WBB: Little East

Started by Allen M. Karon, March 09, 2004, 03:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiscanton

I would not be too despondent about S. Maine based on the scrimmage yesterday, nor would I be too overconfident about Brandeis.  Both teams belong among the top teams in DIII.

S. Maine played well enough in the second 20 min. period and the third 10 min. period to acquit themselves.  I would discount the first 20 min. of the scrimmage-- if S. Maine got themselves ready for the season as a result, it will only help the Huskies in the end.  S. Maine will still win the Little East.

bearswatcher

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, let's see, Wash U wins starts the season 10-0 and another all mighty Northeast superpower bites the dust. Come one guys, maybe it just isn't the NE's year. Last couple years NE teams spit the bit anyway. UAAUAAUAAUAAUAAUAAUAAUAAUAAUAAUAAUAAUAAUAA
UAAUAAUAAUAAUAAUAAUAAUAAUAAUAAUAAUAAUAAUAA

LA RAMS

How much does Southern Maine REALLY miss Tiffany Jones now?  I would guess
after the debacle this last weekend quite a lot.
"Beating 'SC is not a matter of life or death.  It's more important than that."  Former UCLA Head Football Coach Red Sanders

d3bballinboston

how does a team lose to an unranked team and still get their #1 rating.. and how does salem state not get ranked? so many politics on polls. 

Pat Coleman

Does losing one game on the road automatically make you not the best team in the country anymore? If there were someone clear-cut ready to take their place, they would have gotten it, but nobody believes in anyone right now.

As for Salem, it's tough to go from zero votes to the Top 25 in one week. (which SSC deserved after losing to Clark and not having beaten anyone of consequence) to the Top 25. Since Luther was already doing the same, it was even harder for people to make room for two teams.

Luther won on the road by 20-some points at last year's defending champ. Salem State won at home, where they were 12-1 last year, even in a down year for them (20-7).
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

d3bballinboston

I am just saying if you are unranked and ubeat the #1 team in the country.. dont you think you should be considered to be one of the best 25 in the country if you beat the supposedly #1 team.  Same goes on the other end.. If you are ranked #1 and lose to an unranked team.. you should fall out of that spot.  The voters, in my opinion, arent doing a truthfull job of who the top 25 is .  The top 25 is what the top 25 should be at that very given moment in time. Voters should be thinking that the team's potiential makes them better or that they have a toughschedule down the road. They should only be thinking of the games they played at the very moment.

Pat Coleman

I think you have a should where you mean to have shouldn't in there somewhere.

But yes, I certainly see your point. However, as I said, it's hard to go from absolutely out of the poll to in the Top 25 in one fell swoop. As I said, there was more than one type of situation like that to consider this week, and the other was more impressive.

And no, I don't agree that No. 1 losing on the road at a quality opponent automatically makes them not No. 1. Our poll is pretty consistent, in fact, at not overreacting like that.

Merry Christmas, everyone.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Snowman

Pat,

I am a die in the wool USM fan, but I will tell you, when we came back from Brandeis everyone was none to happy with the result of the scrimmage. Shocked maybe, even though short handed. This is the first time I remember a team holding on to #1 position. Fact is if it was a ranked team that beat us, we would be out of the #1 slot. It is kind of wierd to remain after losing to an unranked team. Voters may think it a fluke, and I think time will tell, but still, very strange.

uofs

pat your topic just doesn`t justify your theory of being ranked.Sure S.Maine lost to a good team on the road but didn`t Millikin also lose on the road when they where ranked #1?By the way great article about Scranton beating the #6 team in the country because when Catholic beat Scranton they where right on the front page and by the way they where not in the top 50 when they beat Scranton but moved up to 23rd justify please?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: uofs on December 25, 2005, 11:10:17 PM
pat your topic just doesn`t justify your theory of being ranked.Sure S.Maine lost to a good team on the road but didn`t Millikin also lose on the road when they where ranked #1?

Yes. And there was a clear-cut No. 1 to take Millikin's place, right?

It's nice to take a couple days off around the holidays. Glad you understand. Not that I fully understand your incredible run-on sentence but I think I got the drift.

Quote from: Snowman on December 25, 2005, 10:46:56 PM
This is the first time I remember a team holding on to #1 position.

It has happened before.

Quote from: Snowman on December 25, 2005, 10:46:56 PM
Fact is if it was a ranked team that beat us, we would be out of the #1 slot.

I'm not sure you can state that as fact, no. If you'd lost to Brandeis or Bowdoin or Wash U or someone capable of being ranked No. 1, then I would say yes, definitely.

Snowman

Pat

I love to see the girls up here do well, as a transplanted Mainer, but this vote just give some legitimacy to those who scream Northeastern bias. I would love to see the breakdown of where the voters are from.

Pat Coleman

Three from each of the eight Division III regions, plus me as the 24th voter. The NE voters are from the LEC, NESCAC and MASCAC.

Snowman

Pat,

Ok so USM gets a 1st place vote from their voter as does Bowdoin from theirs... Does the UAA a voter in the mix?

Now when you look at it, Brandeis their votes are more impressive considering the above, I would "assume" Wash U's votes would mean more as well.

Pat Coleman

Did Bowdoin get any No. 1 votes at all?

Just because a voter has a conference affiliation does not mean he or she automatically votes lock-step with a conference bias.

Snowman

Pat,

Point taken, but it seems that the conference and then regional bias is natural...you didn't answer whether the UAA has a vote