2014 NCAA Tournament Dark Horse Predictions

Started by Cheesehead Henry, November 10, 2014, 10:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Off Pitch

Wheaton's strategy apparently was to shut down Laurenzo in the NEWMAC semis.  It didn't work out too well for them.  You want to really talk anemic, look at the AQ from NESCAC.  Bowdoin won the NESCAC tournament without scoring a single goal in the finals or semi-finals and were shut out in 5 of their last 8 games.

Mr.Right

Wheaton is soft on the defensive side and they can let up goals.Just look at Nescac 9th place team Trinity Ct won 4-3 over Wheaton. Wheaton will be out after the 2nd round also if they cannot score goals

PaulNewman

Emory (and they were considered one of the top 4 at large teams here) has scored 2 goals in 6 games.

Off Pitch

Wheaton's starting keeper, Dickey, has a 0.32 GAA.  Trinity feasted on the freshman backup.

Mr.Right

I do not think so. You cannot blsme the keeper in that game. I was at that game and Wheaton's defense was very soft. They can be scored on by teams with the ability to do so

Off Pitch

Against ranked teams in the regular season, Wheaton gave up only 2 goals in 5 games.  But don't let actual results get in the way of your narrative.

PaulNewman

Should we be paying more attention to Morrisville and Thomas More?  Maybe Morrisville is the team in that quad that can take out the Falcons, or will they lose to King's?  And are we sure North Park beats Thomas More who only lost twice and only bad loss was 1-0 to Anderson (the other 2-1 to DePauw)?

Morrisville has an interesting roster with a bunch of internationals and more states represented than you would guess.

PaulNewman

Is is possible that Berry takes out Emory, Covenant beats Whitworth or Lynchburg surprises old friend CNU and/or Stevens knocks out Montclair?  Which is the most likely upset?

PaulNewman

Can Rose Hulman pull the double and beat Calvin on Calvin's home field?

PaulNewman

No one is talking about one of my fave unknowns, MSOE.  We're talking about far Wartburg might go, and MSOE might be primed for an upset special.  Wheaton will be hoping for that result.  And I definitely could see St. Scholastica taking out Chicago.

Mr.Right

Quote from: Off Pitch on November 11, 2014, 08:12:28 PM
Against ranked teams in the regular season, Wheaton gave up only 2 goals in 5 games.  But don't let actual results get in the way of your narrative.

In your world robots play the games not humans.

Off Pitch

Mr. Right, I'm saying that it might be prudent to base opinions on an entire body of work, backed up by real honest to goodness results, rather than on one personal observation of a single game when the starting GK and at least one back were not playing.

Off Pitch

And besides, it was a mid-week game requiring travel during mid-terms, it was a bad field, Pilger was more clever in scheduling, the team was tired from the Babson game and Trinity used unfair tactics.

Mr.Right

Quote from: Off Pitch on November 11, 2014, 08:36:36 PM
Mr. Right, I'm saying that it might be prudent to base opinions on an entire body of work, backed up by real honest to goodness results, rather than on one personal observation of a single game when the starting GK and at least one back were not playing.

Funny you did not mention all the players missing when Bowdoin played Babson or the injured Williams players when Babson beat them, but when to argue your points you conveniently include this information.

Saint of Old

Wheaton MA has skilled players but have to go play their very best two games of the season to make it to the sweet sixteen. This is the dance boyz. No 1/2 stepping, no blaming injuries, its win or go home.