World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJrexSoccer03

Just to throw this in there.

If you took Vardy to get the "Golden Boot" and Leicester to win the premier league for 1 chicken wing. You would make 2.5 million chicken wings. 

I wish I had a chicken wing right now! Although I don't see Leicester winning the premier league.

lastguyoffthebench

I need to look at Aguero odds now, probably decent value for most goals

blooter442

Mourinho's gone. While I can understand why, I think it's more due to the players under-performing than anything he's done that Chelsea has been so poor this year. Pretty much the same team as last year, Costa's not firing, Hazard's not firing, Cahill is overrated and bang average at best, and Terry is past it. Costa needs to focus more on scoring goals and less on starting fights. I appreciate the competitive spirit, but not only does he hinge on dirty play but he's let it get in the way of his actual form.

Speaking of managers up for the sack, I think Van Gaal could very well be next. Even with United being in the race due to the PL being lower in quality this year than in years' past, I still would fancy City or Arsenal to go on a run way more than United. He spent a ton of money, sure, but it's clear that he isn't getting them to play well. The pieces are in place but LvG is just living on his past reputation at this point, I think a guy like Ancelotti or Guardiola would make that team play even without a proper striker. (Martial was over-hyped, did well at first and Utd fans thought he was the second coming, but is still a kid with just 2 goals in his last 17 games.)

When you think about it, LvG is a good manager based on his legacy, but there have been many better in my opinion - Fergie, Guardiola, Wenger, Ancelotti, etc. In my book, even Mourinho! One thing you can't argue with is his CL wins, but even that seems to be beyond him given he finished behind PSV and Wolfsburg. The big thing is he's lost the dressing room, the players are unhappy with him, the fans are furious with him, and the board is starting to get concerned. They may decide to not risk it waiting for Guardiola, and might try to get Ancelotti now, because I think that's their best bet. I'm not a United fan at all, and I enjoy watching them lose, but they deserve better than Van Gaal.

lastguyoffthebench

288 coffee beans grinds down to 200 on Schalke 04 over Hoffenheim today...

lastguyoffthebench

Is Dave Brandt heading to Chelsea?

Jump4Joy

Good-bye, O Special One!
How many lives does he have left?
Not the last we'll see of him...

NJrexSoccer03

Quote from: Jump4Joy on December 18, 2015, 02:25:05 PM
Good-bye, O Special One!
How many lives does he have left?
Not the last we'll see of him...

Could his next stop be Man U? I mean LVG looks to be hated  by many at Man U. I'd have to think the only way LVG gets ousted though is if he doesn't obtain champions league qualification.

blooter442

Quote from: blooter442 on December 17, 2015, 02:28:54 PM
Speaking of managers up for the sack, I think Van Gaal could very well be next.

He wasn't next, and it took 158 days for it to happen, but my prediction finally came to fruition and Van Gaal was sacked. With how poorly United treated Moyes and how much leniency LvG (who, admittedly, was a better manager and has a much more illustrious CV) was given — coupled with his arrogance — I can't say I feel bad for the guy.

Mr. Ypsi

Neither World Cup or European, but USA finished fourth in the COPA this evening, losing to Columbia 1-0.  Argentina (who whupped USA 4-0) will face Chile tomorrow for the title.

jknezek

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 25, 2016, 10:51:39 PM
Neither World Cup or European, but USA finished fourth in the COPA this evening, losing to Columbia 1-0.  Argentina (who whupped USA 4-0) will face Chile tomorrow for the title.

Lot of discussion in the Premiere League thread. That's just where it ended up for Copa America.

Mr. Ypsi

jk, thanks!  But this is back to World Cup: Lionel Messi announced his retirement from international soccer.  I'm guessing he was just overly emotional after a third finals loss in three years (2014 WC plus 2015 and 2016 Copa).  When the WC comes in 2018, I'm betting he'll be there - comments?

jknezek

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 27, 2016, 04:35:12 PM
jk, thanks!  But this is back to World Cup: Lionel Messi announced his retirement from international soccer.  I'm guessing he was just overly emotional after a third finals loss in three years (2014 WC plus 2015 and 2016 Copa).  When the WC comes in 2018, I'm betting he'll be there - comments?

Very likely. Especially once Adidas gets done explaining to him what his endorsement contract will be worth if he turns his back on his home country.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: jknezek on June 27, 2016, 04:50:32 PM

Very likely. Especially once Adidas gets done explaining to him what his endorsement contract will be worth if he turns his back on his home country.

I've often read that he thinks his home country has turned its back on him.  He is supposedly vastly more popular in Spain than in Argentina.

jknezek

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 27, 2016, 06:23:56 PM
Quote from: jknezek on June 27, 2016, 04:50:32 PM

I've often read that he thinks his home country has turned its back on him.  He is supposedly vastly more popular in Spain than in Argentina.

Probably true though his tax fraud trial may change that. Still Adidas will want him at the World Cup. I think Argentina is sitting OK in qualifying so he may take a few rounds off before coming back to get ready for the World Cup.

blooter442

* Joke about England going out of Europe twice in one week. *