FB: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

Sorry, TigerPop.   I really don't know enough about what is going on in SA this year to answer that question.  I think the running game can be a strength, but only if the inexperienced OL comes together.  I am hoping for a bit more consistency and verticality from the passing game, that depends not only on the OL but the QB situation ironing itself out (Coach Mohr said in the E-N article that the starting role was still up for grabs) so the the starter and the WRs can get on the same page. 

The week 1 game against ETBU should act as a decent measuring stick for the season.

evacuee

Re: Predicted order of finish

Seeing DePauw and Trinity atop the SCAC predictions reminds me of something that Jim Rome once said about D-1 Women's Basketball:  "UConn and Tennessee look to be the favorites to win the national championship this year.  Look for this to happen for the next twenty years." 

To the SCAC also-rans, I'm glad you came along for the ride.  However, if you're in the bottom 3/4, I think it's a long way into that top fouth.

To the DPU faithful I offer the same condolences.  I'm afraid for you that it is an even longer way into the top spot.  Even should the Tigers lose a battle, we will always win the war. 

Moondog, how's married life?  Try to make it out to Jackson with your siblings for homecoming this year.  That's the only one I'll be able to make.  I'm sure we'll play smart enough this year to wrap up another playoff spot that day. 

Ralph Turner

ASC Pick'em Contest is up on the Pick' em Boards.  We invite you SCAC fans to join us.  We will have at least one SCAC contest each week.

ASC 2006 Pick'em Contest Rules

etg

(El Tea Gray---re: Iona, I-AA Mid-Major)

Pat,
You are correct about the class of football at Iona; two of their ten games are vs. D3 teams (Montclair State and Western Conn.) with only Columbia and Duquesne as strong hurdles. Still the average quality of football player in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC), although certainly not equal to their basketball squads, is IMHO probably slightly above the average for D3.

Regarding RB Greg Bielski, Trinity is glad to now have him; the Tigers tried to recruit him out of Carroll High School (Corpus Christi) two years ago. His SO stats with very limited playing time at Iona in 2005 were Rushing--197 yds., Rec.--35 yds., Kickoff Ret.--21 yds. for 253 Total All-Purpose yds.

:) 

dpuinaz

Quote from: TU2698 on August 28, 2006, 10:46:18 AM

To the SCAC also-rans, I'm glad you came along for the ride.  However, if you're in the bottom 3/4, I think it's a long way into that top fouth.

To the DPU faithful I offer the same condolences.  I'm afraid for you that it is an even longer way into the top spot.  Even should the Tigers lose a battle, we will always win the war. 

Come on...tell us how you really feel.  I'll admit it: TU has been dominant, but is losing steam by the season.  Sure, DePauw faces challenges of its own, but it seems pretty cocky to make a comment like this when your own program is hardly secure in its own identity for the season...

gil68

Trash talk is a means of containment.  The group percieved to be in power seeks to put the "other" in the place they want them to be.  This is because they are insecure with their own position.
DePauw Never Quits!

Li'l Giant

Has Depauw had a scrimmage? Is there one scheduled? I see nothing indicating this on the website.

Does anyone have any insight on how the team is looking? Inquiring minds want to know...  ???
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

exmajor

For those interested, the Millsaps / Miss. College game will be broadcast on the local ESPN affiliate in Jackson on Saturday.  The kickoff is scheduled for 7 pm and it is the first time in over 40 years the game will be played at one of the school's home stadiums (Millsaps).  Here is a link to ESPN 1240's website:

http://www.espnradio1240.com/default.html

scotty

Quote from: Li'l Giant on August 29, 2006, 11:48:51 AM
Has Depauw had a scrimmage? Is there one scheduled? I see nothing indicating this on the website.

Does anyone have any insight on how the team is looking? Inquiring minds want to know...  ???

i was told they split a doubleheader last Saturday...1st game 7 to 5, 2nd game 4 to 8...oops sorry wrong sport  ;)
Boo Creepy Foot Doctor, Hooray Beer.

DPULefty22

Quote from: Li'l Giant on August 29, 2006, 11:48:51 AM

What better way to get back posting on the D3 boards than to answer this question - I was at their scrimmage this past Saturday against Franklin.

At quarterback, it looks like Abe Winkle is going to be the guy to replace Wiethoff... he drove the first team down the field for a TD on his only drive of the day. Robbie McLaughlin and the freshman Spud Dick impressed, but at this point I'd say it's Winkle's job to lose. The reconstructed O-line looked impressive too, though they're going to look good as long as they give Tiger running backs even the slightest hole to run through.

I thought the defense looked a little suspect against the pass but their pressure in the backfield was excellent... and that was without Dustin Hertel, who sat out the scrimmage. I don't know much about Franklin's running game and how good it's supposed to be but I do know they couldn't run at all against DePauw. Their front four is very good and with Hertel I'd say you could call it 'great'.

Lots of reasons for the defending SCAC Champs to be optimistic heading into the opener against Anderson next Saturday.

Li'l Giant

"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: DPULefty22 on August 29, 2006, 02:02:04 PM
Lots of reasons for the defending SCAC co-champs to be optimistic heading into the opener against Anderson next Saturday.

Good report, DPULefty22, but I made one minor correction.   ;D

Ron Boerger

Interesting tidbit:  the Trinity two-deep provided by ETBU sports information has Blake Barmore listed as the starter at QB on Saturday.  The other surprise is Jonathan Plotnick listed as a backup at WR position.  Chris Baer will start at RB; the four starting WRs, all familiar names, are seniors Zach Byars, William Kuhlman, Justin Thompson, and Anthony Hicks. 

Josh Bowerman

Spud Dick is now my favorite DIII player.   What a name!  8)
"Without struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass

wabashcpa

Quote from: Josh Bowerman on August 29, 2006, 06:31:02 PM
Spud Dick is now my favorite DIII player.   What a name!  8)

I don't expect Spud to be shown much mercy when the Dannies come to town in November.

I do expect DePauw to be strong defensively - Hertel is a stud, period.  Offensively, whoever is at QB will need to keep opposing defenses honest and keep from completely keying on Marks.