2016 Schedules

Started by Mid-Atlantic Fan, March 15, 2016, 09:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Domino1195

Yep - on several points.  Since I first stepped on a field 50+ years ago we still have yet to adopt the "American" style of play.  We've been made to feel inadequate about so many aspects of our game - as it compares styles around the globe - yet there are things we do bring to the game that define us (the energy Zusi expended the entire game is an example)  - and that could bring us success. 

We need a coach that will  embrace our strengths, use formations that protect against our weaknesses and ultimately find the 11 players that have the best chemistry - not necesssarily the best 11 (see Beckerman). We have speed, strength and endurance - and we can keep possession.  We are not going to break down a packed-in defense in their defensive 3rd - so we need to mix things up with more direct play at timely moments (last night's first goal). Klinsmann showed fear against Germany and Belgium - we could have run circles around those fence posts Germany calls defenders (see Ghana - see the game at home against the Cameroon prior to the cup - Germany had to hang on for dear life in both games).

But this is a US Soccer issue - they are as much at fault for not believing in the millions of kids born here, playing their entire lives here and who have contributed to defining our game.

jknezek

What irritates me is it is something the women's team does so darn well and yet in the men's game we are so determined to play like everyone else. Our women's team is a group of outstanding athletes. Compared to Japan, Germany, Brazil with Marta, we were outclassed in "soccer" talent, but we beat the snot out of them in athletes and fitness across the field. Early in the last year's Women's World Cup we were being forced to play a style that didn't fit by the coach and the team struggled. When they went back to what worked after the group games they buried all that came against them.

I don't think the men's team can win a World Cup the way the women can, but more running and guts and less focus on pretty soccer is the way to get the most out of the current player pool that we have. Sadly our soccer cognoscenti aren't willing to accept that style as what we can do right now. So we have JK trying to make square pegs fit in round holes and reverting back to what works when he becomes desperate.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Any more schedule releases?

NEsoccerfan

I don't see a schedule release for Brandeis, but according to the "D3soccer.com Scoreboard" John Carrol is playing at Brandeis on Thursday September 1st and Haverford is playing at Brandeis on Sunday September 4th. Can anyone confirm these games?

If true, the match-up of Brandeis v. Haverford would be one of the best opening weekend match-ups in the country.

NEPAFAN

A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: NEPAFAN on April 14, 2016, 11:44:01 AM
Lycoming's schedule is up..

http://athletics.lycoming.edu/schedule.aspx?path=msoc

Wow. Has to be a top 10 or even top 5 schedule in the country next season. Thoughts?

blooter442

Quote from: NEsoccerfan on April 12, 2016, 02:51:48 PM
I don't see a schedule release for Brandeis, but according to the "D3soccer.com Scoreboard" John Carrol is playing at Brandeis on Thursday September 1st and Haverford is playing at Brandeis on Sunday September 4th. Can anyone confirm these games?

If true, the match-up of Brandeis v. Haverford would be one of the best opening weekend match-ups in the country.

Affirmative. Brandeis' schedule is up: http://brandeisjudges.com/sports/msoc/2016-17/schedule

The Judges are hosting the Brandeis Invitational, playing John Carroll on Saturday the 3rd and Haverford on Sunday the 4th. The Fords are stacked, and while Brandeis will be at home, I think Haverford will really give them a run for their money.

In addition to those games and the UAA schedule, Brandeis has, in my opinion, four other notable non-conference tests, including away to Babson (9/10), home against Tufts (9/24), away to Wheaton (9/27) and away to MIT (10/5). A fairly predictable schedule given past years, but a strong one nonetheless.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: NEsoccerfan on April 12, 2016, 02:51:48 PM

Lycoming vs Rowan on Thursday and @F&M on Saturday...might top Brandeis' start. Very tough for both teams!

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Lycoming with non-conference schedule of Rowan, @F&M, @Susquehanna, @Eastern, @Haverford, @Juniata, Scranton, Frostburg, Case Western Reserve, @Misericordia, @Oneonta St....

Games vs 6 NCAA tournament teams from last year including 4 of those on the road and that doesn't take into account traveling to Messiah at least once...very, very tough. 

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Using records from last year here is the breakdown for Lycoming's schedule. Can someone please see if someone else will have a higher SOS based off of last year? Camden? Oneonta? Tufts? Amherst? Brandeis? Haverford? All are close I would imagine.

Non-conference schedule: 141-63-14 (8-6 in NCAA tournament) 1 Final 4 team, 1 Elite 8 team, 1 Sweet 16 team, 1 second round team, and 2 first round teams

Conference schedule: 69-75-13

Overall: 210-138-27 opponents record

For comparison Messiah plays two NCAA tournament teams from last year, one non-conference team which lost in the 2nd round being Wash. & Lee and the other being Lycoming.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on April 15, 2016, 11:01:53 AM
Using records from last year here is the breakdown for Lycoming's schedule. Can someone please see if someone else will have a higher SOS based off of last year? Camden? Oneonta? Tufts? Amherst? Brandeis? Haverford? All are close I would imagine.

Non-conference schedule: 141-63-14 (8-6 in NCAA tournament) 1 Final 4 team, 1 Elite 8 team, 1 Sweet 16 team, 1 second round team, and 2 first round teams

For comparison Messiah plays two NCAA tournament teams from last year, one non-conference team which lost in the 2nd round being Wash. & Lee and the other being Lycoming.

I was also checking out their roster, doesn't look like they are losing anything from their team last year. No Seniors on the squad?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: NEPAFAN on April 15, 2016, 01:41:12 PM

I was also checking out their roster, doesn't look like they are losing anything from their team last year. No Seniors on the squad?

Yes that is one thing I mentioned at the end of last year. A Sweet 16 team that loses at Amherst with no seniors would be very dangerous next season. I must say I am a little shocked at how tough they made the non-conference portion of the schedule. I expected a slight increase in teams after all the chatter about their borderline SOS of the magical cutoff line, but this has to be over .600 right? Well over I would think. Close to .615 possibly? Not sure how to calculate it this is just my guess from last years records.

blooter442

Brandeis' opponents on this year's schedule breaks down to these numbers:

185-128-31 (.582)

7 NCAA teams
2 Round of 64 teams (Babson, Carnegie)
2 Round of 32 teams (Chicago, WashU)
2 Sweet 16 teams (MIT, Tufts)
1 Elite 8 team (Haverford)

I'm impressed by Coven (and Margolis)'s seemingly newfound penchant for scheduling tough early-season contests against national powerhouses. The Judges lost to Trinity last year, but that was a learning experience for them, and they went on to win the UAA and make the Sweet 16. I think Haverford this year could be an even tougher test. Perhaps the opponents' losses were a bit offset, as the Judges played three middle-of-the-road teams who endured 12+ losses (Lasell, MMA, Nichols) — take those three out, and the OWP goes up to .652. That said, you play against who you play against, and those numbers don't mean anything. Rather, I am just opining that three teams made Brandeis' OWP much lower than the rest of the schedule.

The fact that Brandeis has played Tufts the last three (now it will be four) years is a great litmus test for both teams, coming before the heart of conference play. The one thing I would like to see them add to their schedule is perhaps another NESCAC team, someone like Wesleyan, although this would be difficult given that — bar Tufts — Brandeis is at least an hour from every NESCAC, and has to block off most of its weekends for UAA travel. Perhaps, as I've said before, they could move Tufts to a Tuesday or Wednesday and then open up a slot for another NESCAC this weekend? Obviously, there are some logistical things to figure out, but it is plausible I think. Either way, a solid schedule nonetheless.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on April 15, 2016, 02:40:25 PM
Quote from: NEPAFAN on April 15, 2016, 01:41:12 PM

Yes that is one thing I mentioned at the end of last year. A Sweet 16 team that loses at Amherst with no seniors would be very dangerous next season. I must say I am a little shocked at how tough they made the non-conference portion of the schedule. I expected a slight increase in teams after all the chatter about their borderline SOS of the magical cutoff line, but this has to be over .600 right? Well over I would think. Close to .615 possibly? Not sure how to calculate it this is just my guess from last years records.

I don't do math unless I have to ;)  Hope one of their few losses next year is to Scranton..;)
Vince Lombardi

D3soccerwatcher

https://www.facebook.com/MessiahMensSoccer/photos/a.378515705505627.94337.180138298676703/1162003760490147/?type=3&theater

Messiah soccer alumni game from this past Saturday -- pic from their Facebook page.  Strong support like that is one of several reasons why a program like Messiah may have been down a bit last season but they won't be out for long.