FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purple

I didn't go in the bathrooms.

formerd3db

"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Purple,

Where on campus, is the new Coaching Building located?
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

MUC57

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on July 12, 2020, 11:04:46 PM
Purple,

Where on campus, is the new Coaching Building located?

K & J's Dad

The building is located between The Gulling building and the tennis courts. 🏈 😷
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

wally_wabash

Capital is rebranding and they need a new nickname.  Do your thing.  Wrong answers only, please. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

jknezek

Quote from: wally_wabash on July 13, 2020, 02:55:36 PM
Capital is rebranding and they need a new nickname.  Do your thing.  Wrong answers only, please.

They won't be the only ones. We are working hard on the Lee part of W&L...

HScoach

Quote from: jknezek on July 13, 2020, 03:01:40 PM

I think it's best that I sit out these conversations.  My 1st tag line indicates my position on most things these days....
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

jknezek

Quote from: HScoach on July 13, 2020, 03:09:53 PM

I think it's best that I sit out these conversations.  My 1st tag line indicates my position on most things these days....

Could be. I just know W&L can't recruit students or faculty of color right now. It's not happening. Something like 2% of the student body is black despite offering massive scholarships and those students mostly come from outside the U.S. There is a practical reason, and has been for quite a while, to change that association. But big and older donors don't like change, so it's a slow process. We had the same problem in '84 when the coed vote finally came down, but the University was better for it after. Not all change, even if driven by means we may not approve of, is a bad thing.

crufootball

Quote from: jknezek on July 13, 2020, 03:14:44 PM

Could be. I just know W&L can't recruit students or faculty of color right now. It's not happening. Something like 2% of the student body is black despite offering massive scholarships and those students mostly come from outside the U.S. There is a practical reason, and has been for quite a while, to change that association. But big and older donors don't like change, so it's a slow process. We had the same problem in '84 when the coed vote finally came down, but the University was better for it after. Not all change, even if driven by means we may not approve of, is a bad thing.

I have always been curious how much money it would cost to change the name of a university. Not saying that should be a reason to not do it, but it seems like these are usually all or nothing situations where you are going to need to change everything that has W&L on it in a fairly short amount of time.

jknezek

Quote from: crufootball on July 13, 2020, 03:26:05 PM
Quote from: jknezek on July 13, 2020, 03:14:44 PM

I have always been curious how much money it would cost to change the name of a university. Not saying that should be a reason to not do it, but it seems like these are usually all or nothing situations where you are going to need to change everything that has W&L on it in a fairly short amount of time.

Yep. Going to be expensive and it's going to suck. My own pile of well-loved W&L gear isn't going anywhere (though I do agree with the need to disassociate with Lee and generally have bought gear that says W&L instead of Washington & Lee). I remember years ago when Beaver College made the switch to Arcadia. Obviously it can be done. It's not like W&L is hurting for money either, with a close to $1.5 Billion endowment. We will see.

pradierguy

Capital could go with Pentellos. Although they better check the history books and see which side of the Civil War Rocky fought on. I mean he was active during that era too, I believe   ;D

In all seriousness, I'm surprised Crusaders is the first mascot to fall. In my small brain it is far from the most offensive.

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Are the Chiefs going to change their Mascot also?  How about the Atlanta Braves?  Are the Golden State Warriors offensive to any group? New Jersey Devils?

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: pradierguy on July 13, 2020, 05:00:54 PM
Capital could go with Pentellos. Although they better check the history books and see which side of the Civil War Rocky fought on. I mean he was active during that era too, I believe   ;D

In all seriousness, I'm surprised Crusaders is the first mascot to fall. In my small brain it is far from the most offensive.

The Student Princes are the most offensive...

Pat Coleman

Quote from: pradierguy on July 13, 2020, 05:00:54 PM

Wheaton let go of its Crusaders about 20 years ago. Alvernia did the same more recently.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.