FB: Upper Midwest Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Forgotten Man

Shame on the sliac for handling this so damn poorly.  >:(
"The soldier, above all others, prays for peace, for it is he who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."
Douglas MacArthur, General, U.S. Army, (1880-1964)

AO

That's great news.  Based on the support that their baseball and basketball teams have received from presenation and the aberdeen community, they won't have much trouble getting a competitive program going. 

FlaSouth

FS- Chance Attaway-5'11 210 4.4 Florida International University and Valdosta State University
SS-Corey Silcox-5'11 227 4.5 Troy University and Valdosta State University
CB-Ishmeal Grant-6'2 195 4.3 South Florida and Western Arizona Junior College

Silcox and Attaway are my cousins.  These guys would get several wins for this program.  Everyone of those guys where top 100 players in florida their senior year.  Grant is the 78th rated player in junior college this year and Silcox and Attaway were rated 5 star recruits by max emfinger.  Not very familiar with d3 football. How big a difference can these guys make?

Pat Coleman

If these guys are truly good and they come in expecting to work hard and not just roll over people because "it's just Division III" then they could have a big impact.

The UMAC is pretty far down the list of conferences in Division III, so they might be able to just walk in and dominate, but you can't do that in a stronger conference.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

FlaSouth

What are division III players like?  what is the average size, speed, and strength of a DIII defensive back.  I think they will work hard, they were all just disapline problems at their other schools.  I believe they have matured a bit since then tho.

doolittledog

Quote from: FlaSouth on May 01, 2009, 12:56:18 AM
What are division III players like?  what is the average size, speed, and strength of a DIII defensive back.  I think they will work hard, they were all just disapline problems at their other schools.  I believe they have matured a bit since then tho.

Dubuque is a D3 school with a history of bringing in Florida kids.  The last few years they have had 40+ Florida kids on the roster.  One of the big problems has been getting kids from states like Florida and California that played at big high schools to realize that D3 is a good level of football and will take a lot of work to succeed at this level.  Another thing that has hurt retention with Florida kids is the small population in the midwest and the cold weather.  If you can get the kids to know this beforehand that is a good start.  Dubuque has had some D1 and D2 transfers that got playing time, but didn't set the world on fire and didn't even make all-conference in the IIAC.  For DB's there isn't much of a size difference that I see between D1 and D3.  Where I see a difference is at LB a D1 LB will be 6'3 and 245, at D3 a LB will be 5'11 and 205 and half a step slower. 

The UMAC is one of the weaker D3 conferences.  If these kids you know have been playing at a higher level, they could probably do well from the beginning at this school.  But they would still need to work hard against their competition.  And be prepared for some losing, a new program won't be winning games at the beginning.  Something the Florida kids at Dubuque didn't want to go through. 

Purple Heys

There is usually a reason "D1" kids find their way back to D2 or D3.  Not all were truly D1 types whether it is actual ability or ability to perform at that level.  Some can't grasp the offense or defense.  Some don't want to work.  Bear this  in mind...mostly D1 players look first to move to another D1 FBS school or at worst to a FCS (1-AA) school.  I find it hard to believe D3 is the first choice.

Some, however, can be victim of circumstance such as a former University of Utah QB, who by circumstance (injury and success of replacement) found himself out of the lineup and found his answer was to play at Linfield, a strong D3 program in Oregon.  But the key is that Linfield already had a strong team...the UMAC schools honestly can't compare to a school like that...and this kid played QB...a high impact position.

IMHO, it is harder for a DB to have as profound an impact...That said I can't see why any team wouldn't be pleased to have that kind of athlete coming to school.
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

FlaSouth

I can agree with that.  The reason they are going d3 is because they are out of chances basically. 

Grant graduated from hs in 05. didnt qualifty, went to juco, went back to south florida, didnt qualifty again. went back to juco, and now hes d3.

Silcox graduated in 06. went to troy 2x, went to valdosta for a year and wasnt eligible.

Attaway graduated in 06. went to fiu, got pt and transferred to valdosta. then he was not elibible. 

Attaway and Silcox basically made horrible decisions after their childhood friend Michael Guilford died in a motorcycle accident.  He was the scout team qb for the University of Florida. 

Im hoping they will do good though.  Grant is a gamebreaker, he is a decent corner but the reason scouts love him is his special teams ability.

Attaway is more of a Reggie Nelson type safety, hes big enouph to make big hits but his best attribute is how much ground he can cover in the secondary.  ran a 4.4 at the nike combine. 

Silcox is more of Roy Williams type of safety.  He is a strong blitzer and can really lay the boom.  he set the db record for bench reps a the nike combine with 41 when he was 16.

warthog

FlaSouth:

Game breakers or not; if these guys had academic shortcomings in D1 or D2 they will be one year and out at any D3 school with a shread of academic integrity.
BE ORANGE

FlaSouth

well i hope these guys make it.  who else does macmurray have on there roster? 

mac_5_seven

Looks like there has been a coaching change at MacMurray with Jake Box replacing Kyle Sweeney.  Anyone have any insight?  All it mentioned was that he left for a different coaching job..  Thanks!

oldnuthin

Quote from: mac_5_seven on July 28, 2009, 11:59:19 AM
Looks like there has been a coaching change at MacMurray with Jake Box replacing Kyle Sweeney.  Anyone have any insight?  All it mentioned was that he left for a different coaching job..  Thanks!

dont know why he left, but according to the football main page he landed at the U of chicago

gcfan

I just found a season preview for Greenville so thought I would pass it along......sounds like Greenville will have a strong team this year.  http://www.emapnation.com/

oldnuthin

Quote from: gcfan on August 24, 2009, 02:14:11 PM
I just found a season preview for Greenville so thought I would pass it along......sounds like Greenville will have a strong team this year.  http://www.emapnation.com/

My nephew will be scrimmaging them on sunday, he is at Millikin, thanks for the info and good luck this year