MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerFanAlso2

Can't wait to see who the W&M AD hires to follow Tony Shaver and what type of success that person has.
Tony will land on his feet; I can see him being head assistance at a really high level or head at a mid-major, if he desires to do so.
He is well respected w/I the NCAA basketball community.   

tigerFanAlso2

And I forgot, grats to both RMC and GC. Thanks for representing the ODAC so well. Get better and to the final four next year.

I guess I will be pulling for CNU to bring the trophy back to Virginia. 

thescottharris

Heard the names of the three finalists that are to be coming to Farmville for interviews next week. Think H-SC will be getting a good one no matter what! Well assuming the list is correct and one of those three actually gets hired.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on March 14, 2019, 04:57:55 PM
And I forgot, grats to both RMC and GC. Thanks for representing the ODAC so well. Get better and to the final four next year.

Until Salem lost the FF to Ft. Wayne, the trophy came back to Virginia EVERY year! ;D

Smitty Oom

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 10, 2019, 06:15:45 PM
Quote from: Seatfiller on March 10, 2019, 05:32:49 PM
Quote from: CNU85 on March 09, 2019, 10:04:06 PM
Amazing season for Guilford! Congrats on a fabulous year!

Congratulations on CNU making it to the final four.  It would be nice if they can bring the championship to Virginia!

Until Ft. Wayne took over, the championship was almost ALWAYS brought to Virginia! ;D

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 14, 2019, 09:04:34 PM

Until Salem lost the FF to Ft. Wayne, the trophy came back to Virginia EVERY year! ;D

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 14, 2019, 09:12:45 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 10, 2019, 06:15:45 PM
Quote from: Seatfiller on March 10, 2019, 05:32:49 PM
Quote from: CNU85 on March 09, 2019, 10:04:06 PM
Amazing season for Guilford! Congrats on a fabulous year!

Congratulations on CNU making it to the final four.  It would be nice if they can bring the championship to Virginia!

Until Ft. Wayne took over, the championship was almost ALWAYS brought to Virginia! ;D

Great to see that my four-day-old posts are so memorable to someone!  Thanks, Smitty! ;)

Smitty Oom

Haha, you are welcome Ypsi! It was the same thread, I had to mention it. It was good enough to make me chuckle the first time around! The second time though...  :D ;)

tigerFanAlso2

scotth

hope Tony Shaver was on that list; just saying. Can't see him hanging around Williamsburg after W&M dumped him.

thescottharris

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on March 15, 2019, 11:09:08 AM
scotth

hope Tony Shaver was on that list; just saying. Can't see him hanging around Williamsburg after W&M dumped him.

No he was not. He would likely command a salary higher than H-SC would be able to pay anyways. The finalists were picked before he was even fired.

hasanova

Well, yeah, but you know what I meant.  lol

algernon

William and Mary should have some good seasons coming up, given the freshmen that Shaver has on his team.  After that, who knows, but W&M will be lucky if they continue as well as they have over the past 10 years with Coach Shaver.  The Tribe had three-straight 20-win seasons in 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16 and won the CAA regular season Championship in 2015. 

Prior to Shaver's arrival in 2004, W&M had just two CAA Tournament wins in 18 years as a member of the league.  In contrast, during Shaver's 16 seasons, W&M won 14 CAA Tournament contests and made 4 championship game appearances.

tigerFanAlso2

W&M returns all starts next year plus a 7ft. Wisconsin transfer that had to sit out this year. All very strange.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: scotth on March 15, 2019, 06:24:06 PM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on March 15, 2019, 11:09:08 AM
scotth

No he was not. He would likely command a salary higher than H-SC would be able to pay anyways. The finalists were picked before he was even fired.

That doesn't mean things can't change. Muhlenberg had it's finalists in place and all on campus - decision about to come - when Hopkins was suddenly added to the mix and he got the job. W&L had it's mind set on who they were going to hire, from what I was told, before the hiring process revealed other candidates like McHugh appeared on the radar.

Hiring Shaver at HSC isn't the craziest thing I would have heard happen. It may not happen and there are good reasons from Shaver's point of view, but it was also one of the first things I thought could happen when I saw he was fired.

I also think this is an example of why schools need to slow down on their hiring processes. HSC already having finalists and maybe set to announce a new hire before the DIII season is officially over - or the D1 regular season coming to a close - seems too rushed in my opinion. There are a number of good candidates who are not available to visit or interview as of yet. There is nothing wrong with waiting a few more weeks to make sure you get the right hire from the right candidate pool. Any hires made before the start of April (or even mid-April) seems too soon for me ... and doesn't always produce solid results in the long-term.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hasanova

RMC 9th and GC 13th in final d3hoops poll.

tigerFanAlso2