BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OshDude

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 03, 2010, 09:35:34 AM
Quote from: BlueJay Boy on May 02, 2010, 08:56:01 PM
BigPoppa

I am new to the board how are pool C bids awarded?

Pool C bids are awarded to teams that do not win their conferences automatic bid (in the CCIW the bid goes to the tourney winner). All of the teams nation wide are then dumped into a single pool and the best of the best get bids... there are 13 bids this year in Pool C. The CCIW will not get a Pool C unless North Central fares well in the CCIW tourney but gets beat in the final. For some reason, NCC is not getting the national respect (probably due to a very weak central region when compared to other regions in the nation).
There are 15 Pool C bids this year.

BlueJay Boy

Great info from everyone - thank you. Based on SoS I would think that the CCIW, whoever it is, should get a shot at a pool C bid. You can not argue with NCC's overall record. I am not really sold on them as a complete team, but they sure can hit it. North Park has 2 solid starters and again hits it well. IWU i know little about, and Carthage, I know alot about, if they can pick it up - they can play with anyone. The problem is they can't pick it up. Going to be a fun weekend and a great tourney, plus NCC has a very nice facility. Does anyone know if the CCIW assigns the umpires for the tourney or does the host team ?

Gregory Sager

Quote from: BlueJay Boy on May 03, 2010, 06:29:21 PMDoes anyone know if the CCIW assigns the umpires for the tourney or does the host team ?

Unlike regular-season CCIW games, the host school does not select the umpires. From Section III, Article L of the CCIW baseball sports guide:

QuoteL. The tournament director will be the coach of the host school. The CCIW coaches will select four umpires from different geographical locations at the fall meeting to officiate the CCIW tournament.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

ChiSoxMan

That's correct. One umpire is chosen from Carthage's area, one from the Chicago metropolitan area, one from the Augustana area, and one from the Bloomington-Decatur area.

RedmanFan35

Thanks for that piece of information. Best news I've heard all month ;D ;D

BlueJay Boy

How about a little chat about CCIW Player and Pitcher of the Year? My vote goes to Giovenco and Corrigan, however I really liked Herrera from Elmhurst and Aiello from Carthage.

Mugsy

Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

BlueJay Boy

Oh My - How does Augustana receive votes?  That is silly, someone has no idea what they are doing - or it is a friend of the program. They have been swept their last 2 series in CCIW play and are currently 5-13 in league play and 21-15 overall. I guess there is a reason they schedule cupcakes on their Spring trip. North Park is currently 24-12 overall and 13-5 in league play and Carthage is 23-12 overall and 12-6 in league play, plus their Spring trip was a monster of a schedule, and neither one of them received any votes. Come on!

BigPoppa

For some reason, voters like Augustana. Until last week, they were still getting votes in the D3baseball.com poll as well.

The expanded Pool C (15 bids) may be a savior for NPU or Carthage as both look to be on the bibble. I see Carthage with an advantage right now with a better SoS, but that can all change this weekend when they face off.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

CCIWFAN6

Quote from: BlueJay Boy on May 04, 2010, 01:39:56 PM
Oh My - How does Augustana receive votes?  That is silly, someone has no idea what they are doing - or it is a friend of the program. They have been swept their last 2 series in CCIW play and are currently 5-13 in league play and 21-15 overall. I guess there is a reason they schedule cupcakes on their Spring trip. North Park is currently 24-12 overall and 13-5 in league play and Carthage is 23-12 overall and 12-6 in league play, plus their Spring trip was a monster of a schedule, and neither one of them received any votes. Come on!

While I do agree that it is fairly ridiculous that Augustana received votes in the ABCA poll, this poll, along with the d3baseball.com poll, do not mean anything towards a teams potential post season chances.  This is the ultimate goal of these teams, not to simply show up in a poll on May 3.

The regional rankings came out last week from the NCAA and this is the poll that ultimately counts:
April 29, 2010

NCAA Release

INDIANAPOLIS - The NCAA Division III Baseball Committee has released its first 2010 regional poll.  The committee has ranked the top 15 percent of eligible teams in each region.  The following teams, with records through April 27, were included in this week's regional poll.  The next poll will be released May 6.

Central Region In-Region Record Overall Record
1. Buena Vista 18-10 18-10
2. St. Norbert 10-6 13-9
3. North Central (Illinois) 19-5 24-5
4. Carthage 12-8 17-11
5. Webster 21-1 26-7
6. North Park 18-9 22-11

augie_superfan

Quote from: BlueJay Boy on May 04, 2010, 01:39:56 PM

I also don't know how Augie is still getting votes, but I think you are a bit off base on them scheduling cupcakes for Spring Break.  First, Augie is certainly hurt by the fact their 1st spring trip is so early.  When I was there, we played just about the same teams every year because there were so few of us DIII teams down there at that time.  Here are the records of their 1st week opponents:

Grove City  16-16
Farmingdale St.  23-13
Widener  21-10
Beloit  21-12
MSOE  12-25
Rose Hulman  25-9

Sure, it's not a Carthage schedule but I don't think its that bad given the options.  Also, when they fly down for the second weekend, the plan is to obviously play as many in-region games as possible.  I don't think the cupcake schedule is the thing to blame for Augustana falling apart in conference this season.  They started out hot against some decent teams and while those teams found their way, Augustana's youth and lack of depth have been exposed as many expected.  I think the bigger shock is the record that Augie amassed against the teams they did rather then where they are sitting now.

If Augie had played the spring break schedule Carthage had, they might have lost just about every game.  Would Augie have performed better in conference if it had been crushed versus had the opportunity to play close games against competition more on their level?  I don't know the answer to that question but maybe someone else has an opinion.

BlueJay Boy

Augie_superfan,

Good research, and I stand corrected on my cupcake statement. I am not a huge fan of the Augie coach therefore I am probably biased in my opinion. When the facts are laid out, you make a fine case that it was in fact - not a cupcake schedule. I still do not know how they are receiving votes in a National ranking? However playing the Spring schedule that Carthage did, certainly did not help them against Millikin this weekend. as Bigpoppa pointed out - that could be the loss that dooms them, but everyone does not bring their "A" game everyday. Once again - good info - and the "cupcake" will be dropped

HITandRUN463

It's awesome to see a CCIW team (North Central) crack the Top 25!

Other News on NCC

- beat Univ. of Chicago today 11-5

- face Rockford tomorrow

"See, how it works is, the train moves, not the station."

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: HITandRUN463 on May 04, 2010, 09:30:55 PM
It's awesome to see a CCIW team (North Central) crack the Top 25!

Other News on NCC

- beat Univ. of Chicago today 11-5

- face Rockford tomorrow

Until the last week or two, it was years since the CCIW did NOT have one or more teams in the top 25.