FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CardinalAlum

D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

USee

The 2019 Wheaton Football preview is up:

https://athletics.wheaton.edu/news/2019/8/1/2019-wheaton-thunder-football-season-preview.aspx

notably Coach Swider has five fifth year seniors returning (4 starters) and 5 transfers (with likely 3-4 starters). In addition Wheaton will get RB TJ Williams back after he sat out 2018. Williams is a special talent that our league doesn't often see. He averaged 10 yds a carry behind Sola Olateju 2 years ago. With these experienced players filling holes in the lineup,  I like the way Wheaton is  positioned to compete for the CCIW title.

DBQ1965

Does WC football still have a camp to kick off the Fall season?  Back in the early 60s, it took place at a Salvation Army campgrounds somewhere in northern Illinois.
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

AndOne

D3Football.com pre-season poll is out. Strong showing by the CCIW.

* North Central is ranked #5 in the country.

* IWU is #15

* Wheaton is #22

This differs a bit from the CCIW Coaches Poll which slightly favors The Orange as the #2 conference team over The Green.

North Central    79 points (7 1st place votes)
Wheaton          72 (2)
Wesleyan         68 (1)
Wash U            57
Carthage          44
Millikin             39
Augie               38
Elmhurst          23
Carroll             16
North Park       14

hazzben

I was really impressed with NCC last year in the playoffs. You obviously need to replace a stud QB, but you had really good, young skill guys all over the field. Should be another great CCIW race this year.

AndOne

I'm sure the 3 closely bunched, and highly rated, CCIW teams all have an issue or two that they would like to not have to worry quite so much about. I could look over the Wheaton and IWU rosters, and make a fairly confident guess as to what the one or two major issues are for those teams. However, as we have fans/posters much more in touch with those teams, I'll just comment on one potential problem I see as possibly being a thorn (excuse the pun) in the Cardinal's foot.

Last season the Cards had a great kicker in Derik Judka. He connected on 16 of 19 field goals (breaking the single season record of 13) including a long of 49 yards. He also converted 66 of 67 extra-point attempts, and kicked off 91 times for a 52.7 yard average.

Though only a freshman he was;
   First team All-CCIW
   First team D3Football All-North Region
   First team D3Football All-American

An electrical engineering major at NCC last year, this year he returned to his native Poland where he can attend college for free.

Unless NCC can quickly develop a new kicker who can come at least fairly close to matching the above numbers this season, they could be in for a major headache—especially in a close, high-pressure situation late in the season, the outcome of which could mean a conference championship, a playoff bid, or more.

USee

Quote from: hazzben on August 08, 2019, 04:58:29 PM
I was really impressed with NCC last year in the playoffs. You obviously need to replace a stud QB, but you had really good, young skill guys all over the field. Should be another great CCIW race this year.

Hazz, Unfortunately NCCs QB, Broc Rutter returns this year for his senior season.

matblake

Wheaton grad Tyler Sigler picks off a pass in the Cardinals' preseason opener.  Tyler is currently 4th on the depth chart at free safety, so I suspect he will be cut.  But what a fun opportunity for a great kid.
https://www.azcardinals.com/video/tyler-sigler-picks-off-easton-stick

Gotberg

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Wheaton2668

Quote from: USee on July 02, 2019, 12:03:23 PM
Quote from: AndOne on July 01, 2019, 09:15:23 PM
Quote from: USee on June 30, 2019, 04:12:31 PM
North Central will be the clear favorite and I have IWU in my top 3. With the developments in Naperville IWU has edged closer and I don't think there will be a huge gap between those two. Where Wheaton falls in that equation will have a lot to do with who their QB is and who they get to fill key roles from all conference defensive stars. Right now, those 3 are going to be pretty close in my opinion (although WashU is going to have a say about that).  IWU plays both those teams on the road, NCC hosts IWU and visits Wheaton and the Thunder are hosts to both IWU and NCC

Many people may have overlooked the fact that the answer to the question of who the Wheaton QB will be, may, in fact, be found in the basketball locker room. Luke Anthony transferred to WC around Christmas time, and quickly became the basketball team's (distant) second most dangerous offensive weapon. However, the thing is that Anthony originally went to Dayton on scholarship to play QB for the Flyers football team after a very successful career at that position at Wheaton North HS. If he can spend the summer rediscovering his football talents to the level he did with those associated with basketball, the Orange Team may have the answer to it's QB question. 🏈  ;D

Most Wheaton insiders are well aware of Luke Anthony's prowess on the gridiron. From what I hear he participated in spring practice and was unable to win the job as the QB. The Thunder have returning senior Dave Beamer (Let's Roll) and fellow basketball player Spencer Peterson all competing for the starting role. A lot will be determined based on who does their work this summer and how the early practices develop. The Thunder will have to decide early what they want to be as they are @Monmouth and v IWU in week #1-2.

I've watched Luke play football from his days with the Wheaton Rams and at Wheaton North. He is a true gamer, grinder and there will be no need to rediscover his football talents as he's never lost them. Luke and his brother's homecoming to Wheaton College will do wonders for the football team. The connection many are overlooking - the Wheaton QB coach (Taylor Graham) is a close friend of the family. I fully expect Luke to be the starting QB this fall.

USee

I will be very surprised to see NCC stay at #5 in the D3 poll. At the end of last year I may have put them in the top 10 and close to top 5. They do have an elite D3 QB returning and all 5 OL returning on a unit that will be among the nations best. But with the loss of 6 expected returning starters (1 WR, 2 DL, 1 RB, and their entire kicking game) I don't see enough experienced skill players on offense for the Cardinals right now and their defense didn't become elite overnight after being very average last year. I have NCC much further down and packed closely with IWU and Wheaton.  I just don't think there is much separation between those 3 entering the season (and WashU is a close 4th and probably knocking on the door of top 25). I would make NCC a slight favorite over IWU or Wheaton (I think that's a toss up as of now). I think the CCIW is facing a slightly down year this year nationally. One of those top 3 could rise up if a few unexpected players emerge (they usually do) but right now I think NCC/IWU/Wheaton are all around #15-21 nationally.

Titan Q

Heading into his senior season, QB Brandon Bauer already owns the following all-time IWU career records:

* Completions (566)
* Passing Yards (6746)
* TDs (62)

He is #2 all-time in completion percentage (Rob Gallik 63.4%, Bauer 62.3%).

Bauer has been an incredibly special player for the Titans, helping them to back to back CCIW co-championships.  He has a chance to have a big senior year.

Titan Q

As best as I can piece it together at this point, IWU's top returnees and newcomers are noted below.

Offense
(OL) Michael Norwood, Jr. - 2nd Team All-CCIW
(OL) Jake Buhe, So. - 1st Team All-CCIW
(OL) Ethan Emerson, Sr.
(TE) Chrystian Maciorowski, Sr.
(QB) Brandon Bauer, Sr. - 2nd Team All-CCIW
(Slot) Bryce Dooley, Sr.
(WR) Jack Healy, Sr. - 1st Team All-CCIW
(WR) Zach Walsh, Sr. - 2nd Team All-CCIW
(WR) Dean Zigulich, Sr.
(WR) Liam Keffer, Sr.

The Titans lost 1st Team All-CCIW RB Morgan Alexander to graduation, but it sounds like they're excited about D2 transfer Hamid Bullie (Loyola Academy/Virginia State).

Sounds like D1 transfer Lucas Segobiano (St. Charles North/NIU) will compete for time with Dooley at the slot.

Freshman OL Maurice Mendenhall (Mahomet-Seymour) could get a lot of time.

Defense
(DL) Mike Murphy, Jr.
(DL) Chance Hilliard, Sr.
(DL) Francis Urbankski, Sr.
(LB) Ryan Swift, Sr. - 2nd Team All-CCIW
(LB) Keenan Scott, Jr.
(DB) Trevor Koepke, Sr. - 2nd Team All CCIW 2017
(DB) Nico Gubenko, Sr.
(DB) Jake Kapp, Sr.
(DB) Zach Mitchell, So.

6-5 DE Zack Tencza (Lincoln Way East) transferred in from D2 Truman State -- https://trumanbulldogs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4210. I'm guessing a guy recruited by Valpo, Drake, a lot of D2s, and UW-Whitewater out of HS will play this year.

I believe they expect freshman OLB Anthony Wachal Jr. (Conant/Mid Suburban West Defensive P.O.Y.) to play.  He was one of IWU's biggest recruiting wins.

Special Teams
* (K) Patrick Tata, Sr.
* (K/Punt Returns) Bryce Dooley, Sr.

Last year's punter Brock Krohe was just a freshman, but he is not on the 2019 roster.  I am hoping IWU doesn't have to punt this year and the punter job is really not a factor.

IWU has a ton of talent returning on the offensive side.  The Titans should continue to be a very efficient and balanced offensively.  How RB Hamid Bullie adjusts/progresses will be important.

IWU's biggest questions are on the other side of the ball.  They lost a lot there, including Trevor Staley (DB) and Eric Dubose (DL).  Plus lost Defensive Coordinator Jeff McDonald to the Elmhurst HC gig. The Titans do return a lot of defensive talent though, and it seems like there are a few newcomers ready to step in.  How this unit comes together under new DC Grant Caserta will probably be the most important thing for IWU fans to keep an eye on in the early going.

Captains this season will be: Bauer, Healy, Dooley, Swift, Koepke.

IWU has plenty of talent and experience to contend for a third consecutive CCIW title this year.  Looking forward to watching the Titans play. They open at WIAC preseason #2 pick UW-La Crosse (7-3, 5-2) on Sept. 14 - that should be a good one.

79jaybird

As we approach the best time of the year,  if you choose to compete in the Pick Em's contest, to enter your picks in timely fashion on the Pick Em's board.

It's a 3-horse (IMO you could argue 2 horse) race and I'd put NC at the top. While it may be tough to run the table, I wouldn't be surprised if NC cruises deep into the NCAA's.   

VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION