BB: D-3 Players in minor leagues/MLB

Started by Spence, September 11, 2007, 11:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

infielddad

A bit more on Ryan Cavan, who is a terrific player and even better person, and one of the hardest workers anywhere.
Recently Ryan received his Rawlings Gold Glove award for being the very best defensive 2B in all of Milb in 2012, while playing AA ball for the Giants.  Toward the end of Spring Training, Ryan got a call up and played/started 2 MLB games for the Giants at 2B. Ryan ended up with hits in both games including a HR he posted on Facebook.
He is back in High A moving to 3B with the view the Giants, hopefully, see him as a utility player at the MLB level. Since the Giants are his hometown team, I am hoping this happens. If not, he is playing for 30 other teams and some have to notice.

OshDude

56 current players in affiliated baseball. Add names for those I missed
Awaiting link:
Rowan P Marc Magliaro, Rockies (signed)
Middlebury P Michael Joseph, Orioles (signed)
Thiel P Bobby Hillier, Diamondbacks (signed)
MLB
Wheaton-MA OF Chris Denorfia, Padres
St. Joseph's-ME P Charlie Furbush (also LSU), Mariners
Messiah OF Chris Heisey, Reds
Eastern Mennonite C Erik Kratz, Phillies
Stony Brook (then D3) P Joe Nathan, Rangers
Alvernia C Anthony Recker, Mets
La Crosse OF Vinny Rottino, Orix Buffaloes (Japan)
Stevens Point P Jordan Zimmermann, Nationals
AAA
Centenary-NJ P Cole Kimball, Syracuse (Nationals)
Alvernia 3B Zach Lutz, Las Vegas (Mets)
Concordia-IL P Jim Paduch, Durham (Rays)
Linfield P Joe Paterson (also Oregon St.), Reno (Diamondbacks)
Otterbein P Dan Remenowsky, Charlotte (White Sox)
AA
Grove City P Erik Arnesen, Midland (A's)
Linfield 3B Kelson Brown, Altoona (Pirates)
Marietta P Mike DeMark, Midland (A's)
Whitewater P Aaron Dott, Trenton (Yankees)
Rose-Hulman P Derek Eitel, Mobile (Diamondbacks)
Keystone P Sean Murphy, Midland (A's)
Whittier P Tom Vessella, Richmond (Giants)
Marietta P Mark Williams, Huntsville (Brewers)
HIGH A
Trinity-TX/Chapman 2B Ryan Cavan (also UC Santa Barbara), San Jose Giants
Pomona P David Colvin, High Desert (Mariners)
Manhattanville SS Dan Fiorito, Tampa Yankees
Amherst OF Kevin Heller, Salem Red Sox
Albright P Casey Lawrence, Dunedin Blue Jays
Birmingham-Southern OF Drew Leachman, Fort Myers (Twins)
Denison P Aidan Lucas, Palm Beach Cardinals
Neumann OF Gary Mitchell, Inland Empire (Angels)
Frostburg P Greg Ross, Lynchburg (Braves)
Marietta SS Tim Saunders, Daytona Cubs
Emory P Paul Schwendel, Myrtle Beach (Rangers)
Old Westbury P Robert Whitenack, Carolina (Indians)
Chapman P Kurt Yacko, Bradenton (Pirates)
A
Babson P Andrew Aizenstadt, Lakewood (Phillies)
Marietta P Austin Blaski, Wisconsin (Brewers)
Whitewater P Rob Coe, South Bend (Diamondbacks)
Ithaca P Tucker Healy, Beloit (A's)
St. Olaf P Ben Hughes, Ashville (Rockies)
Stevens Point 3B Justin Jirschele, Kannapolis (White Sox)
Wooster P Matt Johnson, Lansing (Blue Jays)
Trinity-TX P Ben Klimesh, Dayton (Reds)
Stevens Point OF Cody Koback, Greenville (Red Sox)
Birmingham-Southern C Bruce Maxwell, Beloit (A's)
Menlo (then D3) P Chris Mazza, Cedar Rapids (Twins)
Chapman P Brian Rauh, Hagerstown (Nationals)
Randolph-Macon OF Jordan Walton, Peoria (Cardinals)
Wartburg P Brad Watson, Peoria (Cardinals)
SHORT SEASON A
[None]
ROOKIE
Haverford 1B Jake Chaplin, AZL Dodgers
Catholic P Justin D'Alessandro, GCL Blue Jays
Macalester 2B Mitch Glasser, Bristol White Sox
Kenyon C Jack Graham, GCL Orioles
Williams P Harry Marino, TBD Orioles
Methodist P Chris Perry, GCL Cardinals
Augustana P John Peters, GCL Nationals
Mitchell P Anthony Santiago (also Central Florida), Bristol White Sox

Mr. Ypsi

Jordan Zimmermann pitched 7 innings of 2-hit, no-run ball, to raise his record to 9-3, and lower his GPA to 2.00.  The UWSP product is (according to many analysts) an early favorite for NL All-Star game starter and Cy Young.  Way to represent d3!! ;D

d3baseball411

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 09, 2013, 11:34:10 PM
Jordan Zimmermann pitched 7 innings of 2-hit, no-run ball, to raise his record to 9-3, and lower his GPA to 2.00.  The UWSP product is (according to many analysts) an early favorite for NL All-Star game starter and Cy Young.  Way to represent d3!! ;D

Wow, his grades have really fallen recently.  Must have not been studying much.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: d3baseball411 on June 09, 2013, 11:59:38 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 09, 2013, 11:34:10 PM

Wow, his grades have really fallen recently.  Must have not been studying much.

Geez, don't know where that came from - I've been retired for five years! :-[

Bombers798891

Okay, another question:

For juniors who have the option to go back, at what round/money do players tend to leave?

AlleyCat

Does anyone know if any of the Div 3 draftees have signed yet?

Bombers798891

Quote from: AlleyCat on June 11, 2013, 04:16:31 PM
Does anyone know if any of the Div 3 draftees have signed yet?

Locastro did

108 Stitches

Two answers:

1. Most D3 players are not drafted as Jr's so this question is more appropriate for D1 players. Frankly this is a personal decision and I have seen Jr's go back for millions (Appel from Stanford last year) and others come out for less than $100K. The two most recent from D3 last year were Maxwell and Rauh, both went out for numbers reported in the $700K range.

Due to  changes in the slotting by MLB there are more Jr's going back to college for their Sr year, which is causing issues in the recruiting world where coaches (D1 again)  have over subscribed their allotment of scholarships due to the fact that Jr's are not leaving that they thought would. 

2. It is not likely that anyone will sign for a number of weeks due to the time to get all of the paper work together and negotiate terms, but again noting the post above some have. 

infielddad

Actually most of those who will sign are signed within a period of about 10-14 days.  There are a couple of reasons, but the most important is nearly every one of these players needs to fill a slot on a short season roster. The short season teams begin about June 20 in the NY/PENN league, Pioneer, Appalachian and Northwest leagues.  While someone like Appel has the leverage to create havoc on the MLB signing budget for Houston if he does not sign and engages in extended negotiations, most of those from about round 4 or so either get signed right away or the team can move to negotiate with other players, even if they might lose the money if they don't sign that round player for slot. When our son was drafted, the scout involved with him also had 6 other players in his territory selected. He had all of them signed within 72 hours and they were on their way to FLA. for orientation right after that. They spent about 4 days in FLA and were on planes to their short season assignments within about 12 days of the draft ending. That gave them one day to acclimate, find housing, arrange for electricity, etc for the shared apartment, figure out transportation, do a community meet and greet and get ready to play the next day..

Texas Leaguer

Quote from: 108 Stitches on June 12, 2013, 10:39:54 AM
1. Most D3 players are not drafted as Jr's so this question is more appropriate for D1 players. Frankly this is a personal decision and I have seen Jr's go back for millions (Appel from Stanford last year) and others come out for less than $100K. The two most recent from D3 last year were Maxwell and Rauh, both went out for numbers reported in the $700K range.

108 - For what it's worth, I couldn't find Ruah's actual signing bonus but I would be surprised if it was in the $700k range with the new bonus slot system.  Ruah was an 11th rd pick.  Teams get allocated signing bonus money for each of their picks in the first 10 rds on a downward sliding scale.  For rds 11-40, they are allotted up to $100k per player.  If they go over $100k, the incremental money would have to come from the excess allocated signing bonus pool from one of the first 10 rd picks that signed a contract for less than his slot value (like the Astros did with the 1st overall pick).  If he signed for $700k, that means the Nationals were able to sign some of their first 10 rd picks for collectively $600k less than their slot and gave that money to sign Rauh.  For comparison, the 73rd pick is valued at $700k so $600k is a fairly significant amount of extra slot money to arrive at.  Teams can go above recommended slot bonus targets but they are subject to penalties that serve as strong deterrents.  That being said, I hope he did get that much for his sake.

108 Stitches

Thanks infieldad and Texas for correcting me.

I believe players need to be signed by August 15th and the late ones are usually high cost/leverage players, which certainly are not DIII players.

It appears that Rauh was signed for slot bonus money, but the information is vague.

infielddad

MLB has also crunched the signing period.  This year, players have to be signed by July 12. Overall, I think this again works to be benefit of the teams. However, if Appel, for instance, were to be a very tough sign and holding out for slot at $7M up to July 12, it seems like he could impact Houston on most every other top pick since they would lose that money if Appel does not sign. If Appel does not sign by July 12, it seems like it might be interesting to see if he claims free agency status.  Hopefully that does not happen because he would then be 2 years behind on potentially getting to his arbitration year when he can make far more $$$$ than the signing bonus would ever pay him.

Mr. Ypsi

Jordan Zimmermann (UWSP) had a really bad outing tonight: 6 ER in 5 innings.  Raised his ERA from 2.00 to 2.44 (gasp!).  The Nats took him off the hook with a later run, so at least he won't get a loss; he'll remain 9-3.

playball

Quote from: 108 Stitches on June 12, 2013, 03:48:22 PM
Thanks infieldad and Texas for correcting me.

I believe players need to be signed by August 15th and the late ones are usually high cost/leverage players, which certainly are not DIII players.

It appears that Rauh was signed for slot bonus money, but the information is vague.

354) Brian Rauh, RHP, Washington Nationals: Slot bonus for college pitcher, 3.99 ERA with 43/26 K/BB in 59 innings for Auburn in the NY-P and Hagerstown in the Low-A South Atlantic League. Held his own in pro ball although component ratios aren't great.

That is from SB Nation.

If he went over slot I would be very surprised.  Especially since he was a D3 guy and that does not generally command signing leverage.