FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesleydad

Since my son played for Wesley starting in 2005 I can certainly explain why he went there.  He was recruited by schools at all levels and met a number of coaches, but there was only 1 coach that he met that he told me I had to meet and the was Coach Drass.  In my opinion they do things right at Wesley, they are willing to take a risk on what may not be that best student out there and give them a chance at a college degree and play some really good football at the same time.  I know my son fit into that category and was expected to meet all academic requirements each season.  I also know that they do not mess around with athletes not making it in the classroom because during his time at Wesley several pretty good players were dismissed from the team for academics.  Heck, one of the best players ever at the school had to go back to community college to get his grades up so he could be accepted back to Wesley.  He graduated and so did my son.  The assistant coaches are very good, but the facilities as Ski stated will not be the reason you go there.  Since 2005 they have been one of the top football programs in D3 and that certainly helps with recruiting too.

Swish3

I tend to agree w/everyone's comments, and I don't want to beat a dead horse, but CNU is a real life example of how tough academic requirements can impact a program. 

Scots13

Quote from: Swish3 on November 18, 2014, 12:49:49 PM
I tend to agree w/everyone's comments, and I don't want to beat a dead horse, but CNU is a real life example of how tough academic requirements can impact a program.

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, but even if CNU has increased its academic standards/requirements it still charges public university tuition which has got to help a little. Without looking at the numbers and taking a wild guess, it's probably $15k-ish at CNU, 43k-ish at Maryville, 45k-ish at HSC, arm and a leg-ish at W&L, etc. You get the point.

With that being said, I give credit to CNU and its academics. I know several students there and they ain't no dummies

Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on November 18, 2014, 01:59:36 PM

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, but even if CNU has increased its academic standards/requirements it still charges public university tuition which has got to help a little. Without looking at the numbers and taking a wild guess, it's probably $15k-ish at CNU, 43k-ish at Maryville, 45k-ish at HSC, arm and a leg-ish at W&L, etc. You get the point.

With that being said, I give credit to CNU and its academics. I know several students there and they ain't no dummies

When I went to school (class of '00) W&L was one of the cheaper private schools amongst its peers. Since then the school has gone in the other direction, although tuition and room and board are free if your family income is less than $75K. But yes, if you are paying full freight these days, arm and leg pretty well describes it.

Scots13

Really? Free if income is less than $75k. Interesting.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on November 18, 2014, 02:12:19 PM

yep. They announced that a year or two ago. The endowment is in the ridiculous range per student. There is no reason for tuition to be so high. I wish they would do more...

narch

Quote from: jknezek on November 18, 2014, 02:18:50 PM
Quote from: Scots13 on November 18, 2014, 02:12:19 PM

yep. They announced that a year or two ago. The endowment is in the ridiculous range per student. There is no reason for tuition to be so high. I wish they would do more...
i'll bet there are some folks paying their accountants a lot of money to make sure that AGI comes in under the $75K mark :)

Scots13

But back to the tuition thing:
(from each school's website)
CNU
IN-state: $11,140.00
OUt of state: $16,304.00 

Maryville
$41,842

HSC
$50,974

W&L
$61,310
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

D3MAFAN

Quote from: Scots13 on November 18, 2014, 01:59:36 PM

I work for and with a couple CNU Alum and they are very intelligent. 

tigerfanalso

I wonder what school will attract the most students ? With those low, very low, fees CNU should be able to attract lots of good student-athletes. Williams, Amherst play pretty damn good basketball. Not only are those schools top tier academically, pretty damn expensive as well. So I don't buy into the fact CNU academics are SOOOOO hard it makes it difficult to find good student-athletes; if anything the fees being charged should make that job pretty damn easy in comparison.

Scots13

Quote from: tigerfanalso on November 18, 2014, 02:41:26 PM
I wonder what school will attract the most students ? With those low, very low, fees CNU should be able to attract lots of good student-athletes. Williams, Amherst play pretty damn good basketball. Not only are those schools top tier academically, pretty damn expensive as well. So I don't buy into the fact CNU academics are SOOOOO hard it makes it difficult to find good student-athletes; if anything the fees being charged should make that job pretty damn easy in comparison.

Give Maryville (or most other D3 schools in the south region) $12k in state tuition and watch the outcome. They will pull kids away from Carson Newman and Tusculum (D2 schools in East Tennessee). Carson Newman is pretty damn good too, made it to the d2 championship last year. It's either pay more going d2 even with a scholarship, or go d3 flat out. Wouldn't be a difficult decision for most.

I say this and I realize the Commonwealth of Virginia does not give taxpayer money to public university's athletics. But still. Come on. No one is saying have better facilities than Tech or UVA. Just a little more than most D3 schools. And then see what happens.

Finally on this particular post, I have to brag. As a Maryville alum and all this talk about academics, I am proud to say MC is one of very few colleges and universities in the NATION that requires all graduates to pass comprehensive exams and write an undergraduate thesis. One other one being Yale. Yes. THAT Yale.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on November 18, 2014, 02:53:50 PM

Finally on this particular post, I have to brag. As a Maryville alum and all this talk about academics, I am proud to say MC is one of very few colleges and universities in the NATION that requires all graduates to pass comprehensive exams and write an undergraduate thesis. One other one being Yale. Yes. THAT Yale.

Most schools require finals, aren't they comprehensive exams? As for an undergraduate thesis, that is interesting. I did a thesis for my grad work at FAU that didn't require anywhere near the effort I put in for my undergrad work at W&L. Requiring these things doesn't actually make them difficult.

Are the thesis often rejected? How many students fail to graduate because they can't pass the exams?

Scots13

Quote from: jknezek on November 18, 2014, 03:00:26 PM
Quote from: Scots13 on November 18, 2014, 02:53:50 PM

Most schools require finals, aren't they comprehensive exams? As for an undergraduate thesis, that is interesting. I did a thesis for my grad work at FAU that didn't require anywhere near the effort I put in for my undergrad work at W&L. Requiring these things doesn't actually make them difficult.

Are the thesis often rejected? How many students fail to graduate because they can't pass the exams?

The comprehensive exam are a capstone exam over courses in your major. I can't remember exactly how long they were, but 2 days at least 4 hours. Over classes from freshman to senior year. It was a doozy.

You have the option of taking them in the spring or fall for most majors. As an econ major I had to take my spring of my graduating year. if you fail in the fall, you retake in the spring. Fail in the spring...God have mercy on your soul. (I really don't know. Maybe come back in the summer and retake them, but you can walk on graduation just not get the diploma released?)

The thesis thing sucks, but doesn't. You're a senior and haven't dropped out so you are semi-interested in your major. Each major has different requirements, but same kind of process. I had a minimum of like 40 pages, but went into the 60's. Some kids wrote 120+ pages in the English department or communications. I wrote a case study on the economy of Iceland, so 62 or so was tough to get.
You get credit for 2 semesters of class to do it if you meet with your thesis advisor once a week. They can reject it; I've seen it done. But your thesis is your world before graduation. People want to graduate and professors are there to help. It helps that you are in a peer group to help revise and such and the professor only has about 4-6 kids.      But you get that with tuition in the 40's and 1200 students  ;D
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

So it's essentially an independent study essay course for 2 semesters? I had one of those for a single semester. Same kind of paper at the end. We didn't call it a thesis put it was a required class for a Business degree so you had to pass. Interesting idea.

We didn't have a "capstone exam" per say, but you had a capstone class with a significant final. It was an application exam including components of all the core classes of your major. Doesn't sound quite as comprehensive, I think it was a single 3 hour exam as all scheduled finals at W&L were, but similar concept.

Scots13

Our capstone class for econ was the reason we took comps in the spring. History of Economic Thought. Loved that class.

Nearly 80% of my classes required papers throughout the semester AND a final paper over 10 pages in length. High school kids complain about 2 pagers. Noobs..

W&L and MC might have more in common than I thought. Must be the fact Isaac Anderson was a pre-W&L graduate. It's like we're 5th cousins. :D

NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!