FB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teamski

Hate to see him go, but after a long time stint at Wesley, Offensive Coordinator Steve Azzanesi stepped up to Division I and is now the Offensive Coordinator for the Delaware State University Hornets.  I have a feeling that their offense is about to explode after years of pretty embarrassing play.  Coach Azzanesi was a real asset at Wesley and while it pains me not to see him on top of the press box each week, I am thrilled to see him move up.  He brings a hell of a lot of talent to the DSU coaching staff.  This was a windfall for DSU without a doubt.  Thanks Coach Azz for everything you have done for Wesley over the last 18 years.  Your energy was infectious....in a good way, not coro.... never mind, you know what I mean.  Good luck in your new position but somehow I don't think you need any.  Give the MEAC hell.

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Teamski on March 22, 2020, 12:32:46 PM
Hate to see him go, but after a long time stint at Wesley, Offensive Coordinator Steve Azzanesi stepped up to Division I and is now the Offensive Coordinator for the Delaware State University Hornets.  I have a feeling that their offense is about to explode after years of pretty embarrassing play.  Coach Azzanesi was a real asset at Wesley and while it pains me not to see him on top of the press box each week, I am thrilled to see him move up.  He brings a hell of a lot of talent to the DSU coaching staff.  This was a windfall for DSU without a doubt.  Thanks Coach Azz for everything you have done for Wesley over the last 18 years.  Your energy was infectious....in a good way, not coro.... never mind, you know what I mean.  Good luck in your new position but somehow I don't think you need any.  Give the MEAC hell.

-Ski

I wish Steve much luck in his new position. DSU has been a mess over the last several years, in a conference that is not exactly a powerhouse. In fact, a couple Wesley buddies of mine used to say that the best Wesley teams could beat the 'typical' DSU teams. I don't know if that is true or not. There is one interesting thing to think about though......

A couple of years ago, the head women's basketball coach at D-III FDU got the head coaching job at D-I St. Peter's. He took his three best FDU players with him, they redshirted, and this past year they were the top three scorers on his D-I team.

I wonder, especially given what is happening with recruiting during this pandemic AND the unknown future of Wesley, if a few of Wesley's top players are made offers by DSU. I wouldn't be surprised and actually it would be quite typical. I guess we shall stay tuned. I'm just hoping that we are in a place to even have a 2020 football season at this point. I'm hopeful, but have my doubts. :)

Teamski

I would worry more about that if he was the head coach and if Wesley wasn't consistently in the playoffs. 

-Ski

P.s. I fully concur that Welsey could beat DSU with one of their good teams.  Wesley already beat DIAA Charlotte and Charleston Southern, two teams that would have beaten DSU on their own.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Teamski on March 23, 2020, 11:59:58 AM
I would worry more about that if he was the head coach and if Wesley wasn't consistently in the playoffs. 

-Ski

P.s. I fully concur that Welsey could beat DSU with one of their good teams.  Wesley already beat DIAA Charlotte and Charleston Southern, two teams that would have beaten DSU on their own.

I do agree Ski, but let's not hope that he sold himself, in part, on his ability to bring a couple of skill position players over from Wesley. I know that DSU is quite a bit less expensive and they also give out 'partials' for financial aid. A RB from North Penn (Philly suburbs) went to DSU a couple of years ago and paid about $4K all in (his family was blue collar, but far from poor).

The fact that Wesley could beat DSU in a typical year might work against Wesley as some of their better athletes would be upgrades over many at DSU. I'm not talking about some mass raid on the entire roster, just a player or two. We'll see. I've rarely seen a move like this (not that they happen often), especially down the road, when at least one player doesn't follow his coach, even a position coach, but he was a great one!!

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: Teamski on March 23, 2020, 11:59:58 AM

-Ski

I know a few players that played at DSU and Wesley best teams would have had to face DSU worst team within the past decade or so. Nothing against Wesley, but DIAA Charlotte and Charleston Southern aren't good barometers to compare to DSU.

Teamski

Seriously, do you know just how bad DSU is?

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: Teamski on March 26, 2020, 06:51:59 PM

I know recently, but on 10 to 15 year trailing average. I'd take them over any DIII school. Not saying they'd monkey stomp, they'd be the favored in most games.

RowanPhan

Recently Rowan has had a few DSU transfers who haven't done much ...
Go Rowan!

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: FANOFD3 on March 26, 2020, 06:56:25 PM
Quote from: Teamski on March 26, 2020, 06:51:59 PM

I know recently, but on 10 to 15 year trailing average. I'd take them over any DIII school. Not saying they'd monkey stomp, they'd be the favored in most games.

Mary Hardin-Baylor/Mount Union/UW-Whitewater/St. John's and several others > DSU all day, every day.

I'm not looking at a 10-15 year timeframe (that's like the bald, fat 40 year old dude bragging about the chick magnet he was 15 years ago.................with hair and six pack abs ;) )

DSU has been brutal..............in a poor conference that never competes for D-IAA (I refuse to say that FCS crap) prominence.

It makes me question why Steve made this move..........unless he knows something and bailed before it came down.

Teamski

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on March 27, 2020, 12:51:13 PM
It makes me question why Steve made this move..........unless he knows something and bailed before it came down.

I can answer that and it doesn't have anything to do with the current situation at Wesley.  This is just me of course, but if you were an offensive coordinator of a D3 school that has seen a lot of success and a very local D1 school is looking for one each offensive coordinator that allows you to: 1.  stay local with no need to move your family AND: 2.  you get a pay boost with the possibility of turning a wretched program around with the experience you have had building success, that you wouldn't take that shot?  If you say otherwise, I don't believe you.  Ask Coach Leipold that same question......

-Ski

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Teamski on March 27, 2020, 01:18:07 PM

I can answer that and it doesn't have anything to do with the current situation at Wesley.  This is just me of course, but if you were an offensive coordinator of a D3 school that has seen a lot of success and a very local D1 school is looking for one each offensive coordinator that allows you to: 1.  stay local with no need to move your family AND: 2.  you get a pay boost with the possibility of turning a wretched program around with the experience you have had building success, that you wouldn't take that shot?  If you say otherwise, I don't believe you.  Ask Coach Leipold that same question......

-Ski

I guess we'll see in the long run, but Coach Leipold also left to go to a program that would beat his former program 10 out of 10 times. Just because this move is D3 to D-1AA (in name only), the team he is leaving is a better program than the one he is going to.

I know a couple of players who went down on recruiting visits to DSU and they came back shocked at the facilities, and the financial package at DSU. 3 of them wound up at D2 programs in the PSAC. I wish Steve all the best in the world and hopefully he can turn it around. The MEAC doesn't have perennial monster teams so they certainly have a shot. Also, DSU is not on superb financial footing at this time either. Something to keep your eyes on.......

thewaterboy

-Ski
As someone close to the situation, I concur with Ski. It would definitely be a pay bump for Azz, and perhaps less responsibility. As Wesley has had to tighten its belt lately, the responsibilities that Wesley coaches have to take on are... well... a lot. I'd venture to say that a lot of other schools in the NJAC do not have their coaches taking on as much off the field.

You also have to consider that its a growing experience for Azz as well. He's an offensive-minded guy. Chip Knapp is also an offensive guy and has been at Wesley for 30+ years as the OC and since Drass passed, the Head Coach. I think for Azz its very appealing to not have to leave his hometown and run his own show so to speak as an offensive coordinator. Just my two cents.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: thewaterboy on March 27, 2020, 07:18:03 PM

-Ski
As someone close to the situation, I concur with Ski. It would definitely be a pay bump for Azz, and perhaps less responsibility. As Wesley has had to tighten its belt lately, the responsibilities that Wesley coaches have to take on are... well... a lot. I'd venture to say that a lot of other schools in the NJAC do not have their coaches taking on as much off the field.

You also have to consider that its a growing experience for Azz as well. He's an offensive-minded guy. Chip Knapp is also an offensive guy and has been at Wesley for 30+ years as the OC and since Drass passed, the Head Coach. I think for Azz its very appealing to not have to leave his hometown and run his own show so to speak as an offensive coordinator. Just my two cents.

Makes sense. Thanks WB!

WesleyFB_8

First met Coach Azz at Rutgers during the NJ High school 7 on 7 games. He's the reason for my son playing at Wesley. I remember showing up at the practice fields behind Rutgers Stadium after work and parents were coming up to me telling that a coach from Wesley College wants to talk to you. Coaches from the D-1 schools were there but Coach Azz was right in there with them. Introduced himself to me, handed me his business card, even stuck around after the 7 on 7 tournament to meet my son. Real great guy and wish him all the best. Was always there for me with any questions and concerns whether it was school related or football related. Him and Coach Drass were my main go to coaches for all the info I needed.
As for him leaving I'm not surprised at all, first time I heard anything about it was during the Rowan game back in. 2018 but didn't really think that much of it due to the situation surrounding the team with Coach Drass passing away. Then back in November of 2019 it came up again about Coach Azz leaving. I'm happy for him though, great guy and friend, looking forward to seeing what he does with DSU

RowanPhan

Quote from: RowanPhan on March 16, 2020, 10:09:57 PM
Quote from: RowanPhan on February 28, 2020, 07:16:25 AM
Quote from: JT2 on February 26, 2020, 02:58:49 PM
Quote from: RowanPhan on February 18, 2020, 12:00:07 AM
Quote from: RowanPhan on February 08, 2020, 10:43:17 PM
Any NJAC recruiting news?  Can't find anything related to Rowan at the moment.
The only player I see committed to Rowan is DL Phoenix Gilder (North Hunterdon, 6'3" 240lbs)

First Team All Conference Player, 2018 state champ

I almost read that as Phoenix Glider... but still a cool name.
Congratulations to Anthony DiTorrice on his commitment to play for Rowan University next season.  Same HS as Rowan's NJAC rushing leader, Messiah Divine.

Montgomery High School
Positions: TE, DE
Height & Weight: 5'10" 185lbs
Another Rowan commitment. Chose Rowan over a number of other D3 schools including Montclair State.

Matt DeSarno
#24 Senior RB SS
Wall Township High School
Wall, NJ
Profs welcome Derron Cooney
Gloucester City High School - Gloucester City, NJ
Positions: C, G
Height & Weight: 6'1" 265lbs
Class of: 2020
Go Rowan!