Chapman sweeps
0 (0%)
Linfield takes 3 of 4
0 (0%)
Chapman takes 3 of 4
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

BigPoppa

Thanks for the Kitchens update. I was thinking it was not too big of a deal with the lack of talk about it on here.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

tloc14

Things will get really interesting if UT Tyler does not win the ASC conference tournament.  James Vilade has never won a conference tournament in his time at UDallas or UT Tyler.  Since the tourney winner gets an automatic bid, someone who is deserving would get left out....might be UT Tyler again this season.

IkeepScore

I know this isn't the major leagues but for goodness sakes it is competitive baseball, everyone is playing for a spot in the playoffs...

How on earth does a hang nail on the glove hand sideline the guy? I mean come one those who have seen kitchens, he is a big guy he can handle it! What happened to a little spit, some dirt, and tape, then get back in there?

The glove hand is protected...with a glove right? ... I am skeptical

SCIAC - Things are getting hot, Redlands Puppies play CLU Men with Jeweled hats and the PP Sage chickens play the CMS antlered horses

chakote

Quote from: chakote on March 31, 2009, 01:09:26 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on March 31, 2009, 12:39:56 AM
Updated West Region standings as of 3/30/09.  A little bit of movement this weekend...

1.  Pomona-Pitzer    .933%
2.  Cal Lutheran       .889%
3.  Linfield                .857%
4.  George Fox         .824%
5.  UT Tyler               .808%
6.  Chapman             .722%
7.  Pacific Lutheran   .696%
8.  Redlands              .632%

Chapman continues to climb but there was mention the other day that Kitchens left his start early due to injury.  No idea what happened but that could be a bad break for Chapman.
Linfield and Pomona are on fire!  Both teams still have big games left.  Pomona has Cal Lutheran and Linfield still has George Fox.
Cal Lutheran keeps putting up wins but still has two very big weekends left with Redlands and Pomona.  If they slip up this weekend with Redlands it could mean trouble.
UT Tyler is ranked very high but I still think they have things to prove.  They are racking up wins, but a loss here and there could hurt them.
PLU must keep winning every game. 
Redlands has a make or break weekend ahead with Cal Lutheran.  Losing this series spells doom for Redlands.

The West has some very good teams this year.  I think the regional breaks down with 2 from the SCIAC, 2 from the NWC, Chapman and UT Tyler.

Hey Jack, Kitchens left his start early last weekend due to a hangnail on his glove hand, all will be okay for this weekend and definitly for PP on the following weekend

This was a joke for those of you who didn't know ;D I was trying to make light of this and as far as I know he is fine and will make his next start. I don't know anything like the rest of you :-X ???

Success is not fatal; Failure is not final; but the courage to continue is what counts!!!
(Churchill)

TexasBB

From C.M. Stagg post
"From what I saw, the trainer looked like he was checking out Kitchen's shoulder. His velocity was way down, and he did not look like the same guy as I have seen in the past. That's the best I can do, I will be interested to see if he makes his next start"

Blake Booher from UTT has also had issues this season. His stats look great as well as his 6-0 record however he is not the horse he was last season and has been pulled in the first inning twice this year. He also now appears to be on a much more strict pitch count and recently has only gone around 6-7 innings. No word on an injury but you have got to wonder.

What all of this shows is how vulnerable any DIII team is if a top line pitcher goes down or is not as effective as they have been in the past. DIII teams just do not have the depth at pitcher to replace a top line starter. (Actually not even D-I schools can afford to loose their ace.) 

To win the region this year the best team during the regular season may not make it. The team that peaks at the right time and avoids injury will be the region champion.

BigPoppa

Quote from: TexasBB on April 02, 2009, 12:34:25 PM

From C.M. Stagg post
"From what I saw, the trainer looked like he was checking out Kitchen's shoulder. His velocity was way down, and he did not look like the same guy as I have seen in the past. That's the best I can do, I will be interested to see if he makes his next start"

I had expressed some concern with amount of work Kitchens was getting after only 2-3 weeks into the season. I hope he was not overused as he is a guy who could have a very bright baseball career ahead of him. I would hate to see it sidelined by an overuse injury. Not sure what his status is, but let's hope he is back on the hill this weekend.

IkeepScore

I now understand the sarcasim chakote!!!

I was really perplexed because i know Kitchens is a tough SOB!!!

In other news.... Friday is almost here which means good matchups

chakote

Quote from: IkeepScore on April 02, 2009, 02:32:28 PM
I now understand the sarcasim chakote!!!

I was really perplexed because i know Kitchens is a tough SOB!!!

In other news.... Friday is almost here which means good matchups

Yeah just trying to keep it on the lighter side, like you said in one of your earlier posts everyone of those kids is trying to get to the playoffs and they leave everything on the field, just to get that chance for the walnut and bronze trophy in Appleton at Fox cities stadium in Wisconsin
Success is not fatal; Failure is not final; but the courage to continue is what counts!!!
(Churchill)

dgilblair

Quote from: chakote on March 31, 2009, 01:09:26 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on March 31, 2009, 12:39:56 AM
Updated West Region standings as of 3/30/09.  A little bit of movement this weekend...

1.  Pomona-Pitzer    .933%
2.  Cal Lutheran       .889%
3.  Linfield                .857%
4.  George Fox         .824%
5.  UT Tyler               .808%
6.  Chapman             .722%
7.  Pacific Lutheran   .696%
8.  Redlands              .632%

Chapman continues to climb but there was mention the other day that Kitchens left his start early due to injury.  No idea what happened but that could be a bad break for Chapman.
Linfield and Pomona are on fire!  Both teams still have big games left.  Pomona has Cal Lutheran and Linfield still has George Fox.
Cal Lutheran keeps putting up wins but still has two very big weekends left with Redlands and Pomona.  If they slip up this weekend with Redlands it could mean trouble.
UT Tyler is ranked very high but I still think they have things to prove.  They are racking up wins, but a loss here and there could hurt them.
PLU must keep winning every game. 
Redlands has a make or break weekend ahead with Cal Lutheran.  Losing this series spells doom for Redlands.

The West has some very good teams this year.  I think the regional breaks down with 2 from the SCIAC, 2 from the NWC, Chapman and UT Tyler.

Hey Jack, Kitchens left his start early last weekend due to a hangnail on his glove hand, all will be okay for this weekend and definitly for PP on the following weekend

A hangnail on his glove hand?  Are you kidding? A hangnail on his glove hand.

utilitycat17

Quote from: DGilblair on April 03, 2009, 04:33:52 PM

A hangnail on his glove hand?  Are you kidding? A hangnail on his glove hand.

Is this a joke, or did you neglect to read any of the thread?

dgilblair

Yeah, I thought chakote was funny and once again I am not.........

tloc14

Who all votes for the rankings?  I am a little confused on this.  Is it a coaches vote?  Certainly, no coach in the nation knows all there is to know about teams out of their region...so it must be some sort of regional group.

Anyhow, the reason I ask is the high rankings for UT Tyler.  They seem to be getting ALOT of love from the ranking committees, but they have not really proven much of anything this season.  They have had a handful of quality games and have a losing record in those:  0-1 vs CTX, 1-2 vs McM, 0-1 vs Marietta.  I know they beat Southwestern and took 2 of three vs UTD, but still.  I guess they are getting by on something...maybe press clippings.  I dont know.

Dont get me wrong, I think they have a solid team...I just dont see how they can be ranked so high nationally since they really have no history and have not proven anything on the field. :-\

Anyhow, that i just my opinion.

BigPoppa

The reason they have no history is they just moved to D3 two years ago. They have been one of the nation' s best teams since.

dp643

Go look at the stats and look at Michael Johnson from CTX, and you will know why they probably lost that game. The only thing that stands out to me about Tyler is the losing 2 of 3 to McMurry, but they have a history of just playing bad in Abilene. They are more than likely going to win first in the east, host both rounds of the conference tourney, and that bodes extremely well for them .

I dont know where they should be ranked, but they are a very well balanced team, maybe the most balanced in the ASC.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: tloc14 on April 04, 2009, 03:44:04 AM
Who all votes for the rankings?  I am a little confused on this.  Is it a coaches vote?  Certainly, no coach in the nation knows all there is to know about teams out of their region...so it must be some sort of regional group.

Part of the phenomena that we see in polls is what I call "float up".  A team starts at a certain slot and then "floats up" in the rankings when a team above them has a bad week or drops a slot.

We saw it in Buena Vista in the basketball polls  last season.  They floated to #5 in week 6.

http://www.d3hoops.com/top25/09/week6.htm

They were tightly clustered with UW-Platteville and UW-Whitewater only to drop to #10 after the first loss to Wartburg.  They "floated up" to #7 in weeks 9 & 10, only to drop again to #20 in the final poll after they lost in the IIAC semi-finals (again) to Wartburg.