Started by mailsy, February 01, 2018, 11:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: ronk on February 03, 2018, 12:37:46 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 02, 2018, 11:25:28 PM
Quote from: ronk on February 02, 2018, 09:37:22 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 02, 2018, 06:41:25 PM
Quote from: ronk on February 02, 2018, 03:50:40 PM
Leave them in the Atlantic; instead, return the Freedom to the Mid-Atlantic where they belong by name, at a minimum.

Not going to happen. Not a chance. The whole point of putting the MACF in the Atlantic was to get the to MACs away from each other and out of the same region. That was a talking point of the realignment plans a few years ago. MAC may have Mid-Atlantic in it's name, but it is just a name.

Why?

There are a ton of reasons that we discussed several years ago when it all went down. First and foremost, it was to continue to treat both as separate conferences. Too many others around the country still think they are one conference (every year I have to dispel the notion that they are one conference, just two divisions; ASC and USA South fans continue to wonder why they can't have two AQs). Secondly, I am quite sure those in each conference wanted to be in separate conferences because basically, if you have the mentality that while they are separate they are the same group, they are hurting themselves in regional rankings. Yes, I know... that can be seen many ways, but when they were in the same region many times the due "sides" pushed others out of regional rankings - and we know how that hurts vRRO numbers.

That's all I'm going into for now. There were other reasons, but it was pretty understood they were going to be split up. That was understood from the moment regional realignment was going to take place.

If the ASA or USA South have the NCAA minimum # of teams(7) in a division, then there doesn't seem to be a good reason not to
have an AQ for that division; if that group left and formed another conference, then after 2 years they would be granted the AQ, anyway.

Unless everyone offers every sport you plan to sponsor AND you can be sure no one is going to leave, it might make sense.  Much better to have a few "extra" teams in various sports to be able to roll with the changes that have become inevitable these days.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ronk on February 03, 2018, 12:37:46 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 02, 2018, 11:25:28 PM
Quote from: ronk on February 02, 2018, 09:37:22 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 02, 2018, 06:41:25 PM
Quote from: ronk on February 02, 2018, 03:50:40 PM
Leave them in the Atlantic; instead, return the Freedom to the Mid-Atlantic where they belong by name, at a minimum.

Not going to happen. Not a chance. The whole point of putting the MACF in the Atlantic was to get the to MACs away from each other and out of the same region. That was a talking point of the realignment plans a few years ago. MAC may have Mid-Atlantic in it's name, but it is just a name.

Why?

There are a ton of reasons that we discussed several years ago when it all went down. First and foremost, it was to continue to treat both as separate conferences. Too many others around the country still think they are one conference (every year I have to dispel the notion that they are one conference, just two divisions; ASC and USA South fans continue to wonder why they can't have two AQs). Secondly, I am quite sure those in each conference wanted to be in separate conferences because basically, if you have the mentality that while they are separate they are the same group, they are hurting themselves in regional rankings. Yes, I know... that can be seen many ways, but when they were in the same region many times the due "sides" pushed others out of regional rankings - and we know how that hurts vRRO numbers.

That's all I'm going into for now. There were other reasons, but it was pretty understood they were going to be split up. That was understood from the moment regional realignment was going to take place.

If the ASA or USA South have the NCAA minimum # of teams(7) in a division, then there doesn't seem to be a good reason not to
have an AQ for that division; if that group left and formed another conference, then after 2 years they would be granted the AQ, anyway.

ronk - the NCAA/Division III have told everyone that only one bid goes to a conference. Period. It is why the MAC has been forced to split the two sides as reasonably far away from each other as possible. There is no conference-mandated cross over and the title game between the two (when did that end) is no longer a "thing." The MAC was basically told, split these two up and treat them as two separate conferences or lose the second AQ. The conference could have been told to split into two offices, but the division is allowing a little bit of grandfather to allow the one office.

Considering that, no other conference is suddenly going to get two bids for divisions. Not going to happen. The NCAA and Division III has been very clear about this. You form a conference, you get a bid. Just one bid, no matter how big you are.

I am not sure why you are stirring the pot on this. This isn't new and was dealt with many years ago, just as having only one gender in DI for those who were grandfathered into the split rule. MAC has been closer to losing the second AQ this century than any other conference has been to getting a second bid.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Dave,
  Not stirring the pot - you mentioned that the Freedom was moved to the Atlantic; I just asked why; I didn't remember any good reasons to be moved from the Mid-Atlantic region.

Swish3

When is this going down?  Frankly, losing Marymount, Southern Virginia and Wesley will allow the other CAC teams to schedule some good out of conference games, which is more exciting to me.... 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Swish3 on February 05, 2018, 03:18:58 PM
When is this going down?  Frankly, losing Marymount, Southern Virginia and Wesley will allow the other CAC teams to schedule some good out of conference games, which is more exciting to me....

It is already happening. We broke the news at D3sports back in June... while the conference is mute, they start play next academic year - 2018-19.

Quote from: ronk on February 05, 2018, 02:01:41 PM
Dave,
  Not stirring the pot - you mentioned that the Freedom was moved to the Atlantic; I just asked why; I didn't remember any good reasons to be moved from the Mid-Atlantic region.

The biggest reasons were to move the two conferences away from one another. The Atlantic needed more representation in their numbers and this was an easy fix. The other way the MAC on the whole - Commonwealth and Freedom - were pushing each other out of at-large and hosting opportunities. This gives both more equal opportunities.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 05, 2018, 05:12:06 PM

It is already happening. We broke the news at D3sports back in June... while the conference is mute, they start play next academic year - 2018-19.

Dave,

The biggest reasons were to move the two conferences away from one another. The Atlantic needed more representation in their numbers and this was an easy fix. The other way the MAC on the whole - Commonwealth and Freedom - were pushing each other out of at-large and hosting opportunities. This gives both more equal opportunities.

This makes more sense from a MAC point of view. Just don't remember it being publicly espoused previously.

Swish3

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 05, 2018, 05:12:06 PM

Dave,

Yep, I remembered reading about it, but I didn't recall when it was going to begin...thanks, Dave!

Swish3

Actually, it looks like Southern VA's football program is the only one departing for the ODAC...that still leaves the potential for four ooc games next season.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Correct... Southern Virginia was not invited into the ODAC as a full-time member. That invite went to Ferrum.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mike Rejniak

​Dear D3 Faithful ;D,
     I have read many of your posts throughout the years and even met some of you in person, but for those who I haven't met, let me introduce myself: my name is Michael Rejniak and I have spent over 14 years coaching Division 3 basketball and love what our division has done and continues to do for  the sport of basketball. One of the greatest things about Division 3 basketball is the brotherhood that we all have with one another (coaches and players alike). My wish is to showcase the talents of D3 on a national stage in The Basketball Tournament (TBT).  You may have heard me speak about this on the Hoopsville Marathon with Dave McHugh of D3hoops.com (at the 6:11 mark). The TBT is a national tournament that is televised in July/August on ESPN after the NBA season is over. My goal is to put forth an all-star D3 team (current players are ineligible) and have them compete in this tournament to take on Former D1 / semi-pro's to prove that D3 deserves the same respect as other NCAA divisions. The team is mostly complete with former student-athletes from all over the country competing. Once the roster is complete we will be sure to release it through d3hoops. Former Babson College National Champion Matthew Droney '17 will also be assisting me on this journey.

How YOU can help our former elite D3 basketball players

While the end prize of this tournament is a monetary prize, being a D3-lifer, the goal is not the money (we all know that's not why we get into coaching), the goal is to bring an end to the stigma of Division 3 basketball, an awareness of how talented our student-athletes are and that we can compete (and win) against the best. We do need to raise funds for an entry fee, travel, meal and housing expenses for the athletes. In order to do this, we are conducting a crowd-funding campaign through GoFundMe to help make this a reality. These athletes need your support! Just think -- if every Division 3 school donated just $10, we will have raised over $4,000!!!! The link to the GoFundMe Page is below and please SPREAD THE WORD and email me with any questions/concerns at WeAreD3TBT@gmail.com. Thank you in advance for your support and Dave and I look forward to this "D3 Dream Team" taking the court this summer.-Mike Rejniak

Support "We Are D3" In The TBT

CCHoopster

Does this conference have a Pool A automatic bid?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: CCHoopster on May 14, 2018, 09:44:15 PM
Does this conference have a Pool A automatic bid?

Not until 2020-21, if they dot the "i's" and cross the "t's".

CCHoopster

thank you. I was able to find an article on Cabrini's website. Appreciate the reply!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: CCHoopster on May 15, 2018, 09:40:35 AM
thank you. I was able to find an article on Cabrini's website. Appreciate the reply!

They don't usually put that stuff in a release since it can change based on membership especially by sport.

Any new conference automatically has to go through a two year hiatus where they do NOT get an automatic bid. They have to have seven members for basketball for two years before they can get the auto bid. (Once a conference has an auto bid, they have two years to fix their membership should they fall below the seven member threshold before they lose the bid.)

I believe for some sports, this conference does not have the minimum to get autobids, thus why it wouldn't really be mentioned.