who had a potentially devastating loss at home to Denison).

Most significantly, CWRU lost at home to NYU and has a brutal remaining schedule.  CMU lost at home today to Brandeis.  No shame there, but that also could be very costly.

Domino1195

An oddity with OWU's back-to-back losses was both "home" games were played on turf - one at a local HS and the JCU game on the football field at OWU.  From the opening whistle OWU put Cap on their heels - I think that Kenyon OWU game will be a classic.

Case - 11 home games vs 7 away - they have had the benefit of playing difficult GL teams at home. Pre-conference schedule now weaker than it might have been preseason.  Watched some of CMU this weekend - just a hard-fought battle that could have gone either way.  Same for OWU-JCU, JCU-Capital, Capital-Case.  There's a group of GL teams that are very evenly matched.

I mentioned early that I was puzzled by DePauw.  But their SOS has also gone south and - now that we have a base of games to compare relative results - I tip Denison to take 4th. For Denison - I can understand the bad loss at JCU - emotionally flat after leading CMU up to the 85th minute and then losing with less than 10 seconds in the 2nd OT.  But they have played tougher teams and have been in most of those games.

Grove City gets a scare from Wash-Jeff.  Odd goal from WJ - dipping shot over the keeper's outstretched arm - maybe looking ahead to this week's game against Geneva? 

Mt. Union drops two straight in OT - misses a PK in OT at Wilmington, then concedes a PK a minute later.  ONU having troubles scoring - in the shutout loss at BW they had the statistical advantage, and only scoring 2 at Muskingum??? Otterbein has been in all their games - not getting the breaks they did last year.  JCU on Wednesday at home.

PaulNewman

In between Conn Coll-Amherst and Tufts-Babson, I caught the two OTs with OWU and DePauw.  No doubt OWU is disappointed with a draw after outshooting DPU 25-4 (or 24-5), but I was very impressed.  Looked like a controlled scrimmage of 8 v 6 for OWU.  A lot of talent, typical OWU skill and possession, and also some size and physicality in a few key spots.  In addition to creating good chances from the run of play they looked very dangerous on free kicks (even long ones) and corners.  Definitely looked like a NCAA tourney team that will be a tough out now that the team is dominated more by upperclassmen.

BTW, Andrew Gold must be in his 8th season for DePauw.