MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

CNU had no business being in that game, let alone winning.  I don't put hardly any stock in opening night games, but I was expecting more from RMC.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

hasanova

HSC and host Guilford swap opponents today and tomorrow with Concordia (TX) and Huntingdon coming to Ragan-Brown.  The Hawks are coached by former Quaker standouts Caleb Kimbrough '08 and Ben Strong '08.  Should be interesting.

Ralph Turner

Thanks to hasanova for his comment on the ASC board on the Guilford CTX game.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on November 16, 2017, 11:37:42 PM

CNU had no business being in that game, let alone winning.  I don't put hardly any stock in opening night games, but I was expecting more from RMC.

Are you happier with R-MC after they beat #5 Ramapo today? Seems hard to know much for certain about a lot of teams the first 3 or 4 games. R-MC has a solid junior class to go with a lone, good, senior, but they graduated three good players and all but one of the sophomores saw only limited action last season. So I think it would be premature to assume they shoild have beat CNU, even if CNU was missing a couple of key players. Now, watching the game, I felt R-MC definitely could/should have won. But prior to the game I would not have said that.

hasanova

The two day tip-off classic at Guilford ended with all four teams at 1-1.  Consider these scores:

Huntingdon 80, Hampden-Sydney 60
Concordia 68, Guilford 67
Hampden-Sydney 83, Concordia 80
Guilford 90, Huntingdon 63

Honestly, over a prolonged season in a league, I think I would rank them GC-CTX-HSC-HC, but the scores over two days leave you shaking your head.  I will say HSC handled the CTX press better than GC did.  BTW, Quaker Carson Long scored 36 tonight vs HC.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: y_jack_lok on November 18, 2017, 09:08:39 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on November 16, 2017, 11:37:42 PM

Are you happier with R-MC after they beat #5 Ramapo today? Seems hard to know much for certain about a lot of teams the first 3 or 4 games. R-MC has a solid junior class to go with a lone, good, senior, but they graduated three good players and all but one of the sophomores saw only limited action last season. So I think it would be premature to assume they shoild have beat CNU, even if CNU was missing a couple of key players. Now, watching the game, I felt R-MC definitely could/should have won. But prior to the game I would not have said that.

That's more what I meant - they weren't playing well and I expected a team more like the one that played today.  Ramapo is evidently a mess right now, but it's still a great win and a great performance from RMC.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

y_jack_lok

R-MC with a nice 63-47 win over SUNY-Geneseo up at Marymount in Arlington. A pretty close game most of the way - no lead bigger than 8 - until about 5:45 left then built to 15 over the next 2 minutes and cruised to the final score.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

There are always a lot of games on the opening weekend of the Division III basketball season, but that doesn't always translate into headlines. Not this season. There is plenty to talk about and  Hoopsville is the place to find out what many of it means... if anything.

On Sunday's show, Dave will not only take a look at some of the incredible streaks that were broken. With the help of several guests, Dave will also get a look at who looked best at the Great Lakes Invitational while also talking to a few teams looking for solid seasons ahead.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 7:00 pm ET be advised, the show will not feature video until after the Thanskgiving break): http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2017-18/nov19. You can also listen to the podcast, located to the right, after the show is off the air.

You can also send your questions to the show and have them featured on the Hoopsville Mailbag segment. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com.

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Ryan Scott, D3hoops.com Around the Nation columnist
- Darrin Travillian, Maryville (Tenn.) women's coach
- Tom Palombo, No. 18 Guilford men's coach
- Jon Miller, No. 4 Hanover men's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

flightless bird fan

Quote from: hasanova on November 10, 2017, 03:45:14 PM
Quote from: flightless bird fan on November 10, 2017, 02:30:29 PM
Here is the season preview for EMU http://www.emuroyals.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/releases/20171110fr15ec and the Roster http://www.emuroyals.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/roster
Thanks, fbf ... what do you think the EMUs will do this year?

Hopefully the injury bug is done.  If so, and they get some minutes out of the new players, I think they will do OK.  Without getting to watch in person, so hard to judge.

hasanova

The 2-1 Guilford Quakers welcome the 1-1 Averett Cougars to Ragan-Brown tonight.  AU beat HSC 80-66 last week and got thumped by Concordia TX 91-68 on Sunday. 

tigerFanAlso2

hasa

Did you see HSC play over the weekend ? If so, tell me they are not as bad as the results indicate they might be.

Good luck to your Quakers. Sounds like they are off and running.

Hopefully the ODAC winner will have a successful run deep into the tourney this year.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on November 21, 2017, 11:15:49 AM
Hopefully the ODAC winner will have a successful run deep into the tourney this year.

So I am throwing a theory out there that I have mentioned on Hoopsville before - and privately, but I am very curious what ODAC fans think:

I wonder how much the ODAC tournament hurts teams from making deep runs in the NCAA tournament. Teams end up playing three or four times in the final week, some with the final three games in three straight days or four days. And while they have a week (really four days) to recover before the next game, I wonder how much this final week of the regular season gasses teams. I know there is something about preparing for the NCAA tournament, the size of the ODAC tournament and thus the number of games needing to be played may be proving to be a disadvantage.

It really is a theory. Not sure if it holds water. The ODAC tournament is unique and I have been a fan of it in the past. For a few reasons, like this one, I have wondered if its time has come and it needs to be trimmed down, but I get that doing so takes away the grandness of the event for the conference.

So... curious what ODAC folks think about the tournament and if my theory it could be adversely affecting the run made by NCAA tournament teams holds any water.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

tigerFanAlso2

Good point; I think your question is better answered by the players and/or coaches.  eight team field should be plenty but that is just my opinion.

y_jack_lok

^^^ Agree that an 8 team tourney is plenty. Heck, why not go to 6 with 1 & 2 seeds getting byes the first round. Would make teams have to try even harder in regular conference play.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: y_jack_lok on November 21, 2017, 03:32:53 PM
^^^ Agree that an 8 team tourney is plenty. Heck, why not go to 6 with 1 & 2 seeds getting byes the first round. Would make teams have to try even harder in regular conference play.

That is actually where I was thinking... also gives the top seeds one less game to play (especially against an SOS hurting squad) heading into the NCAAs - less chance to gas them. Right now they play three in three (or four) days if they get all the way to the title game.