CCIW

Started by Fawkes316, July 10, 2006, 01:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

Should be a good match today at Wheaton as Trinity (TX) comes to town.   Glad to see the staff at TU scheduling some tough non-conference play outside of the south.

NCF

North Central lost to Wheaton 5-0 last night to fall to 1-2 in CCIW play.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

NCF

North Central and Carthage played to a draw yesterday @ B-W stadium. the Cards are now 1-2-1 in CCIW play.
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11

NCF

The North Central women needed OT to defeat Millikin, 2-1 last night. Their season record is now 6-7-2, 2-2-1 in CCIW play.

NCF

The North Central women earned a trip to the conference tournament for the first time EVER in program history. They will face #1 seed Augie on Wednesday.

NCF

The North Central women were defeated 3-1 by Augastana in the opening round of the CCIW tournament. Augie moves on to play Wheaton on Saturday, Nov. 3 @ Augie @ 6 p.m.

NCF

Wheaton beats regular season champ Augie to claim the 2012 tournament champinship.

NCF

Congrats to North Central's Hope Stayer on being named First Team All-Conference!

tjcummingsfan

So the undefeated Wheaton women lost  0-1 to th winless in conference Millikin ladies.  What a shocker.

Jim Matson

First loss to a team with a losing record since 1995, as far as I can tell. But it didn't hurt 'em at all in the post-season.
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

WLCALUM83

"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."

Gotberg

NPU's roster is starting to share similarities with the men's roster:

https://athletics.northpark.edu/sports/womens-soccer/roster

Not too surprising, but unsure why it's taken so long.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

PlaySimple

Quote from: Gotberg on August 31, 2021, 09:49:01 AM

Similar in that there are a lot of Scandanavians, Swedes in particular, but not yet similar in roster size. I counted the North Park men's roster this year and I think that 59 players are on it. I believe that there have been 60+ in other years. I just don't see the advantage of carrying that many on the roster. Someone is always going to be discontented. I also wonder about the organization of training sessions.

That said, the NP men have had a lot of success. We'll see if the women find similar success. Lately, they've been one of the bottom-tier sides in the CCIW.

I know that North Park University was founded by the Evangelical Covenant Church which itself was founded by Swedish immigrants in the late 1800s, but does the school still really hold a strong affiliation with that church? If so, is it enough of affiliation that it would attract so many Swedes and other Scandanavians? I ask because there are many Wesleyan universities, Illinois Wesleyan for instance, that were founded by the United Methodist Church, that are now private liberal arts institutions that are primarily nonsectarian and really only "Wesleyan" in the name. I would be willing to bet that most schools bearing the Wesleyan name are no longer affiliated with the Methodist church.

Gotberg

Quote from: PlaySimple on August 31, 2021, 11:37:03 AM

Similar in that there are a lot of Scandanavians, Swedes in particular, but not yet similar in roster size. I counted the North Park men's roster this year and I think that 59 players are on it. I believe that there have been 60+ in other years. I just don't see the advantage of carrying that many on the roster. Someone is always going to be discontented. I also wonder about the organization of training sessions.

That said, the NP men have had a lot of success. We'll see if the women find similar success. Lately, they've been one of the bottom-tier sides in the CCIW.

I know that North Park University was founded by the Evangelical Covenant Church which itself was founded by Swedish immigrants in the late 1800s, but does the school still really hold a strong affiliation with that church? If so, is it enough of affiliation that it would attract so many Swedes and other Scandanavians? I ask because there are many Wesleyan universities, Illinois Wesleyan for instance, that were founded by the United Methodist Church, that are now private liberal arts institutions that are primarily nonsectarian and really only "Wesleyan" in the name. I would be willing to bet that most schools bearing the Wesleyan name are no longer affiliated with the Methodist church.

The University continues to 'report up' to the church denomination, so yes, there are still strong ties between both.  However, I don't' think Scandinavian athletes have any affiliation to the church....but I do think the strong Scandinavian culture at the school has garnered a reputation across the Atlantic.  This is likely why there have been multiple Swedish D1 transfers as of late.

In terms of roster size, North Park is a tuition based school, so it's hard to believe the school wouldn't accept the numbers as long as the team's infrastructure can support it.  Based on the results over the last decade, that seems to prove they've been able to figure it out.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Gregory Sager

Similar in that there are a lot of Scandanavians, Swedes in particular, but not yet similar in roster size. I counted the North Park men's roster this year and I think that 59 players are on it. I believe that there have been 60+ in other years.

No, this is the largest number of kits that the NPU men's team has handed out, ever. There were 67 guys listed on the intial roster, but a few walked away (as expected) during preseason training.

The current roster of 27 players is the largest that the NPU women's team has ever had.

Quote from: PlaySimple on August 31, 2021, 11:37:03 AMI just don't see the advantage of carrying that many on the roster. Someone is always going to be discontented. I also wonder about the organization of training sessions.

It's not deliberate. A substantial number of the local players are, if not actual walk-ons, at least players who chose NPU without a lot of work being put in on them on the part of the coaches. North Park is obviously a big sell locally due to the program's success. While it can be hard to coach that many players with the limited staff available, the advantage is that some of those guys who are going to NPU but will be strictly JV material are players whom a Carthage or a Dominican or a North Central wanted but didn't get.

North Park is a D3 school. That means that if you pay the money to go there, you deserve the chance to be handed a kit and put on the roster. That doesn't mean that you're ever going to see the pitch in a varsity game, and the coaching staff certainly isn't promising that.

Quote from: PlaySimple on August 31, 2021, 11:37:03 AMThat said, the NP men have had a lot of success. We'll see if the women find similar success. Lately, they've been one of the bottom-tier sides in the CCIW.

Not just lately; NPU has almost always been bottom-tier in CCIW women's soccer. The Vikings have never qualified for the four-team CCIW tournament, which has been played annually (aside from last season) since 2002. They haven't finished in the top half of the league since 1998, and they've finished last or next-to-last for six straight seasons now.

Quote from: PlaySimple on August 31, 2021, 11:37:03 AMI know that North Park University was founded by the Evangelical Covenant Church which itself was founded by Swedish immigrants in the late 1800s, but does the school still really hold a strong affiliation with that church?

Yes, very much so, although the percentage of undergrads who are from Covenant churches has plummeted dramatically over the past two decades.

Quote from: PlaySimple on August 31, 2021, 11:37:03 AMIf so, is it enough of affiliation that it would attract so many Swedes and other Scandanavians?

The denominational affiliation of the school really doesn't have any impact upon drawing international students from the Scandinavian countries, because those countries are probably the most secularized and post-Christian countries in the world. What draws Swedish and Norwegian student-athletes to the school, apart from the fact that it's always nice to go to another country and find an institution that shares your ethnic heritage, is its Chicago location and the fact that there has been a fairly large population of Scandinavians in the undergrad population for many years. Sticking strictly to soccer, the Vikings men's program has had Swedes since the first season of the program (1981). After the waning of a brief period in the early '90s in which there were several Norwegians on the team, Norwegians became a very prominent part of the roster starting about five or six years ago.

But, again, that has nothing to do with the school's religious affiliation. The reason why soccer players from Norway and Sweden come to North Park is simple: they're recruited. The NPU men's program has put a lot of time and effort into recruiting in Scandinavia beginning with the arrival of John Born as head coach in the late '90s and continuing with current head coach Kris Grahn (who is himself a Swede and a former NPU All-American midfielder), and it's turned into a genuine pipeline. Players go back home and spread the word about the school, and there are now NPU men's soccer alumni who are running soccer academies, camps, and scouting services in Norway and Sweden who help steer their players to the North Side of Chicago.

The women's soccer program has been a different story. There's been a trickle of Norwegian and Swedish players over the years, but nothing like the substantial numbers that the men's soccer program has had. That's because the women's program hasn't tried to copy what the men's program has done in terms of recruiting philosophy. The biggest part of the problem with NPU women's soccer is that the coaching job has continually been a revolving door; in the last decade alone North Park has had five head coaches. And none of them until now, to the best of my knowledge, has made an attempt to recruit in Scandinavia; the Norwegians and Swedes (and at least one Dane) that the Vikings have had over the years were basically just international students who decided on their own to join the team. As a result, they've been good enough to play for North Park -- as is the case throughout Europe, Scandinavian boys and girls learn how to kick a ball basically about the same time that they learn how to walk -- but they haven't been the same type of extremely athletic, highly technical, high-soccer-IQ players as their male Scandinavian counterparts in North Park kits.

That's going to change now. Emma Woodley, who was a star forward for North Park in the last decade as Emma Lundeen, is now the head coach, and she is very intentional about not only utilizing the recruiting connections in Sweden and Norway that the men's program has developed but in going to Scandinavia herself to recruit. When you know the school backwards and forwards the way that she does (she's a fourth- or fifth-generation North Parker whose grandfather worked for the school for decades), and you have already have a template for national success right there on campus in the form of the men's program, why would you not choose to build around Swedes and Norwegians? Add in the fact that Emma is a highly personable recruiting dynamo (she used to be an admissions officer at NPU), and I think that you can see the possibility that she could really turn North Park women's soccer around. Not overnight, naturally, but over the course of the next few seasons.

I ask because there are many Wesleyan universities, Illinois Wesleyan for instance, that were founded by the United Methodist Church, that are now private liberal arts institutions that are primarily nonsectarian and really only "Wesleyan" in the name. I would be willing to bet that most schools bearing the Wesleyan name are no longer affiliated with the Methodist church.

I think that most "Wesleyan" schools still retain at least a nominal affiliation with the UMC, but the denominational presence and influence, and the recognition of the school's religious heritage, is close to nonexistent at those schools. Most are secular in all but name. Some schools, such as Wesleyan University in Connecticut and the all-women Wesleyan College in Georgia, are completely unaffiliated with any religious organization.

The exceptions are the "Wesleyan" schools that are affiliated with smaller, more conservative denominations in that same Methodist tradition, such as Indiana Wesleyan (Wesleyan Church), Roberts Wesleyan (Free Methodist Church), Oklahoma Wesleyan (Wesleyan Church), Southern Wesleyan (Wesleyan Church), and Allegheny Wesleyan (Allegheny Wesleyan Methodist Connection).
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell