FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray Fox and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

awadelewis

Looks like both Messex and Ware performed well this evening.

awadelewis

Looks like B-SC dodged a bullet by surviving a late surge in the 4Q by LaGrange. Final there was 34-20 B-SC with LaGrange scoring 21 in the 4Q.

Haven't seen any updates as yet from Millsaps vs. Belhaven.

tigerguy

Final in Abilene: Trinity 44 - McMurry - 0

Trinity finished with 531 yards of offense to McMurry's 265. Looks like Trinity is going to trot out another sub 5'10 QB as their starter - Messex finished 8-18 for 161 and two TDs. Running game really shined tonight as Trinity went to their traditional I-formation ground and pound, finishing with 287 overall, and led by Evan McDowell with 129 yards. Pleasant surprise to see Sophomore WR Chris Stewart lead the game in receiving yards with 119, with one long play early in the second for 80 yards. Last year's leading receiver for Trinity, Tommy Lavine, held to just 23 yards. Based on this game, it would appear Trinity is going to rely even more on their ground game this year, which should actually work out okay given their size on the O-line and their depth at RB.

Defense also looked stout. Could be the best season for the Tigers since their last truly good year in 2011 when they won the conference championship. Won't get too ahead of myself though...

Ron Boerger

Millsaps 18-3 victory over Belhaven means the SAA was undefeated on opening night.

Does the conference not do preseason polls of the coaches?

BerryViking92

Good start for the SAA ... congrats to Trinity, Millsaps and Birmingham Southern on the wins.  On to Saturday...

MUC57

BerryViking92

Know a little about Trinity, having played them, but not much about your conference. Never really heard of Berry - until last year. Now, lots of people have heard of you.
Good luck on the season. Hope you make it back into the playoffs. Go Vikings, from an old Mount Union guy. Ah, Go Raiders too! ☠🏈
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

BerryViking92

Thank you and good luck to you, although you don't need much in the way of luck!

Quote from: MUC57 on August 31, 2018, 09:57:58 AM

BerryViking92

Know a little about Trinity, having played them, but not much about your conference. Never really heard of Berry - until last year. Now, lots of people have heard of you.
Good luck on the season. Hope you make it back into the playoffs. Go Vikings, from an old Mount Union guy. Ah, Go Raiders too! ☠🏈

BerryViking92

Really strong opening week for the SAA ....

I said last week that there was no way Berry could be better than last year.  And I still have concerns ... running game, young receivers ... but wow, impressive win over Maryville.  Defense "looks" (I listened to the radio broadcast) really good.  Either Maryville has really fallen, or we are much better than I hoped.

awadelewis

Def. were good results from the past weekend.   I don't think that Sewanee's game with Kenyon was a good test for us as Kenyon looked like a team that was coming off an 0-10 season.    This week's game with W&L will be interesting given how the Generals appeared to struggle in their game on Saturday.

Some other interesting games this week:
Maryville continues their trip through the SAA by hosting Centre
B-SC at Huntingdon is a good rivalry game
Then you have Hendrix at TLU and HSC at Trinity

BerryCollegeFan

Quote from: BerryViking92 on September 04, 2018, 08:23:42 AM
Really strong opening week for the SAA ....

I said last week that there was no way Berry could be better than last year.  And I still have concerns ... running game, young receivers ... but wow, impressive win over Maryville.  Defense "looks" (I listened to the radio broadcast) really good.  Either Maryville has really fallen, or we are much better than I hoped.

Maryville was as big as they usually are on the lines, but Berry shutdown their running attack.  The Berry defense was stout for sure.  Maryville QB missed on some open passes, but he was hurried at times as well.  Berry was able to stretch the field a couple times and get some receivers behind the defense.  Berry's offense had some mental mistakes, but took advantage when they had opportunity. 

Great first game, we will know more after LaGrange this Saturday.

HookEmVikes

I was at the game Saturday night and let's just say Maryville wasn't the Maryville Berry has seen the last 5 years. Take nothing away from Berry, but Maryville was struggling on offense just getting the ball back to the QB from center. QB was constantly having to jump up and catch the snap over his head. Maryville played 4 QBs if that is any indication. Berry played well in spots, spread the ball around on offense but Maryville's corners could not stay with #12 and looked lost on a couple of blown coverages. Berry's defense looked good, but it was hard to really gauge with what I saw out of Maryville. They are young and will get stronger thru the year, but road trips to Rhodes and Centre will be a big tests in the first 4 games.

BerryCollegeFan

Welcome to the board. 

Yes, Maryville was not their typical team, which was a surprise.  Berry is young too.  #12 is a JR, #80 is SO and the other WRs were FR.  They have 2 HB that are JR and rest are FR.  I don't think there is a SR at all getting significant playing time as a receiver.

Lot's of new faces on Defense too. 

Every team has young players this time of year.  We'll see in the next few weeks which ones grow up quickly...

HookEmVikes

Correct on the receivers. #16 and #83 were the last of the receiving corps that graduated after last season that came in the first recruiting class and they got a redshirt year for injury. I don't think there is a Sr. WR on the team this year. #12 has helped fill the void. A couple of years there weren't any new receivers that stuck around. #80 looked good and I think #83's brother will help and a few others contributed Sat as well. A lot of experience graduated over the last 2 years on both sides of the ball, but a lot of FR played last year on D and that will help. A nice recruiting class this past off season, but as stated, which ones grow up quickly. Berry has a tough road schedule this year and Rhodes and Centre on the road in the 1st 4 games is tough. Rhodes QB is pretty good and Centre is always strong especially in Danville.

Cedricb313

How do I go about watching replay of Berry & Maryville on demand? Need password. TYIA

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Cedricb313 on September 06, 2018, 10:03:26 PM
How do I go about watching replay of Berry & Maryville on demand? Need password. TYIA

Psst -- not going to support sharing of passwords on the site. Sorry.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.