FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigma one

The Defensive Coordinator position is now listed in the Human Resources section of the Wabash website for those interested in the details.

DPU3619

Quote from: bashbrother on January 05, 2016, 04:23:54 PM
Now the question becomes who does Wabash get to lead the defense?    There is a ton of talent returning and plenty of depth ready to fill the holes created by graduation.    The unit is certainly poised to once again be great.    You would think that it is a pretty attractive spot for a coach looking at furthering their career.    Can/Do we promote from within or go outside.   Is the hiring process a "by committee" event like hiring a head coach?

Feels like a pretty good opportunity to hire from within. You certainly don't want to reinvent the wheel. What Hammer has built needs to continue, in my opinion. And I don't think you do that by hiring somebody from outside and dictating what the D has to be.

I like David Denham a lot. He is a great DL coach. But he's the ST coordinator. So I don't know if that's even an option on the table.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Old Pal Wes on January 06, 2016, 01:28:29 AM
Now the question becomes who does Wabash get to lead the defense?    There is a ton of talent returning and plenty of depth ready to fill the holes created by graduation.    The unit is certainly poised to once again be great.    You would think that it is a pretty attractive spot for a coach looking at furthering their career.    Can/Do we promote from within or go outside.   Is the hiring process a "by committee" event like hiring a head coach?

Feels like a pretty good opportunity to hire from within. You certainly don't want to reinvent the wheel. What Hammer has built needs to continue, in my opinion. And I don't think you do that by hiring somebody from outside and dictating what the D has to be.

I like David Denham a lot. He is a great DL coach. But he's the ST coordinator. So I don't know if that's even an option on the table.

I think all things are possible at the moment and I think Wabash is in a good position here for three reasons:
1- The opening is going to be attractive to outside applicants who want to be part of what Wabash and ER are doing
2- There are excellent assistants who are already excellent potential candidates- Denham is one.  Jeff Franklin is another that I like a lot. 
3- I think the idea that Coach Hammer was going to get an HC opportunity has been a when-not-if situation for at least a couple of years now.  I don't think the need to find a DC is catching anybody with their pants down.

So whether it's a reshuffle of current staff or a new hire altogether, I think ER has had some kind of plan to deal with this eventuality.  LGs are going to be ok. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

badgerwarhawk

Whoever steps into the job has a defense with seven of eleven starters in the St Thomas game returning.  I imagine several others off the two deep as well.  It looks like the middle of your D line needs to be replaced but otherwise it's a solid group of returnees.   Your defense is already dominating so I would tend to think that the LGs are going to be just fine.  A year ago there was considerable talk about ER and the WARHAWKS job which clearly would have had a much more significant impact on the status of the program so this is a mere distraction.  ;)
"Just think twice is my only advice."

firstdown

Badgerwarhawk conclusions are spot on.  While Wabash does lose two key players from the middle of the defensive line due to graduation, several d line players who are underclassmen also played these positions during the 2015 season.  By the end of the season, they were able to step forward particularly in the playoff games to give the starters a rest and performed quite well.

The new DC will have a lot of talent and experience to work with on the defensive side of the ball.  Coach Hammer had a similar situation when he arrived for the 2011 season and was able to help Coach Raeburn engineer a run to third round of the playoffs in 2011.  The retooling in 2012 and 2013, which were very good defenses in their own right, was supplemented by recruiting to fit the defensive schemes that led to the strong defensive performances in 2014 and 2015 and the playoffs both those years. 

Coach Hammer was particularly  adept at making adjustments during the games to improve the defensive performance.  Perhaps of greater importance was the confidence that the players in Coach's ability to make the right adjustments so they didn't panic or get down if things didn't go quite right early on in the games.

sigma one

Among the seven defensive starters returning for Wabash in 2016, four were first-team All NCAC:  Ethan Buresh (LB, rush end), Ludwig (LB), Pettiford (DB), Brown (DB).  All four also received all-North Region recognition  This is a strong nucleus to build on for the new DC.  The other three coming back are Hansen (LB started in 2015 as a freshman), Parks (who many believed should have been at least second-team All NCAC as a DB; he got HM). The others on defense probably used up about as much oxygen as the selectors could tolerate.  Finally, Bowden (LB). 
     Starters returning on offense include two first-team All NCAC linemen:  Stucker and Sturdivant.  A second-team All NCC running back:  Johnson (not technically a "starter," but still good enough behind Zurek to have gotten about a third of the carries before he was injured).  The second-team All-NCAC TE:  Fullencamp.  The first-team kicker:  Tutsie.
     Other returning offensive starters Leath (OL), Wyatt (OL, started a few games), Christen (WR), who was second-team All NCAC in 2014, Page and Thomas (freshmen who started the second half of the season at WR), and Rice (QB).  To this group, add Dylan Buresh (TE), Webberhunt (LB), and McMann (S)--all of whom were first-line backups who played a significant amount.  Alston and Simpson both played a lot of snaps on the defensive line behind the three all-conference players who are gone.  Fox, the punter, also returns.
     The cupboard is hardly bare despite the loss of some really really good players, two of them--Zurek and McCullen--who are among the best I've seen in the last 20 years--with Zurek possibly the best running back in Wabash history along with Stan Huntsman.  But Huntsman played in the early 1950s and produced the two best single-game rushing totals and best yds/attempt until Zurek went crazy at the end of last year. 

SaintsFAN

Quote from: wally_wabash on January 06, 2016, 09:54:38 AM
Quote from: Old Pal Wes on January 06, 2016, 01:28:29 AM

I think all things are possible at the moment and I think Wabash is in a good position here for three reasons:
1- The opening is going to be attractive to outside applicants who want to be part of what Wabash and ER are doing
2- There are excellent assistants who are already excellent potential candidates- Denham is one.  Jeff Franklin is another that I like a lot. 
3- I think the idea that Coach Hammer was going to get an HC opportunity has been a when-not-if situation for at least a couple of years now.  I don't think the need to find a DC is catching anybody with their pants down.

So whether it's a reshuffle of current staff or a new hire altogether, I think ER has had some kind of plan to deal with this eventuality.  LGs are going to be ok.

Love the idea of Denham as the Wabash DC... If he's not on his way with Hammer to Allegheny.. He's tight with BJ Hammer, yeah?
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

Old Gold Tiger

DePauw's 2016 schedule opens with Mt. St. Joseph rather than Earlham.  Obviously a tougher test and better means of preparing for league play.

http://depauwtigers.com/sports/fball/2016-17/schedule

SaintsFAN

Quote from: Old Gold Tiger on January 07, 2016, 05:31:21 PM
DePauw's 2016 schedule opens with Mt. St. Joseph rather than Earlham.  Obviously a tougher test and better means of preparing for league play.

VERY surprised MSJ would schedule a non doormat for a non conference game.  Did they have a coaching staff turnover I'm not aware of????
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

Li'l Giant

That's a good game.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

BashDad

Quote from: Li'l Giant on January 07, 2016, 11:37:53 PM

That's a good game.

Maybe? I think Depauw would have to be a pretty healthy favorite.

wally_wabash

Quote from: BashDad on January 08, 2016, 11:07:09 AM

That's a good game.

Just off the cuff here, I'd probably make DPU somewhere around a 3 TD favorite in that game. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Li'l Giant

Quote from: wally_wabash on January 08, 2016, 11:18:28 AM
Quote from: BashDad on January 08, 2016, 11:07:09 AM

That's a good game.

Just off the cuff here, I'd probably make DPU somewhere around a 3 TD favorite in that game. 

I don't really keep up with the pick 'ems anymore but I'd take MSJ if you had a 21 point line on that.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

sigma one

Way too early for much of this, but . . .Mt St Joseph returns Garrett Weaver, a rising sophomore wide receiver who caught 17 TD passes as a freshman (an NCAA record for a first-year player, I believe).  He averaged almost 23 yds/reception.  All in all, they graduate only four starters, but two of them are their QB and lead running back.  They return their top three receivers.  I seem to recall that the Lions frequently lose some underclass players year on year.  They averaged 39 points per game and 435 yds of total offenses, while giving up 29 points and 393 offensive yards. 
     Watching Weaver and Hunt the younger on the same field might be a treat. 
     I would tend to side with Wally's three-TD early margin, however.  I'm just not sure the team that finished second in the HCAC, and were soundly whipped by Franklin (although defeating Rose-Hulman) will match up all that well with DPU.  Still, a better game by a lot for the Tigers than Earlham would have been.

smedindy

The Waynetown YMCA would be a tougher test than Earlham.