0 (0%)
Linfield takes 3 of 4
0 (0%)
Chapman takes 3 of 4
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Jack Parkman

Quote from: BigPoppa on March 23, 2009, 01:29:10 PM
BigPoppa's Week 5 Poll: (This is getting harder every week as teams are starting to pile up wins. Thanksfully, the conference seasons are approaching and we can hopefully get a little separation).

01 Trinity (Conn.): 8-2 A bit of a stumble this week, but with everyone stmbling a bit behind them, they still hold on to the top spot.

02 Millsaps: 22-3 A nice victory over Illinois Wesleyan and taking 2 of 3 from Hendrix ove the weekend keeps them in contention.

03 Salisbury: 17-3 Only blemish this week was a loss to a 10-3 Richard Stockton.

04 Texas-Tyler: 21-5 Wins versus East Texas Baptist, UT-Dallas and took 2 of 3 from Ozarks. Tyler is looking better every week.

05 UW-Whitewater: 5-3 A great week for Whitewater down south. Beat Otterbein twice and Wooster once while splitting with Carthage.

06 Wooster: 15-3 Only blemish on their week (6-1) was a loss to Whitewater in Florida. Won 12 of their last 13 games.

07 Kean: 13-4 A 3-1 week was highlighted by a win at Chapman.

08 St. Scholastica: 11-2 Did not play this week.

09 Southern Maine: 7-1 A perfect 5-0 week including a win over Johns Hopkins

10 Eastern Connecticut: 10-0 Quickly climbing the rankings. A quality win over Johns Hopkins highlighted their week.

11 Chapman: 16-6 Suffered a loss to Kean and pounded Occidental. After Wayde Kitchens, pitching seems to be an issue.

12 Linfield: 17-3 Swept four from Puget Sound last week. They continue to pile up wins.

13 Pomona-Pitzer 19-3 One of the hottest teams in the nation. Took two from  Keene State and split with Middlebury.

14 Heidelberg: 11-4 Took one on the chin last week with a 1-3 mark. If they wish to be considered a contender, they need to win the big games.

15 Thiel: 11-3 Swept a three game series from Waynesberg over the weekend, but tripped a bit against Hiram. Need to win all those games if they are to be a top program.

16 Wheaton (Mass.): 12-1 Beat a surprisingly tough Rhode Island and took a pair from Springfield. Expect them to start climbing the chart very quickly if their recent play continues.

17 Augustana: 12-3 A 1-0 week in the chilly Midwest included a win versus Aurora.

18 Johns Hopkins: 7-7 The Bluejays suffered rough 4-4 week. Seeing them at .500 this far into the season is a surprise to me.

19 UW-Stevens Point: 8-2 The Pointers appear to be loaded to contend for another WIAC title.

20 Marietta: 8-3 Took a pair from highly touted Heidelberg as well as a split with LaRoche

21 UW-Oshkosh: 1-0 Just getting out of the gates right now, but the Titans look to be loaded again. We'll have a better feel for them next week as they play a few more games.

22 Cal Lutheran: 17-5 Won two games that they should have, but lost two games to a middle-of-the-road Rutgers-Newark who they needed to beat if they wanted to be considered more than a pretender.

23 York (Pa.): 16-2 Sixteen straight wins finds York in my poll this week.

24 Beloit: 10-2 The Buccaneers are off to good start. 4 wins against a terrible Milwaukee School of Engineering helps, they are beating the teams they are supposed to beat.

25 Cortland State: 11-5 Cortland may have things back on track, but do not expect them to stay here for long if they continue to lose to inferior teams like Farmingdale State.

Dropped out:
Carthage: 6-4 (tough schedule this week knocked them out of the Top 25)

Adrian: 6-7 (another bad week has pushed them from a former top ten team to out of the polls)

Christopher Newport: 13-4-1 (you cannot lose to mediocre teams and expect to stay in the poll)

Its funny how different the in-region records are so different than the perception of the ranking.  I do not disagree with you at all, but a team like Chapman has can't afford to lose games.  The Pomona and Redlands series' will be huge for the Panthers.  Nice work on the rankings.

BigPoppa

Jack- I agree with you completely. I look at my poll on a national level without taking regional records into consideration right now. Your might actually be a better reflection of the NCAA's model for the bids.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: BigPoppa on March 23, 2009, 01:53:08 PM
Jack- I agree with you completely. I look at my poll on a national level without taking regional records into consideration right now. Your might actually be a better reflection of the NCAA's model for the bids.

I do look at it more on a regional basis but only because I don't know a whole lot about the non-west region teams.  I think things will shape up out West in the next few weeks.  The 2 teams I am not 100% sold on are Redlands and Cal Lutheran.  Both of them lost to Rutgers-Newark who, like you said, are a middle-of-the-road team.  Maybe it could be a bad weekend for both, maybe not.
Pomona-Pitzer is on fire, but I checked their schedule and they really haven't played anyone worth much, except for Pacific Lutheran.
La Verne is on a roll right now too.  They always seem to come on strong, although I think it is way too late this year, they could change the SCIAC a little by winning games against Pomona.

RSSmith

Quote from: Jack Parkman on March 23, 2009, 02:17:30 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on March 23, 2009, 01:53:08 PM

I do look at it more on a regional basis but only because I don't know a whole lot about the non-west region teams.  I think things will shape up out West in the next few weeks.  The 2 teams I am not 100% sold on are Redlands and Cal Lutheran.  Both of them lost to Rutgers-Newark who, like you said, are a middle-of-the-road team.  Maybe it could be a bad weekend for both, maybe not.
Pomona-Pitzer is on fire, but I checked their schedule and they really haven't played anyone worth much, except for Pacific Lutheran.
La Verne is on a roll right now too.  They always seem to come on strong, although I think it is way too late this year, they could change the SCIAC a little by winning games against Pomona.

I wouldn't be too quick to stick Newark in the middle of the road.  I saw them split a DH with Hopkins to open the season, and those boys can hit the ball and play solid defense.  If their pitching heats up, Newark can make some noise in the NJAC where the perennial powers seem to be struggling a bit.
A walk is never as good as a hit!

oldcat

I would like to know the reasoning of putting Kean 7th in the nation while they lost to Chapman, La Verne, and Redlands in one week. They did beat Chapman, but it easily could have gone the other way. Aich did a wonderful job pitching that game while Sigman was not good, only going 2.1 innings.

BigPoppa

Quote from: oldcat on March 23, 2009, 06:58:22 PM
I would like to know the reasoning of putting Kean 7th in the nation while they lost to Chapman, La Verne, and Redlands in one week. They did beat Chapman, but it easily could have gone the other way. Aich did a wonderful job pitching that game while Sigman was not good, only going 2.1 innings.

I put Kean 7th because I feel they are great program who has been winning games. They are 13-4 right now with 3 of those losses coming against solid teams with a two-month head start outside on them. The D3Baseball.com poll places them 9th so I guess most of the voters are pretty close to my own line of thinking.

Jack Parkman

This was posted on another board but I thought Iwould put it on here in case others don't see it.

http://www.muhlenberg.edu/sports/abcapoll32409.pdf

I am sure this will lead to a lot of discussion.  WOW!

TexasBB

Chapman not even ranked in the top 25!? That was the first thing I noticed.

DIIIBASEBALLFAN

ABCA POLL WEST REGION TEAMS IN POLL
Rank School Record Points Preseason Rank
3. Texas-Tyler 21-5 217 13
11. Pomona-Pitzer (Calif.) 19-3 160 rv
18. Cal Lutheran 17-5 104 rv
21. George Fox (Ore.) 15-4 70 nr
29. Linfield (Ore.) 17-3 27 17

TexasBB

UTT beat Austin College tonight 12-5 to improve to 22-5 on the season.  The game took place despite alot of rain earlier in the afternoon in Tyler. Fortunetly the infield was covered and the outfield drains well so they could play.

Just_Some_Guy

Some West Region Guys Doing Some Big Things (Offensive Edition):

*Here are some guys that are tops in the nation in respective categories through 3/22*

Batting Average
5.) Drew Hedman .561 (Pomona)
20.) Joseph Villegas .522 (UMHB)
29.) Javier Arrieta .500 (Sul Ross)
39.) Andrew Blomberg .494 (CMS)
48.) Jordan Post .485 (Pac Lu)

Runs Per Game
6.) Kyle Kuenzi 1.84 (George Fox)
12.) Eric Evenson 1.74 (Linfield)
30.) Matt Wyckoff 1.58 (George Fox)

Doubles Per Game
12.) Mark Rockey 0.73 (Pugent Sound)

Triples Per Game
9.) Matt Goldstein 0.40 (Redlands)
20.) Jordan Hammontree 0.32 (Howard Payne)

Home Runs Per Game
1.) Drew Hedman 0.64 (Pomona)
3.) Javier Arrieta 0.50 (Sul Ross)
9.) Jared Smith 0.44 (UTD)
14.) Zach Atkins 0.42 (Dallas)
17.) Ed Huerta 0.41 (LeTourneau
       Regan Dixon 0.41 (Hardin Simmons)
       Paul Hartmann (Cal Lutheran)
22.) Pat Bailey 0.39(George Fox)
26.) Tom Williams 0.37 (Concordia)

Runs Batted in Per Game
5.) Drew Hedman 2.0 (Pomona)
11.) Jeremy Macklin 1.91 (Texas Lutheran)
14.) Zach Atikins 1.89 (Dallas)
23.) Max Rose 1.68 (CMS)
       Jared Smith 1.68 (UTD)

Slugging Percentage
1.) Drew Hedman 1.232 (Pomona) <-- That's just dumb
6.) Javier Arrieta 1.010 (Sul Ross)
7.) Zach Atkins 1.000 (Dallas)
14.) Mark Rockey 0.946 (Pugent Sound)
27.) Paul Hartmann 0.859 (Cal Lutheran)

On Base Percentage
10.) Drew Hedman .622 (Pomona)
24.) Jordan Post .596 (Pac Lutheran)

Base on Balls Per Game
11.) Randy Lorber 1.36 (UTD)
30.) Ray Martinez 1.09 (Schreiner)

Toughest to Strike Out
19.) James Kang 1K in 90 ABs (Pomona)

JSG

Just_Some_Guy

Some West Region Guys Doing Some Big Things (Pitching Edition):

*Here are some guys that are tops in the nation in respective categories through 3/22*

ERA
37.) Chad Jones 1.71 (George Fox)
43.) Blake Booher 1.82 (UT Tyler)

Wins *West had played more games, but..*
Tied for First:
Wayde Kitchens 6 (Chapman)
Nolan Nicholson 6 (Redlands)
Wes Willis 6 (Southwestern)

Saves:
2.) Sam Van Hoozer 6 (UMHB)
4.) Derek Johnson 5 (Redlands)
     Grant Wheatley 5 (La Verne)

Strikeouts Per Nine:
5.) Michael Johnson 14.0 (Concordia)
12.) Matt Coburn 13.0 (Concordia)
14.) Greg Uzee 12.55 (Louisiana College)
17.) Kyle Barton 12.25 (Hardin Simmons)

Hits Allowed Per Nine:
14.) Tommy Rozell 5.39 (UT Tyler)
28.) Evan Hilberg 5.93 (Linfield)

JSG

BigPoppa

BigPoppa's Week #6 Top 25:

1. Trinity (CT): 12-2 (an unreal run in the last year and a half... 57-3!!)
2. Millsaps: 24-3 (ennergizer bunnies... just keep on going)
3. E Connecticut: 14-1 (Starting to make me a believer in them)
4. TX-Tyler: 24-5 (the cream of the crop in Texas)
5. Wooster: 15-3 (Appear to have the arms to play into June)
6. Salisbury: 21-4 (still unsure about this team, but they have my vote for now)
7. Whitewater: 6-3 (Brutal schedule... need to score more runs if they wish to play in late May)
8. Wheaton (MA): 17-1 (HUGE climb this week... could be the nation's BEST team)
9. Kean: 17-5
10. Chapman: 19-6 (starting to gel)
11. Linfield: 20-3 (Piling up in-region wins)
12. Pomona-Pitzer: 22-3 (Scorching hot right now... Hedman has 15 HRs)

13. Southern Maine: 12-2
14. St. Scholastica: 11-2 (almost warm enough to get outside for a game)
15. Heidelberg: 12-2
16. Cal Lutheran: 20-5 (Will be quite a battle with Pomona-Pitzer in the SCIAC)
17. Buena Vista: 16-2 (Who??? All they do is win games. One run loss to Eastern Connecticut this week)
18. St. Thomas: 12-5 (Tough schedule... )
19. St. Olaf: 11-5 (Tough Schedule...)
20. Marietta: 10-3
21. Cortland State: 14-6 (still think they are overated)
22. Rochester: 15-3 (impressive win this week vs. Cortland)
23. Shenandoah: 22-4 (22 wins!!! regardless of the level of opponent, that is still impressive)
24. Beloit: 10-2 (I know... who have they beaten... better question is who has beaten them?)
25. Augustana (cannot lose to North Central and expect to remain here for long)

Dropped out: Thiel (14-5), Johns Hopkins (8-8), UW-Stevens Point (9-3... horrible loss to St. Norbert), UW-Oshkosh (5-5... brutal schedule should prepare them for WIAC play), York (16-5... 0-3 weeks cannot happen to a team struggling to make a name for itself)

Jack Parkman

Updated West Region standings as of 3/30/09.  A little bit of movement this weekend...

1.  Pomona-Pitzer    .933%
2.  Cal Lutheran       .889%
3.  Linfield                .857%
4.  George Fox         .824%
5.  UT Tyler               .808%
6.  Chapman             .722%
7.  Pacific Lutheran   .696%
8.  Redlands              .632%

Chapman continues to climb but there was mention the other day that Kitchens left his start early due to injury.  No idea what happened but that could be a bad break for Chapman.
Linfield and Pomona are on fire!  Both teams still have big games left.  Pomona has Cal Lutheran and Linfield still has George Fox.
Cal Lutheran keeps putting up wins but still has two very big weekends left with Redlands and Pomona.  If they slip up this weekend with Redlands it could mean trouble.
UT Tyler is ranked very high but I still think they have things to prove.  They are racking up wins, but a loss here and there could hurt them.
PLU must keep winning every game. 
Redlands has a make or break weekend ahead with Cal Lutheran.  Losing this series spells doom for Redlands.

The West has some very good teams this year.  I think the regional breaks down with 2 from the SCIAC, 2 from the NWC, Chapman and UT Tyler.

chakote

Quote from: Jack Parkman on March 31, 2009, 12:39:56 AM
Updated West Region standings as of 3/30/09.  A little bit of movement this weekend...

1.  Pomona-Pitzer    .933%
2.  Cal Lutheran       .889%
3.  Linfield                .857%
4.  George Fox         .824%
5.  UT Tyler               .808%
6.  Chapman             .722%
7.  Pacific Lutheran   .696%
8.  Redlands              .632%

Chapman continues to climb but there was mention the other day that Kitchens left his start early due to injury.  No idea what happened but that could be a bad break for Chapman.
Linfield and Pomona are on fire!  Both teams still have big games left.  Pomona has Cal Lutheran and Linfield still has George Fox.
Cal Lutheran keeps putting up wins but still has two very big weekends left with Redlands and Pomona.  If they slip up this weekend with Redlands it could mean trouble.
UT Tyler is ranked very high but I still think they have things to prove.  They are racking up wins, but a loss here and there could hurt them.
PLU must keep winning every game. 
Redlands has a make or break weekend ahead with Cal Lutheran.  Losing this series spells doom for Redlands.

The West has some very good teams this year.  I think the regional breaks down with 2 from the SCIAC, 2 from the NWC, Chapman and UT Tyler.

Hey Jack, Kitchens left his start early last weekend due to a hangnail on his glove hand, all will be okay for this weekend and definitly for PP on the following weekend
Success is not fatal; Failure is not final; but the courage to continue is what counts!!!
(Churchill)