2015 NCAA Tournament

Started by Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan), February 28, 2015, 01:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Collinge

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 08, 2015, 11:19:24 AM
So just for fun, would someone smarter than me like to rank the last 16?

Maybe grouping of 4.

Stevens Point - 2
St. Olaf - 3
Randolph Macon -5
Babson -6

Augustana - 7
Marietta -8
Mount Union - 9
Virginia Wesleyan - 10

Emory - 11
John's Hopkins - 14
ETBU - 15
Dickinson - 20

Richard Stockton -29
Bates - 30
Trinity - 41
Northwestern - 98

These are Massey ratings. Interesting that all the UMAC schools are listed as independent.  Whats up with that?

I think the top 4 is closer to:

Augustana
VWU
Stevens Point
Emory

Bottom 4

Trinity
ETBU
Bates
Northwestern

TGHIJGSTO!!! A second life!

Actually, you want Fisher here.

David Collinge

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 08, 2015, 12:07:23 PM
Quote from: David Collinge on March 08, 2015, 10:43:25 AM
Quote from: Hoops Fan on March 07, 2015, 09:56:20 PM

So, we're going to have Macon, Point, Babson, and Augustana all hosting (likely).  They'll have to fly [...] Mt. Union to Augustana.  Should be fun.
A few years ago, Wooster was sent (by bus) to Augustana for a first-round game. Ergo Mount must be very, very close to the 500 mile threshold.

Well Mount Union in WBB decided to take a bus to the final four several years ago and Dickinson MBB last year went by bus to Wheaton... that isn't the determining factor and usually that is up to the school. The NCAA's mileage rule just dictates whether they have to change things to keep the costs down. If it is on paper as a flight... it is considered a flight... because they won't know if a bus will be used until after they make a decision on hosting.
It seems a little out of character for the NCAA to take the chance that a team will fly for a first-round game when it is not absolutely necessary. With the thick population of tournament-worthy teams in the midwest, another destination for Wooster could have been found that removes the possibility of flying from the analysis. I think it is more likely that the mileage program has been adjusted since then and read <500 at the time of that Woo/Augie matchup.

I think it is pretty likely that Mount will bus to Rock Island this weekend, regardless of the mileage. It's a pretty easy drive, and would be a difficult flight without a charter plane.

donho

Greek Tragedy,  interesting that you put VWC in your top four ahead of RMC. Is that because if they meet again RMC  would have to beat them four times in one year to advance??

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: David Collinge on March 08, 2015, 12:14:55 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 08, 2015, 12:07:23 PM
Quote from: David Collinge on March 08, 2015, 10:43:25 AM
Quote from: Hoops Fan on March 07, 2015, 09:56:20 PM

So, we're going to have Macon, Point, Babson, and Augustana all hosting (likely).  They'll have to fly [...] Mt. Union to Augustana.  Should be fun.
A few years ago, Wooster was sent (by bus) to Augustana for a first-round game. Ergo Mount must be very, very close to the 500 mile threshold.

Well Mount Union in WBB decided to take a bus to the final four several years ago and Dickinson MBB last year went by bus to Wheaton... that isn't the determining factor and usually that is up to the school. The NCAA's mileage rule just dictates whether they have to change things to keep the costs down. If it is on paper as a flight... it is considered a flight... because they won't know if a bus will be used until after they make a decision on hosting.
It seems a little out of character for the NCAA to take the chance that a team will fly for a first-round game when it is not absolutely necessary. With the thick population of tournament-worthy teams in the midwest, another destination for Wooster could have been found that removes the possibility of flying from the analysis. I think it is more likely that the mileage program has been adjusted since then and read <500 at the time of that Woo/Augie matchup.

I think it is pretty likely that Mount will bus to Rock Island this weekend, regardless of the mileage. It's a pretty easy drive, and would be a difficult flight without a charter plane.

I don't disagree... but when you get over the 500 mile barrier... then the right to fly kicks in. So if a team wants to fly, that is the expense. If the team wants to bus, that is the expense. That is why I was saying on paper the NCAA will view the decision as a flight and thus...

... let's say for hypothetical you get a scenario where the top ranked teams is a few miles over the 500 mile, but there is a team in the middle that can host everyone even though they aren't close to the top ranked team. One scenario comes to mind was Middlebury, St. Mary's, Rochester, and Buffalo State about five years ago (though 542). The NCAA isn't going to consider whether a team would bus or not before they decide on a host. So, instead of asking Middlebury or SMC if they would bus to the other site... they chose Rochester to host since all teams could get there without the flight. Maybe Middlebury or SMC would have been happy to bus instead of, for Middlebury, driving to Albany, flying to Baltimore, and bussing to SMC and vise versa for SMC (easier to just bus the entire distance). It didn't matter... it was over 500 miles and the bus decision is after the fact.

By the way, Augie to Wooster: 501; Wooster to Augie: 500. Both over the limit... but that's how the mileage system calculates the trips.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Swat Fan #1

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 08, 2015, 01:23:30 AM
Quote from: magicman on March 07, 2015, 09:13:48 PM
Dickinson beats Albertus Magnus with a last second basket 74-72. After Big Vic hits a basket to tie the game for Albertus with 11 seconds to go, the Red Devils come down and take a 3 pointer with 5 seconds left that is partially blocked by Sledge. It ends up in Ted Hinnenkamps hands right near the basket and he lays it in at the buzzer. Tough way to go down for the Falcons as it looked like it was headed to overtime when Sledge got his hand on the 3 point attempt.

Honestly, that wasn't a partial block... that was a 5-9 guy in Sledge who fully blocked that shot ... it didn't go but a foot out of the shooter's hand before it was heading straight up because of the physics put on the ball by the block. That block was impressive... but then Cox snuck a hand in as Sledge came down with the ball and popped it loose right into the waiting hands of Hinnenkamp who told me glanced at the clock and then turned and laid it in. Unbelievable finish!

Here is the interview afterward with Hinnenkamp: http://youtu.be/f-kH57b3vcc
Here is the final sequence of plays: http://youtu.be/EFEaRIoBRF0

Any word on the condition of Sledge? Sketchy reports of him seriously injuring himself right after the game when he punched a glass case or something like that. Heard he was taken to hospital with serious cut to his arm. Nothing about it today though.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

That is pretty much what I was told and I didn't pursue much more (having a doctor for a father... I just don't push HIPPA stuff). He apparently bunched a trophy case on his way to the locker room (in frustration)... the glass broke and apparently he did a pretty serious job to his hand. He was treated on site by emergency personal, who were very quick on the scene, and was taken to the local hospital. I heard it was a bad injury, but I didn't see it or see the aftermath.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Men's hosts: Augustana, Randolph-Macon, Babson, and UW-Stevens Point.

Swat Fan #1

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 08, 2015, 12:36:03 PM
That is pretty much what I was told and I didn't pursue much more (having a doctor for a father... I just don't push HIPPA stuff). He apparently bunched a trophy case on his way to the locker room (in frustration)... the glass broke and apparently he did a pretty serious job to his hand. He was treated on site by emergency personal, who were very quick on the scene, and was taken to the local hospital. I heard it was a bad injury, but I didn't see it or see the aftermath.

Thank you!

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: David Collinge on March 08, 2015, 12:07:53 PM
TGHIJGSTO!!! A second life!

Actually, you want Fisher here.

Oops. Not sure how I did that! Thanks. Edited.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: donho on March 08, 2015, 12:15:25 PM
Greek Tragedy,  interesting that you put VWC in your top four ahead of RMC. Is that because if they meet again RMC  would have to beat them four times in one year to advance??

I meant RMC. Late night.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Greek Tragedy

Babson 52% and Augie 24% lead the way not to advance.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

y_jack_lok

Below is from the ODAC board. Does anyone know the answer?

Quote from: algernon on March 08, 2015, 04:10:05 PM
Quote from: marlinpg10 on March 08, 2015, 09:49:54 AMVwc advances to its 5th straight sweet 16. Wow that is impressive As a program and a coach. Macedo gets it done year in and year out.

Wow. Can any other team in the country make that claim, that they've made it to the Sweet Sixteen 5 years in a row?!!! Tremendous accomplishment, for sure.

augie_superfan

Updated odds of advancement:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxkM2Jhc2tldGJhbGxpbmRleHxneDoyYTFlNDI1OTljZWUwNzU1

Top Odds Of Winning Championship
UW-Stevens Point     17.0%
Babson                      14.5%
Augustana                 13.1%
Randolph-Macon       12.8%
St. Olaf                      7.7%
VA Wesleyan              5.9%
ETBU                         5.8%
Marietta                     5.7%

The Augustana sectional is the most "wide-open" with all 4 teams being of relatively equal strength.  The home court advantage puts Augustana over the top.  Should be some great games on Friday and Saturday

neverwas725

From Babson's website:

"Staake Gymnasium is home of the Babson basketball and women's volleyball teams. Named after Babson Athletics Hall of Fame member and former Athletics Director Paul C. Staake, this beautiful facility features two full basketball courts, six hoops, and bleacher seating for 650 people."

How do they get the opportunity to host when the NCAA manual says you need seating for 1000?