Started by Ralph Turner, October 09, 2011, 04:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Mack

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 23, 2011, 06:53:29 PM
Quote from: HScoach on November 23, 2011, 03:43:49 PM
Quote from: hazzben on November 23, 2011, 03:39:23 PM
Quote from: K-Mack on November 23, 2011, 12:02:24 AM
Yes, playoffs are excellent.

Some guy wrote an article in Kickoff '11 that ID'd five teams most likely to leapfrog the purple powers, perhaps this season.

All five are still alive.

Man, whoever that guy was should get a hefty raise  ;)

I was thinking that guy should be fired if any of them didn't make it out of the first round.   ;)

I'd give the poor dude a pass if Linfield hadn't made it - Cal Lu was one tough first round opponent!

Speaking of Linfield, now that the Committee is not afraid to have cross-country games, I wonder if it is not time to modify the noon local time starting rule.  For teams travelling east, it is probably not a big deal for those whose bodies are on CST, but Linfield will be playing at (body-time) 9 freakin' o'clock in the morning (and their coach says the wake-up call will be at 4:30 PST)!  Those of us who remember college (and/or are parents of college students) know that for many if not most teenagers, getting up at noon is NOT considered 'sleeping in'!  Perhaps games could start at noon local time or noon visitors' time, whichever is later?  (With modifications if a home field has no lights, I suppose.)

[One respected (and neutral, for this matchup) poster has already hinted that he suspects Linfield may be the stronger team, but is loathe to pick them not knowing the effects of both a cross-country flight AND playing in practically the middle of the night (body time).]

Smith is very vocal about this in the article.

You touched on one of the two reasons IMO for the rule: Lights. Not every D-III has 'em, and the noon starts take away any need for them or bending of rules because of them. Also it's just one less thing everyone has to worry about. Game at noon.

But, when they open the box they've opened this year -- and they are probably realizing things one step at a time -- they should at least allow for an appeal if both teams want to change kick time. Or better yet, if they're not going to announce the sites until Sunday, they could adjust start times on their own.

Whoever "they" is in this case.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

smedindy

I think these athletes will be fine. It is one game. They are young. But a 1:00 game time would be better but that's about as late as they could go.

If they started at two, and went into a couple of overtimes - you definitely would have a darkness problem.

MasterJedi

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 23, 2011, 06:53:29 PM
Quote from: HScoach on November 23, 2011, 03:43:49 PM
Quote from: hazzben on November 23, 2011, 03:39:23 PM
Quote from: K-Mack on November 23, 2011, 12:02:24 AM
Yes, playoffs are excellent.

Some guy wrote an article in Kickoff '11 that ID'd five teams most likely to leapfrog the purple powers, perhaps this season.

All five are still alive.

Man, whoever that guy was should get a hefty raise  ;)

I was thinking that guy should be fired if any of them didn't make it out of the first round.   ;)

I'd give the poor dude a pass if Linfield hadn't made it - Cal Lu was one tough first round opponent!

Speaking of Linfield, now that the Committee is not afraid to have cross-country games, I wonder if it is not time to modify the noon local time starting rule.  For teams travelling east, it is probably not a big deal for those whose bodies are on CST, but Linfield will be playing at (body-time) 9 freakin' o'clock in the morning (and their coach says the wake-up call will be at 4:30 PST)!  Those of us who remember college (and/or are parents of college students) know that for many if not most teenagers, getting up at noon is NOT considered 'sleeping in'!  Perhaps games could start at noon local time or noon visitors' time, whichever is later?  (With modifications if a home field has no lights, I suppose.)

[One respected (and neutral, for this matchup) poster has already hinted that he suspects Linfield may be the stronger team, but is loathe to pick them not knowing the effects of both a cross-country flight AND playing in practically the middle of the night (body time).]

Welcome to the real world kiddies!