MBB: Atlantic East Conference

Started by mailsy, February 01, 2018, 11:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mailsy

Just going by what was said on Hoopsville tonight we have a new conference that will be in the Mid Atlantic. The Atlantic East Conference. I know this is preliminary but hey why not start a new thread to start the conversation.  :D
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

gordonmann

Do we know for certain that it will be in the Mid Atlantic region?

ronk

Leave them in the Atlantic; instead, return the Freedom to the Mid-Atlantic where they belong by name, at a minimum.

NEPAFAN

what teams are in this conference?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

mailsy

Cabrini, Gwynedd, Neumann, Immaculata, Marywood, Wesley & Marymount.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

When you look at the numbers for both the Atlantic and Mid-Atlantic, I think it is a no-brainer it goes in the Mid-Atlantic.

Just using the men's basketball handbook (women's would have more numbers, slightly in the Atlantic)..

There are five conferences in the Atlantic (CUNYAC, CSAC, NJAC, MACF, Skyline)... there are four in the Mid-Atlantic (CAC, Centennial, Landmark, MACC).

There are 49 schools in the Atlantic... 38 in the Mid-Atlantic.

I suspect to even the conferences out and to even off the regions a bit more, it will be a Mid-Atlantic conference. Furthermore, if they added it to the Atlantic, the disparity between the two would be greater (52 schools in Atlantic; 35 in the Mid-Atlantic).

Division III has wanted the regions to be more even. The realignment was, in part, to help the Atlantic. Can't see them loading down the Atlantic now and fly in the face of the original intent a few years ago.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ronk on February 02, 2018, 03:50:40 PM
Leave them in the Atlantic; instead, return the Freedom to the Mid-Atlantic where they belong by name, at a minimum.

Not going to happen. Not a chance. The whole point of putting the MACF in the Atlantic was to get the to MACs away from each other and out of the same region. That was a talking point of the realignment plans a few years ago. MAC may have Mid-Atlantic in it's name, but it is just a name.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: mailsy on February 02, 2018, 04:18:11 PM

Arcadia will be coming in from what I am told, but a year after the creation of the conference. There is a long story here, but I have it from several sources Arcadia will be part of this conference.

tweisman5

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 02, 2018, 06:42:12 PM

Arcadia will be coming in from what I am told, but a year after the creation of the conference. There is a long story here, but I have it from several sources Arcadia will be part of this conference.

I'm assuming this is an all-sports move for Arcadia?
Go Mustangs!

mailsy

Quote from: tweisman5 on February 02, 2018, 07:42:27 PM

Yes that is the goal. The idea is that all the schools will have the same sports to keep everything within the conference.

Also I heard they are looking at other schools to join...as long as the new schools have all the sports that are played in the conference and that includes swimming.

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 02, 2018, 06:41:25 PM

Not going to happen. Not a chance. The whole point of putting the MACF in the Atlantic was to get the to MACs away from each other and out of the same region. That was a talking point of the realignment plans a few years ago. MAC may have Mid-Atlantic in it's name, but it is just a name.

Why?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ronk on February 02, 2018, 09:37:22 PM

Why?

There are a ton of reasons that we discussed several years ago when it all went down. First and foremost, it was to continue to treat both as separate conferences. Too many others around the country still think they are one conference (every year I have to dispel the notion that they are one conference, just two divisions; ASC and USA South fans continue to wonder why they can't have two AQs). Secondly, I am quite sure those in each conference wanted to be in separate conferences because basically, if you have the mentality that while they are separate they are the same group, they are hurting themselves in regional rankings. Yes, I know... that can be seen many ways, but when they were in the same region many times the due "sides" pushed others out of regional rankings - and we know how that hurts vRRO numbers.

That's all I'm going into for now. There were other reasons, but it was pretty understood they were going to be split up. That was understood from the moment regional realignment was going to take place.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: mailsy on February 02, 2018, 08:16:43 PM
Quote from: tweisman5 on February 02, 2018, 07:42:27 PM

Yes that is the goal. The idea is that all the schools will have the same sports to keep everything within the conference.

Also I heard they are looking at other schools to join...as long as the new schools have all the sports that are played in the conference and that includes swimming.

I am not sure they are looking, to be honest, and I am not sure who those institutions would be at this point. I know they have turned down those who have inquired about joining including some in the CSAC who wanted to come with.

Not many others to choose from. They aren't going to take anyone from the NEAC. No one from the Centennial is interested. Count out the NJAC. The CAC... York is the only one who may be available, but that is an idea that neither side would be interested. No one else from the MACC or MACF is going to be interested. Skyline? Certainly not the AMCC.

The only crazy idea I could see working is if anyone buys into the idea that Rowan and TCNJ are frustrated and want out of the NJAC, that they would join... but one of the reasons Marymount and Wesley wanted out of the CAC was to finally do away with the state schools... so that's a no-go.

One could look at DeSales and maybe someone else from the MACF, but when I floated that idea past a few people who would know best... they basically dismissed it rather quickly. There are relationships in conferences that just won't be broken.

I just don't see any other options unless somehow this group changes their mind about other CSACs and there is basically one school I can think of and I don't think it will happen (knowing the behind the scenes).

This is the perfect group for themselves... the only way it could grow is if the CAC implodes, but that isn't happening as of now.

Just my two cents having followed and been pretty deep in this story for quite some time.

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 02, 2018, 11:25:28 PM
Quote from: ronk on February 02, 2018, 09:37:22 PM

Why?

There are a ton of reasons that we discussed several years ago when it all went down. First and foremost, it was to continue to treat both as separate conferences. Too many others around the country still think they are one conference (every year I have to dispel the notion that they are one conference, just two divisions; ASC and USA South fans continue to wonder why they can't have two AQs). Secondly, I am quite sure those in each conference wanted to be in separate conferences because basically, if you have the mentality that while they are separate they are the same group, they are hurting themselves in regional rankings. Yes, I know... that can be seen many ways, but when they were in the same region many times the due "sides" pushed others out of regional rankings - and we know how that hurts vRRO numbers.

That's all I'm going into for now. There were other reasons, but it was pretty understood they were going to be split up. That was understood from the moment regional realignment was going to take place.

If the ASA or USA South have the NCAA minimum # of teams(7) in a division, then there doesn't seem to be a good reason not to
have an AQ for that division; if that group left and formed another conference, then after 2 years they would be granted the AQ, anyway.