Chapman sweeps
0 (0%)
Linfield takes 3 of 4
0 (0%)
Chapman takes 3 of 4
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Jack Parkman

CSU East Bay is a good team but this will be ther last year we talk about them since they are moving up to D-II.  I fully expect to see them in a regional this year.

SCIACfan5

If Just Some Guy isn't around, will someone be willing to do their own ranking of the West Region? I'd like to see how teams are measuring up in the West.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: SCIACfan5 on January 23, 2009, 08:25:00 PM
If Just Some Guy isn't around, will someone be willing to do their own ranking of the West Region? I'd like to see how teams are measuring up in the West.

If you go by the d3.com rankings the West would look like this...

1. Chapman
2. Texas-Tyler
3. Linfield
4. Pacific Lutheran
5. Trinity (TX)
6. Redlands
7. La Verne
8. George Fox

I honestly don't agree with these 100% but I also am not 100% familiar with everyone thats coming back/lost.  That being said, here is my top 8.

1. Chapman- How can you not put them at #1?
2. Trinity- They have  very good pitching back and were 2 runs away from Appleton in '08.
3. Texas-Tyler- This is tough because they have great regular season records but fade badly at the end.
4. Pacific Lutheran- Good players, questionable coach
5. Pomona-Pitzer-  They have a ton of talent back.  Have to find a way not to fade like last year.
6. Linfield- Broscious has it working well in Oregon
7. Cal Lutheran-  Saw their roster.  A lot of new guys and some good returners.
8. La Verne- Been very consistent in the SCIAC the past few years.

Redlands lost a lot of talent from last year, including one of their top pitchers.  I really don't see this team doing a whole lot in '09.

SCIACfan5

Thanks Jack. I'm not very familiar with many teams outside SCIAC. Should be an interesting year. Can't wait until the season starts.

Would you put Cal State East Bay somewhere on that list?

Jack Parkman

Now that you mention Csu eAST Bay, I would put them in the 6-7 range and knock Cal Lutheran out of there.  I put Cal Lutheran in there just based on the number of new guys on their roster.  I really know nothing about any of them, just taking a shot in the dark.

East Bay is in their last year of D-III and I have no idea how that will affect them, if at all.  They had a pretty solid team in '08 but they lost their best arm in Viera and their top hitter Lamont Toney.  I am sure CSU East Bay will be solid again.

BILLY CHAPEL

Well this my first post and i am going to start with a bang!! I'd like everyone to take note that I am calling the boys Of Cal Lu to not only crack the top 15 very soon but also win the SCIAC!! No one can compete with there staff. very excited to see others response to that

BigPoppa

Quote from: BILLY CHAPEL on January 25, 2009, 02:30:08 PM
Well this my first post and i am going to start with a bang!! I'd like everyone to take note that I am calling the boys Of Cal Lu to not only crack the top 15 very soon but also win the SCIAC!! No one can compete with there staff. very excited to see others response to that

The SCIAC has been very weak lately and winning the SCIAC does not really maen as much as it used to. The league's talent level has stayed consistent while the rest of the west has improved.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Ullcme41

In the years past i agree not much has changed, but this year is different, the 2009 class has been solid through the years for the sciac and now is in the finally hoorah for there college baseball career. It will be competitive no doubt, but the not only arms on cal lu, but the POWER arms will eat d3 hitters up. They have 5 pitchers that can scrape 90 and two that can hit 93! what other team in d3 can say that?? they have three pitchers in there pen that would be starters on any other team in america!

Dawgsdad

I beg to differ with you Ullcme41, there are a lot of d3 players that will camp on this "power" pitching if that's all they have! Also there is a big difference in scraping 90 or 93 and being able to consitently throw at that speed. I know their are some Texas brethern down here that can match your arms! More importantly they'll not be scraping at anything, but effectively using their "power" arms to bring the heat when needed without of losing control...

infielddad

It amazes me how many 90 plus mph pitchers are reported in the pre-season by fans. 
Sounds to me like CLU should be playing in Omaha in June if their pitching is that good.
I guess we will find out pretty soon but I, for one, will need to be convinced they have 3 guys in the bullpen who are better than the starters at Chapman, UT Tyler, Trinity and the like.
But it is fun to imagine if you are a CLU fan.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: infielddad on January 26, 2009, 07:36:15 PM
It amazes me how many 90 plus mph pitchers are reported in the pre-season by fans. 
Sounds to me like CLU should be playing in Omaha in June if their pitching is that good.
I guess we will find out pretty soon but I, for one, will need to be convinced they have 3 guys in the bullpen who are better than the starters at Chapman, UT Tyler, Trinity and the like.
But it is fun to imagine if you are a CLU fan.

I agree.  There is no way they have more than 1 guy that even sniffs 90.  CLU had some good guys in the past but they can not seem to still get those 1-2 guys that dominate like they used to. 
Just like Dawgsdad said, throwing 90-93 means NOTHING if you don't have anything to compliment the fastball.  I have seen a lot of guys that throw 90-91 that were knocked all over the place and guys that throw 87-88 that have a nasty slider of change that eats guys up.
Ullcme41-  Concentrate on your own season and be careful what you say on here, some of these guys are very informed on D-III baseball and will be very quick to call you out.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Ullcme41 on January 26, 2009, 05:41:35 PM
They have 5 pitchers that can scrape 90 and two that can hit 93! what other team in d3 can say that??

I would say about 3 or 4 just in the state of Texas alone.

Throwing hard does not equal success, and you should know that.

Dawgsdad

Quote from: Jack Parkman on January 26, 2009, 09:32:23 PM
Quote from: Ullcme41 on January 26, 2009, 05:41:35 PM
They have 5 pitchers that can scrape 90 and two that can hit 93! what other team in d3 can say that??

I would say about 3 or 4 just in the state of Texas alone.

Throwing hard does not equal success, and you should know that.

Thanks for the back up Jack!
You are also very correct - I know NAIA team that would light you up if all you had were high eighty to low ninety stuff. I can assure most, that of what I've been watching over the summer (summer leagues) and the fall, there are a lot of smart savey pitchers down here in the great state of Texas!!  And you get a few of the older guys to help out the newbees (if they listen) then you'll have a good strong assortment of arm to get you down the road and into the post season....  Brawn along won't cut it (at least not down here) - brawn and brains and some good coaching - look out!!

Blackcat00

Concordia has some guys in the 90's this year that transfered in. ST Edwards coach brought up they could have one of the best staffs inthe nation.

Jack Parkman

Holy crap!!!  With everyone in the country having pitching staffs that are all throwing 95, this should be a great year...yes, I am being very sarcastic.

This might be a question that could start a new topic but does anyone think the new D-I transfer rules will put more quality players in D-III?  I don't really know if guys will want to sit out a year to play at another D-I or go straight to a smaller school and play right away.  Must be where all of these rocket arms are coming from :P