FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

regaleagle

Quote from: tigerfanalso on September 10, 2013, 01:30:30 PM
Is Bridgewater that good or is St. Vincent really bad ?
Yes and yes. BC looks improved from last year and this Saturday will tell more. Greensboro looks improved from last year and much more athletic than S Vincents. Still early doe

hasanova

St. Vincent is a 7-year program coming off an 0-10 season.  They've had one winning season at 6-5 in 2011.  SVU is now 0-4 against the Eagles, who probably schedule this series to support Head Coach Bob Colbert, a former BC Assistant.

jknezek

St. Vincent has won 10 games in the last 6 seasons. They posted a bagel in three of them, including last year, and have pretty limited expectations this year. Bridgewater did exactly what they needed to do, but I can't imagine it was all that helpful for the upcoming ODAC grind. Greensboro and Ferrum should both be better, but the pasting E&H laid on Ferrum brings that into question as well. Ferrum gets a shot at Shenandoah this week, if they struggle at home versus the Hornets I think we can pretty much give Bridgewater a pass through their OOC schedule.

Bridgewater basically gets a 4 game running start at the season. St. Vincent, Greensboro, Ferrum and Shenandoah. I just can't quite shake the visual of Coyote chasing Road Runner into a wall at Everett Stadium in their first real game 10/12.

regaleagle

Quote from: jknezek on September 10, 2013, 01:54:16 PM

St. Vincent has won 10 games in the last 6 seasons. They posted a bagel in three of them, including last year, and have pretty limited expectations this year. Bridgewater did exactly what they needed to do, but I can't imagine it was all that helpful for the upcoming ODAC grind. Greensboro and Ferrum should both be better, but the pasting E&H laid on Ferrum brings that into question as well. Ferrum gets a shot at Shenandoah this week, if they struggle at home versus the Hornets I think we can pretty much give Bridgewater a pass through their OOC schedule.

Bridgewater basically gets a 4 game running start at the season. St. Vincent, Greensboro, Ferrum and Shenandoah. I just can't quite shake the visual of Coyote chasing Road Runner into a wall at Everett Stadium in their first real game 10/12.
Got me laughing with that image.  Your right on the mark though. If BC comes into that game 4-0 and with convincing wins in all 4 then they stand a shot. It is a tough place to get a win.
That's why we play this game.

hasanova

Some great photos by the Greensboro News & Record taken during the 17th annual Soup Bowl:

http://www.news-record.com/football/collection_01eaf288-1814-11e3-8160-001a4bcf6878.html

Thanks, Joseph Rodriguez!

abnrgr

Shall I say something controversial?

I'll put money down that BC ran that score and it would have been 70-0 if time was not running

It's a typical Eagle thing. Run it up. Feel good. Then somebody like HSC will pop that bubble. I watched them do it for 4 years. Probably still in their blood
Never shall I leave a fallen comrade

BCQBFAN

I think you're wrong.  The defense scored two of the td's on fumble returns.  #2 & #3 QB's were in from middle of the 3rd quarter on and lots of backup defenders played.  I think the number of BC kids that got into the game was in the 60's or low 70's by games end.

hasanova

Quote from: BCQBFAN on September 10, 2013, 07:45:18 PM
I think you're wrong.  The defense scored two of the td's on fumble returns.  #2 & #3 QB's were in from middle of the 3rd quarter on and lots of backup defenders played.  I think the number of BC kids that got into the game was in the 60's or low 70's by games end.
Participation chart in the boxscore shows 76 Eagles played at least one down.

regaleagle

Quote from: abnrgr on September 10, 2013, 07:05:29 PM
Shall I say something controversial?

I'll put money down that BC ran that score and it would have been 70-0 if time was not running

It's a typical Eagle thing. Run it up. Feel good. Then somebody like HSC will pop that bubble. I watched them do it for 4 years. Probably still in their blood
Not controversial, just wrong.  Doesn't matter anyhow, like I said, if they win next 3 games with relative ease then they get a shot at one of the big dogs of conference to see how good they are. Long way to go and plenty to improve upon.

abnrgr

You guys are easy ;). Skoal, Kid and all the Eagles know I say this every year to get a rise. But I have seen you guys do it in the past....10 years ago now I guess.

I love the board... :)
Never shall I leave a fallen comrade

jknezek

Quote from: abnrgr on September 10, 2013, 09:55:23 PM
You guys are easy ;). Skoal, Kid and all the Eagles know I say this every year to get a rise. But I have seen you guys do it in the past....10 years ago now I guess.

I love the board... :)

I think you've got a new breed of Eagles running around abnrgr. Might need to freshen the material! I'm not really sold on the Eagle love yet, but they'll get their chance. I just see almost a decade of 2 or 3 ODAC losses, mostly following a cupcake OOC schedule that gets everyone lathered up. We'll see how it goes on the field.

tigerfanalso

JK

I think this BC team might be different.

How do you see the CNU vs. HSC game playing ot Saturday night ?

jknezek

Quote from: tigerfanalso on September 11, 2013, 12:28:18 PM
JK

I think this BC team might be different.

How do you see the CNU vs. HSC game playing ot Saturday night ?

I don't really have a clue to be honest. I have them 8/9 in my south region fan poll and the winner will stay in, the loser will go back into the watchlist. At home, coming off a big win, I have to think CNU is a slight favorite. However, beating Salisbury doesn't really prepare you to play H-SC, and unless CNU is markedly better than last year, they won't be in the game.

On the flip side, blowing out Averett doesn't really prepare you for anything. Before last week, I would have said H-SC by at least 7-10pts, now I'm thinking CNU by 7. But there just isn't much of a way to tell.

You look at Kickoff and the Captains just seem like a muddle, but then you look at them topping Salisbury, something they have had big trouble with lately, and you wonder. Of course, you also wonder about Salisbury, an option team that lost a lot of key pieces. The ranking was probably too high, so the win looks impressive, but may not be so good.

When this conflicted, I go with the home team. Captains, unfortunately, in a squeaker. But I reserve the right to be wrong by 30 points  ;)

tigerfanalso

Jk

Thanks for your feedback. I think HSC is a lot better than last year. Offense is very difficult to defend and the defense is sooooo much better and very fast. I think the game will be closer than last year with HSC winning by 7.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerfanalso on September 11, 2013, 01:35:10 PM
Jk

Thanks for your feedback. I think HSC is a lot better than last year. Offense is very difficult to defend and the defense is sooooo much better and very fast. I think the game will be closer than last year with HSC winning by 7.

From what little I've seen of the ODAC, the early results, and some of the numbers from around the league, it looks like several teams have really improved in key areas. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Bridgewater, for all my talk, seemed better against St. Vincent than last year, ditto HSC against Averett. W&L's defense looked miles different from last year. Although the offense looks a step at least back. E&H is the shocker. Picked up some of that game and their offense looked ridiculous, not sure how much of that was Ferrum.

It is going to be an interesting year.