2014 NCAA Tournament Dark Horse Predictions

Started by Cheesehead Henry, November 10, 2014, 10:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Right

Tell me about it. Off Pitch primary goal here is to trash Nescac schools.

Durantula

Quote from: NCAC New England on November 11, 2014, 08:24:05 PM
No one is talking about one of my fave unknowns, MSOE.  We're talking about far Wartburg might go, and MSOE might be primed for an upset special.  Wheaton will be hoping for that result.  And I definitely could see St. Scholastica taking out Chicago.

What do you know about MSOE NCAC? They have played many of the teams in the North region, but I have heard hardly anything about them

PaulNewman

Quote from: Durantula on November 11, 2014, 09:22:41 PM
No one is talking about one of my fave unknowns, MSOE.  We're talking about far Wartburg might go, and MSOE might be primed for an upset special.  Wheaton will be hoping for that result.  And I definitely could see St. Scholastica taking out Chicago.

What do you know about MSOE NCAC? They have played many of the teams in the North region, but I have heard hardly anything about them

I know virtually nothing about them, but I started noticing their results, and that combined with regularly getting ignored or dissed, made me a distant fan.  I don't like seeing the little guys get screwed (like John Carroll, Roanoke, Wabash, Kzoo, etc).  Based on their results I could see them holding Wartburg off the scoreboard or allowing just one and staying in the game.

Can you tell us about MSOE?

Off Pitch

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 11, 2014, 09:02:26 PM

Quote from: Off Pitch on November 11, 2014, 08:36:36 PM
Funny you did not mention all the players missing when Bowdoin played Babson or the injured Williams players when Babson beat them, but when to argue your points you conveniently include this information.

The difference is I did not make any sweeping assumptions or disparaging comments about Williams or Bowdoin based on those single games.  (And of course Babson was also missing players for those games.   ;))

Durantula

My Dark horse is the team with the player who has the farthest throw-in... is there a player with a throw that the player on hope had last year haha??

PaulNewman

Quote from: Durantula on November 11, 2014, 09:44:38 PM
My Dark horse is the team with the player who has the farthest throw-in... is there a player with a throw that the player on hope had last year haha??

Babson.  And that's how they got first goal against Wheaton this past weekend.

Durantula

Off Pitch

Quote from: Saint of Old on November 11, 2014, 09:06:38 PM
Wheaton MA has skilled players but have to go play their very best two games of the season to make it to the sweet sixteen. This is the dance boyz. No 1/2 stepping, no blaming injuries, its win or go home.

I agree mostly.  Wheaton will have to play its best game to get past Tufts (a game that should be tremendously fun to watch), but Daniel Webser is another matter entirely. 

I am not blaming any loss on injuries.  I am attempting to point out how ludicrous it is to base a contrary opinion on a single game that is simply not representative of an overall body of work.  Not many teams would fare well if they were only judged based on their worst games, but that is mr right's modus operandi to denigrate non-NESCAC competitors.

PaulNewman

FYI, Thomas More has given up 2 goals in last 10 games.  MSOE has given up 5 in last 10.  MSOE stats in final away at Dominican were even, so it wasn't like outshot 18 to 3 and won.

casualfan

Quote from: NCAC New England on November 11, 2014, 09:28:14 PM
Quote from: Durantula on November 11, 2014, 09:22:41 PM

I know virtually nothing about them, but I started noticing their results, and that combined with regularly getting ignored or dissed, made me a distant fan.  I don't like seeing the little guys get screwed (like John Carroll, Roanoke, Wabash, Kzoo, etc).  Based on their results I could see them holding Wartburg off the scoreboard or allowing just one and staying in the game.

Can you tell us about MSOE?

I posted this in the North Region thread for predictions, but I'll add a little more.

Logan Andryk & Braden Andryk are very, very good players for MSOE. They are the 2 reasons that MSOE finds themselves in the NCAA tournament. Lots of individual skill combined with great soccer brains. Logan leads the nation in assists. He's a pure playmaker, playing as a box-to-box midfielder. He takes every free kick, every throw-in, and the right footed in-swinging corners. Braden takes the left in-swinging corners. Braden is left-footed and is an outstanding finisher. He's also a freshman, but he has the confidence of someone much older. He creates shooting windows for himself and puts them away consistently. Shut these two down and MSOE will struggle to score.

Skow is a center back who is quite good as well. He's the one rock solid player in the back and scores plenty of goals from set pieces. Logan and Braden both serve in outstanding balls and Skow and a few others are able to convert more often than not. Take care of business defensively on set pieces, and you're in good shape.

Farin (GK) has great stats, but can be beat. Not the best in the air and gives up rebounds. MSOE has been privileged to not give up too many opportunities so his GAA & save % look pretty good.

Only other players of note are a few foreign players who have a bit of flair (Silas Linares) & height (Witte). Nothing too dangerous but decent role players.

Overall, I could definitely see the Raiders pulling a first round upset over Wartburg, especially if they are looking ahead at other matchups. Logan & Braden Andryk are game changers and if Wartburg cannot defend them for 90 minutes, MSOE could prevail.

PaulNewman

So, in other words, and as argument against weighting SOS TOO heavily, MSOE would have been a worthy entry even without the AQ?

Mr.Right

Just saw Logan is a transfer from Marquette and more awesome for me is their coach. Jimmy Banks was a great defender for the US national team that I saw in Italy in 1990. I always wondered where he and a few other players from that team ever went. I love gathering new info like this.

Off Pitch

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 11, 2014, 09:14:35 PM
Tell me about it. Off Pitch primary goal here is to trash Nescac schools.

I have a challenge for you mr right to put up or shut up.  Find even one example of where I have offered a negative opinion about a NESCAC school.  Should be very easy to do if it is my primary goal.

Mr.Right

I can think of a bunch of times but I am to lazy to search your posts and frankly do not feel like reading all your trash

Off Pitch

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 11, 2014, 10:29:42 PM
I can think of a bunch of times but I am to lazy to search your posts and frankly do not feel like reading all your trash

Ok, name one that you can think of.  Should be very easy for you since you can think of a bunch of them.  Go ahead.