FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Just a rumor, but I heard that Mark Zuckerberg took a shine to BJ and told him to hire Chris Creighton and Eric Raeburn as assistants and damn the price 'cuz Mark will pick up the tab. ;D

wally_wabash

Just some perspective on the magnitude of the job Coach Hammer just took on, beyond inheriting a team that is 1 for its last 30...the following are statistical categories that Allegheny was last in the NCAC in 2015, along with the NCAA ranks:

3rd down Conversion% - 237/241
3rd down Conversion% Defense - 231/241
Completion % - 224/241
First downs defense - 221/241
Passes Had Intercepted - 222/241
Passes Intercepted - 228/238
Passing Offense - 214/241
Pass Yards Allowed - 231/241
Red Zone Offense - 228/241
Rush Defense - 226/241
Rush Offense - 239/241
Scoring Defense - 231/241
Pass Efficiency - 237/241
Pass Efficiency Defense - 240/241
Team Sacks - 217/240
Team TFL - 212/241
Turnover Margin - 232/240

Not listed- Total offense, where Allegheny did about 195 ypg and the lowest ranked team listed by the NCAA (Finlandia) had 205 ypg.  And Allegheny's scoring offense (8.9 ppg) which is just under the 241st ranked Sewanee (9.0 ppg). 

This is an incredible challenge.  The good news is that Allegheny can quite literally only improve.  I haven't had enough time to digest this yet so I don't know what the realistic 4-year expectation can be here.  Getting to .500 in four years might be about the best coaching job in D3.  Is that even reasonable?  I'm not ready to answer that. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

bashbrother

The tough questions to answer at this point are:   Why did the Allegheny program take a nose dive and can coaching alone fix it?

I wish Coach Hammer the best. 

Does Wabash play Allegheny at home or away next year?

Why should you go for it on 4th down?

"To overcome the disappointment of not making it on third down." -- Washington State Coach Mike Leach

Schwami

Quote from: sigma one on January 04, 2016, 06:50:04 PM
BJ and his coaches need to rent an apartment in Pittsburgh and recruit the h--l out of the WPIAL.  Allegheny had too few quality, and too few total, western PA players on their roster this year.   Despite the competition from other colleges, there's still talent to be had if he can  convince recruits to overlook the last three years of futility.  New coach; new approach; new era:   he can sell that, I believe, because he is an excellent recruiter.  Of course, his assistants need to do a lot of the leg work, too.  It will be interesting to see how he organizes his staff.  I am sure that was a topic of discussion on his way to the new job.

I've got a couple of spare rooms they can borrow . . .

I went to the Wabash - Allegheny game this past season and can honestly say it was the only time I did not look forward to seeing a Wabash game.  There was no doubt in my mind that Wabash could name the score they wanted to put up and there was nothing the Gators could do to stop it.  Shocking, really, what has happened in Meadville.  I give the Gator players credit --- they played hard --- but were not close to Wabash in talent or depth.
Long shall we sing thy praises, Old Wabash

wally_wabash

Quote from: bashbrother on January 04, 2016, 11:34:23 PM
Does Wabash play Allegheny at home or away next year?

The Gators are the home opener at the Hollett in 2016. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

wabco

Love you BJ ... but Wabash first home game of the year ... Wabash will put the Hammer down.  (Yuk Yuk Yuk).

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Schwami on January 05, 2016, 09:26:14 AM
Quote from: sigma one on January 04, 2016, 06:50:04 PM
BJ and his coaches need to rent an apartment in Pittsburgh and recruit the h--l out of the WPIAL.  Allegheny had too few quality, and too few total, western PA players on their roster this year.   Despite the competition from other colleges, there's still talent to be had if he can  convince recruits to overlook the last three years of futility.  New coach; new approach; new era:   he can sell that, I believe, because he is an excellent recruiter.  Of course, his assistants need to do a lot of the leg work, too.  It will be interesting to see how he organizes his staff.  I am sure that was a topic of discussion on his way to the new job.

I've got a couple of spare rooms they can borrow . . .

I went to the Wabash - Allegheny game this past season and can honestly say it was the only time I did not look forward to seeing a Wabash game.  There was no doubt in my mind that Wabash could name the score they wanted to put up and there was nothing the Gators could do to stop it.  Shocking, really, what has happened in Meadville.  I give the Gator players credit --- they played hard --- but were not close to Wabash in talent or depth.

Recruiting the heck out of western PA is the single biggest key to improving Allegheny.  There's talent there and they need to start getting some of it.  Hammer has a tough hill to climb, but he can very realistically tell kids they can come there and play immediately.  Plus kids want to play for young guys.  He's going to get some guys there.  It's a question of how much of an overhaul does that roster need?  If he needs to rebuild his entire starting 22 it's going to be rocky. 

Did you Wabash guys think Hammer's next HC job would be something like Allegheny or something better?  As an outsider, I kind of thought the latter initially, but Allegheny has tradition, good location, good academics, etc. going for it.  Plus he's familiar with the NCAC teams already so his D will be tough the moment he gets the guys on campus he wants.   

Wabash1

I thought he would make the jump to the next level as a defensive lineman or linebacker coach at the D1 level. He knows what he wants and as long as he's happy that's all that matters. Wish him the best he is a great coach!

wally_wabash

Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 05, 2016, 11:37:42 AM
Recruiting the heck out of western PA is the single biggest key to improving Allegheny.  There's talent there and they need to start getting some of it.  Hammer has a tough hill to climb, but he can very realistically tell kids they can come there and play immediately.  Plus kids want to play for young guys.  He's going to get some guys there.  It's a question of how much of an overhaul does that roster need?  If he needs to rebuild his entire starting 22 it's going to be rocky. 

I mean, pretty much all of it.  Nick Murgo, LB (rising junior) is the only all-league player the Gators have.  Past that, there's not much there.  And I'm not trying to pile on here, but over the last three years where Allegheny is 1-29, the aggregate scores of these games are Allegheny 300, Opponents 1,203.  Every game is 40-10 for three years.  If that's happening, in this league, you don't have players.  And I know that seems like a shot at the league (I do believe that the overall quality of the NCAC has improved markedly in these three years where Allegheny has bottomed out), but Allegheny shouldn't be getting beat by 4-5 touchdowns, every game, against all of these teams.  And that's what has happened.   I don't think it's even remotely debatable that Allegheny has been passed, and significantly so, by every team in the NCAC in terms of roster talent. 

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: wally_wabash on January 05, 2016, 11:53:24 AM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 05, 2016, 11:37:42 AM
I mean, pretty much all of it.  Nick Murgo, LB (rising junior) is the only all-league player the Gators have.  Past that, there's not much there.  And I'm not trying to pile on here, but over the last three years where Allegheny is 1-29, the aggregate scores of these games are Allegheny 300, Opponents 1,203.  Every game is 40-10 for three years.  If that's happening, in this league, you don't have players.  And I know that seems like a shot at the league (I do believe that the overall quality of the NCAC has improved markedly in these three years where Allegheny has bottomed out), but Allegheny shouldn't be getting beat by 4-5 touchdowns, every game, against all of these teams.  And that's what has happened.   I don't think it's even remotely debatable that Allegheny has been passed, and significantly so, by every team in the NCAC in terms of roster talent. 
My question, is this there  decline in all or most of Allegheny's sports or is it just Football. I follow Baseball more closely and Allegheny has kept a status quot in Baseball. Usually the second best team in the East division and making the NCAC tournament. They were 2 and done the last two years. But Oberlin got hot at the right time, last year. What about soccer and we know about basketball. Historically how have the other programs done compared to today. If there is a decline in all the programs, is there a systemic problem? Does the athletic department not get the support required?

smedindy

Is Allegheny's demise linked to the loss of the Mud Bowl?

smedindy

Allegheny's men's hoops teams have had some issues recently. They had a coaching change recently and have taken their lumps again.

Their women's hoopsters are traditionally middle of the pack. Volleyball and softball the same. Women's and men's soccer weren't that great. They don't have men's LAX but have women's.

It seems they don't have a 'standout' sport like so many in the NCAC do.

sigma one

I follow NCAC cross country and track and field closely.  Allegheny won this fall's (2015) cc championship.  They also won cc titles from 2004 through 2010 (7 straight) and in 2012.  Going back a few years the Gators won 5 consecutive track and field titles, both both indoors and outdoors--a total of 10 straight championships.  In recent years they have fallen off this standard.  Since 2010, they have not finished higher than 3rd in any NCAC T&F championship meet..  Often, they have been 5th or 6th.
     The tradition of distance running is very strong.  Without looking through the championship results for all sports, my memory tells me that on the men's side cross country has been consistently their best sport over the past decade.   

Fear the Poet

Congratulations to Coach Hammer and his family.
"using the whole fist there, Doc"

bashbrother

Now the question becomes who does Wabash get to lead the defense?    There is a ton of talent returning and plenty of depth ready to fill the holes created by graduation.    The unit is certainly poised to once again be great.    You would think that it is a pretty attractive spot for a coach looking at furthering their career.    Can/Do we promote from within or go outside.   Is the hiring process a "by committee" event like hiring a head coach?   
Why should you go for it on 4th down?

"To overcome the disappointment of not making it on third down." -- Washington State Coach Mike Leach