MIAA

Started by d3fan1, June 11, 2009, 11:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3fan1

Does anyone have any thoughts on the MIAA for 2009. I see Calvin has a brutal schedule with teams like Wheaton,OWU, Kenyon, Rutgers-Camden,and Wittenberg. If they can get through that schedule successfully, they should be battle tested and ready for the conference, and possible a better run than they had in the tournament the last couple of years.

d3fan1

The number of MIAA fans out there is overwheming!!!

Jim Matson

Give it time!  They will come!

Calvin does indeed have a strong schedule, but they do schedule Wheaton almost every year. 

Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

d3fan1

Wheaton is in fact a perinial opponent, but there has been a marked upgrade in the rest of the non-conference opponents. If they can win a majority of these games, they will be ready to not only appear in the tournament, but advance.

neddy

I think recent history tells us that Calvin and Hope are the odds on favorites. I would love to see a competitve league season. Pre-league scheduling looks strong for most of the teams. I thought last year would be a 4 team race w/ Calvin/Hope/Hornets and Albion. I was so wrong.  Maybe this will be a good year- if Trine and Olivet can build on last year, if Kalamazoo can find the way back and will Albion ever get over the hump?- may the answer be yes-to all of these "things". Try and remember- the next game could be your last.

d3fan1

I think Trine may be a darkhorse this year. They play tough, aggresssive soccer and seem to be on the rise. Calvin should be hard to beat and Hope is equally as strong. Who are going to be the key players in the league this year?

d3fan1

How do you think the MIAA will fare in their non-conference schedules this year? Especially against Ohio teams?

Dark Knight

With the MIAA moving to the Central region this year, this board and its posts should perhaps be moved.

d3fan1

Dark Knight

The MIAA is apparently moving into the central division this year. Anyone know why?

Is this a general reorganization with the great lakes division disappearing? (I can't imagine any conference that would more deserve to be in a "great lakes" division that the MIAA...)

How do the best teams compare in the (old?) GL and in the central division?

Kzoo fan

Kalamazoo Men beat Western Michigan 2-1 in an exhibition match.  The Hornets looked very confident and in control, even though they were subbing in freshmen quite liberally.  Go Hornets!

WLCALUM83

Quote from: Dark Knight on August 11, 2009, 11:07:26 AM
The MIAA is apparently moving into the central division this year. Anyone know why?

Is this a general reorganization with the great lakes division disappearing? (I can't imagine any conference that would more deserve to be in a "great lakes" division that the MIAA...)

How do the best teams compare in the (old?) GL and in the central division?

Dominican (Northern Athletics Conference) and a couple of the WIAC schools have been Central Region powers over the years. Though my knowledge of the old GL is limited, I'd say that region is a touch stronger-going from what I've seen in rankings.

d3fan1

Calvin beat Wheaton today 2-1 in a game that they dominated most of the first half then Wheaton ,who is an excellent team, came out well the 2nd half, but Calvin withstood the attack and got the win. Calvin looks to be 15 or 16 deep with no real weaknesses.
Another MIAA team in action today was Hope who beat Kenyon 3-0. The MIAA is looking very strong early.

Jim Matson

Great win by Calvin.  They've not defeated Wheaton in 17 years.  And it sounded like they had to play some tough defense in the second half to keep Wheaton off the board.
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

d3fan1

Another great win by Calvin 1-0 over Kenyon. Look for Calvin to move into the rankings this week.