0 (0%)
Linfield takes 3 of 4
0 (0%)
Chapman takes 3 of 4
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: dp643 on March 01, 2010, 10:59:05 AM
I am glad to see that it looks like Sul Ross and Howard Payne might make some noise in the ASC West this year. They look to be improving, but is it just the weak opening competition at this point?

At this point I like the West for a 4 team regional, but it's definitely very early to speculate.

I think both Sul Ross and HPU will be in the bottom half of the ASC west this year (though I'm interested to see how the new HPU arms Hood and Morris will fare against better competition). I think you might see a bit more parody in the West from top to bottom this year, but I at this point both teams are likely beneficiaries of a relatively soft schedule.

JSG

dp643

I dont expect HPU or SRSU to make the top 4 but it is noteworthy that SRSU already has 24 HR's on the year, and HPU may have two good arms in their rotation. Lets not forget they are 5-1 against a team that just took 2 of 3 from TLU as well. Its going to be an interesting year.

utilitycat17

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on March 01, 2010, 02:33:31 PM
At this point I like the West for a 4 team regional, but it's definitely very early to speculate.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that there are no more 4 team regionals.  I think the smallest regional is 6 teams.  The regionals are either 8 or 6 team regionals.  Depending on who wins the SCAC, the West may have 4 pool A teams right off the bat.  SCAC, ASC, SCIAC, NWC winners.  Plus, the potential pool B in Chapman.  You only would need one more team to fill a 6 team regional, or two depending on the SCAC winner. 

OshDude

Quote from: utilitycat17 on March 01, 2010, 05:41:42 PM
Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on March 01, 2010, 02:33:31 PM

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that there are no more 4 team regionals.  I think the smallest regional is 6 teams.  The regionals are either 8 or 6 team regionals.  Depending on who wins the SCAC, the West may have 4 pool A teams right off the bat.  SCAC, ASC, SCIAC, NWC winners.  Plus, the potential pool B in Chapman.  You only would need one more team to fill a 6 team regional, or two depending on the SCAC winner. 
Alas, the numbers dictate that there will be one seven-team regional this year.

utilitycat17

Chapman - Pomona game 1
Pomona 4
Chapman 4
Top 8

Not much offense so far.  A lot of walks in the game.  Pomona's been the recipient of a couple tough calls by the umpires.  A possible homerun called foul, their coach was ejected (for what?  I don't know).  They also had tough call go Chapman's way at 2nd with 2 outs bases loaded.  Runner called out, looked safe.  Would have resulted in one more run and the inning continues.  Should be a good finish.

dbat

I think like always the ASC is going to beat up on each other like they always do.  Which hurts the west in national rankings because there are a ton of good teams that are in the ASC that deserve more credit.

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: dbat on March 01, 2010, 10:41:24 PM
I think like always the ASC is going to beat up on each other like they always do.  Which hurts the west in national rankings because there are a ton of good teams that are in the ASC that deserve more credit.

We hear this argument every year. Hell, I've made this argument in previous seasons , but the fact remains that until a team comes out of the ASC, beats Chapman in the West Regional and makes a decent tournament run in Appleton it's a mute point.

I don't think the ASC is as strong this year as it's been in years past. When is the last time Concordia has been relevant? Both Abilene schools seem to be down this year. TLU doesn't have near the pitching depth it's had in previous years. Tyler is down, and UT Dallas doesn't have nearly the sticks it had in the mid 2000s.

JSG

dahlby

Pomona coach ejected for excessive arguing of umpire's call of foul ball. Coach thought it should be a homer. Umpire was on the line when he made the call. Coach was in the dugout.

Pomona won game 1, 12-5
Chapman won 2nd game 2-1

dp643

I definitely think the ASC is down this year. Pitching seems to be very thin very every squad this year, and pitching is what will be needed to win the regional. 

CrashDavisD3

ASC
Mississippi College 8-1
Texas Lutheran 8-3

Independent
Chapman 10-2

NWC
Pacific Lutheran 9-1
Linfield 8-4

SCAC
Trinity 8-4

SCIAC
Redlands 9-2
Pomona   7-4
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

dbat

I'm not trying to say that the Independent Chapman shouldn't be ranked above any ASC team, but it is just tough that there are legit teams in the ASC and if the conference were split into two conferences there would be a couple more teams from the ASC conference in the rankings.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: dbat on March 02, 2010, 10:19:03 PM
I'm not trying to say that the Independent Chapman shouldn't be ranked above any ASC team, but it is just tough that there are legit teams in the ASC and if the conference were split into two conferences there would be a couple more teams from the ASC conference in the rankings.
Respectfully, I don't think that we would always have an extra team in the regional rankings, but I do think that our second and third and maybe fourth best teams in the 15 of the full conference would not be picking up damaging losses in the post-season tourneys, which are basically "play-in" events for the two divisions.

That hurts us in Pool C bids, and it dilutes our geographic prominence with respect to hosting first and second round bracket games/regionals.

I agree with your thoughts.  Said another way, I think that we are a very balanced conference with 6-8 good teams each year.

baseballfan24

I agree with Ralph here.  It seems that in that conference even the top teams get into the playoffs with anywhere from 8-10 losses.  By the time they battle their way through the two rounds they may have accumulated 12 losses which could drop them below other schools who simply did not have to play as many games in their playoff round.

It seems tough and possibly unfair, but I think the conference is the one that determines their playoff style.  Correct me if I am wrong.  Also, what is the playoff style for other conferences?  I know the SCAC does a tournament.  I also know that the NWC does not play one, which is disappointing considering how even Pac Lu, George Fox, and Linfield are year in and year out.  Those could be exciting tourneys.  What does the SCIAC do?

BigPoppa

SCIAC has NO tourney. Best record wins the bid.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

CrashDavisD3

End of the year tourney vs  No Tourney...Correct me if I am wrong

ASC -- Tourney YES

Independents -- Tourney NO

NWC -- Tourney - NO

SCAC -- Tourney - YES

SCIAC -- Tourney -- NO

The problem with Conference Tourney is the team with the most in region/in conference wins does not always wins and gets that AQ. Maybe Conference Tourneys should give the Conference Winner during regular season byes until
the Championship game in the conference tourney which could be 2 out of 3 games in the Championship plus home field for all games. Something got to count for winning the conference in regular season.

The question always will be does the region get the regular seaon best teams or teams that got hot at the end.....So many ways to get to the dance but all teams have to do what is required to get there.

Pool A - Conference Winners or Conference Tourney Winners for AQ Conferences

Pool B - Indepedents or Conference Winners or Conference Tourney for Non AQ Conferences ??

Pool C- Teams that did not qualify via Pool A or Pool B but have great in region record

Also who a team plays during the regular season and the OWP/OOWP/SOS of these teams can be a huge factor if you stay home or get a chance at the playoffs...

Like most things in the NCAA nothing is simple...

This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html