Women's Basketball NEW NCAA 10 Second Backcourt Rule....What is the criteria?

Started by d3hendrixpop50, October 19, 2011, 09:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3hendrixpop50

Who decides and what criteria as far as stats is needed this year to make this rule permanent next year......

I believe this rule should have been changed 5 years ago.......they are trying it out in preseason this year.....but what is the criteria in terms of turnovers and points scored are they looking out for this to become a permanent rule and allow defensive to be finally rewarded like it should be as well as rewarding teams that have good passers and dribblers.

gordonmann

I don't understand your questions.

Who decides what? Criteria for what? Are you asking if 10 second violations will count as turnovers?

d3hendrixpop50

This year is a trial year by what I have read from the NCAA New Rules from the NCAA website. They are trying out the 10 second backcourt violation rule for Women's Basketball during just the preseason this year and if the criteria is favorable then the 10 second backcourt violation rule would take effect during the 2012-2013 regular season as a permanent rule. Most everybody in basketball feels that women can dribble and play defense and that this rule should have been in effect for at least 5 years already but they fear that the turnovers will slow the game down and be less exciting to fans I guess. 

I cannot find anywhere what the EXACT criteria the NCAA is looking for this preseason to decide if this rule will be permanent next year or not.......does anybody know what the EXACT criteria is and who actually will vote on this rule being changed permanently next year?  That is the question no one seems to know the answer to.....

Please help answer this question if you have insider knowledge on the NCAA Rules Board or whatever it is called

gordonmann

Got it. You may have already found this but, if not, here is what schools are supposed to track to help the NCAA Women's Basketball Rules Committee evaluate whether the rule should be used in the future.

I had no idea they evaluated rules in this manner.  The social scientist in me is impressed. :)

d3hendrixpop50

Just Bill

The other component is they will ask coaches to complete a survey to try and asses their opinions and "feel of the game" with the new rule.

Much better than the AVCA (volleyball coaches association) method. Two years ago, they changed the rule regarding the number of substitutions. Then they asked for the data on the number of subs used AFTER the season was over. Since schools didn't know they were supposed to be saving that data, most of it had already been thrown out.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

d3ref

There is no guarantee that any experimental rule will be adopted by the rules committee for the next season.  Since the NCAA went to a two-year cycle for their rule books, the only changes that are supposed to be considered during an "off-year" are those related to player safety. 

I would not expect to see the 10-second back court rule this upcoming season.