BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Final: IWU 16, NCC 5.

Two teams are going home (or staying home, but not at the ballpark ;)) tomorrow.

norfrank

Congrats to IWU and Carthage.   Experience rules.  No way NCC wns tourney now.  Pitching is much too weak.  My pick NPU will have a real tough time winning three games.

RedmanFan35

It should be a nice pitching match-up with Sparacino and Arensen.

BigG296

I don't think you can really judge NCC off of one game in the CCIW tourney....baseball is a weird game.   I think they've proved themselves well enough throughout the entire regular season and are a legit NCAA qualifier. 

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: BigG296 on May 14, 2010, 11:21:55 PM
I don't think you can really judge NCC off of one game in the CCIW tourney....baseball is a weird game.   I think they've proved themselves well enough throughout the entire regular season and are a legit NCAA qualifier. 

Agreed.  They have an awfully compelling pool C resume if they don't win the A.  North Park and Carthage are both 'bubble' teams.  In a way it is comforting to be a Titan fan - I know they are 'win or the season is over'. ::)

My fantasy would be: NPU over NCC (but NCC still gets a bid); IWU over Carthage; the loser of NPU /Carthage still gets a bid (doubtful); IWU wins it all, but the losing finalist gets a bid (possible, but iffy).  Dare I dream of four bids if all plays out by my scenario? :D

Probably not, but it's my dream and I'm sticking to it! ;D

RedmanFan35

NCC is the only team in the tourney with a shot at a, Pool C bid. Everyone else has to win the tourney and take the A Bid to advance. In a 4 Team double Elimination format, you really put yourself in a bad spot to win the tourney though. You'll play a minimum 3 more games and possibly 4 and have to win them all. One of the winners bracket teams needs only to hold court for 2 more games and it's off to Augustana or in Carthages case, maybe Osh Kosh. GO REDMEN !!!!!!!!

OshDude

Quote from: RedmanFan35 on May 15, 2010, 12:12:14 AM
NCC is the only team in the tourney with a shot at a, Pool C bid. Everyone else has to win the tourney and take the A Bid to advance. In a 4 Team double Elimination format, you really put yourself in a bad spot to win the tourney though. You'll play a minimum 3 more games and possibly 4 and have to win them all. One of the winners bracket teams needs only to hold court for 2 more games and it's off to Augustana or in Carthages case, maybe Osh Kosh. GO REDMEN !!!!!!!!
Whitewater this season. Even closer.
Don't think I could take another depressing Oshkosh Regional like last year, watching the Titans rake the field and shag fouls instead of playing.

BigPoppa

I think Carthage and NPU can both a make a strong case for a Pool C with a nice CCIW tourney run. The majority of their games this weekend are against regionally ranked opponents and their SoS is bound to climb as a result of it. Pool C hopefuls in other Central region tourneys (MWC, SLIAC and IIAC)are playing mostly non-regionally ranked teams so their SoS will not jump as much as Carthage, NPU and North Central's will.

If both Carthage and NPU were bubble teams heading to the weekend, then a solid showing will only move them up on the bubble, off the bubble and into a safer spot or a Pool A bid outright. I don't think the CCIW is a three bid conference, but NCC is solid in my eyes and two others have a shot.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

augie_superfan

I'm just curious, I thought SOS is calculated as being only counted once per opponent, regardless of how many times a team plays that opponent.  Wouldn't that mean that almost all conference tourneys would result in no change in the SOS?  Expect for a conference like the MWC where the North hasn't played the South before the tourney?

cubs

Quote from: augie_superfan on May 15, 2010, 11:25:17 AM
I'm just curious, I thought SOS is calculated as being only counted once per opponent, regardless of how many times a team plays that opponent.  Wouldn't that mean that almost all conference tourneys would result in no change in the SOS?  Expect for a conference like the MWC where the North hasn't played the South before the tourney?
Nope it's weighted on the number of times you play them....
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

BigPoppa

North Park up 6-0 in the 4th on North Central in an elimination game. Could North Central play themselves out of the tourney?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

OshDude

Quote from: cubs on May 15, 2010, 11:45:08 AM
Quote from: augie_superfan on May 15, 2010, 11:25:17 AM
Nope it's weighted on the number of times you play them....
Yeah, the Handbook is written rather poorly. Pat Coleman set us straight on that a weeks or so ago. Each game a new SOS is established. Of course you wouldn't know that by reading the Handbook, but ...

Mr. Ypsi

NCC is making a game of it.  They now trail only 7-5 in the middle of the 7th.

Mr. Ypsi

NCC came all the way back to tie, 7-7, in the top of the 8th, but NPU responded with 3 runs in their 8th.  Entering the 9th, it is NPU 10, NCC 7.