MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronk

The Royals made their quest for an NCAA tourney spot a lot harder with a home-court loss to Drew, going from an 11-point lead with 10 mins left to an 8-pt deficit 7 mins later, committing 6 turnovers in that span. Fouling a 3-pt shooter 2 different times cost them an additional 5 points(out of 6 possible). They'll need to play smarter than that if there's to be a future.
  Still a chance to finish 2nd and host a home game semifinal; this requires a Royal win(Goucher) and a Drew loss(Catholic) Saturday. Catholic has been w/o their PG(Colin Hartmann) for the recent 3 games, so it's unlikely they'll fill their half.

CardsFan

Quote from: ronk on February 19, 2020, 10:52:08 PM
The Royals made their quest for an NCAA tourney spot a lot harder with a home-court loss to Drew, going from an 11-point lead with 10 mins left to an 8-pt deficit 7 mins later, committing 6 turnovers in that span. Fouling a 3-pt shooter 2 different times cost them an additional 5 points(out of 6 possible). They'll need to play smarter than that if there's to be a future.
  Still a chance to finish 2nd and host a home game semifinal; this requires a Royal win(Goucher) and a Drew loss(Catholic) Saturday. Catholic has been w/o their PG(Colin Hartmann) for the recent 3 games, so it's unlikely they'll fill their half.

Losing Colin has been a real blow. Until he picked up his injury he was Catholic's most consistent player in Landmark play. The team is averaging a cool 59.7 ppg in the three games he's missed. I was disappointed he was unable to play on Senior Day last Saturday. He's had a nice season.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Goucher beat Catholic in what Ryan Scott now dubs the D3hoops.com Derby (I like the description) ... 86-70, but it was FAR closer than that. Goucher happened to hit a couple of late shots they normally miss badly.

Nice way to close out my 25th season as PA Announcer for Goucher.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CardsFan

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 19, 2020, 11:32:40 PM
Goucher beat Catholic in what Ryan Scott now dubs the D3hoops.com Derby (I like the description) ... 86-70, but it was FAR closer than that. Goucher happened to hit a couple of late shots they normally miss badly.

Manchester and Merseyside are going to have to make room for a third major Derby!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: CardsFan on February 20, 2020, 12:22:44 AM

Manchester and Merseyside are going to have to make room for a third major Derby!!

You may have just said the one thing to unite Arsenal and Spurs fans.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

CardsFan

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 20, 2020, 12:24:59 AM
Quote from: CardsFan on February 20, 2020, 12:22:44 AM

You may have just said the one thing to unite Arsenal and Spurs fans.

Nonsense! I didn't post a video of Chelsea losing.

NEPAFAN

Not sure if you know who does the Juniata pbp but they were saying Goucher is a team to watch out for next year. Well coached, etc. 
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: NEPAFAN on February 20, 2020, 10:29:09 AM

Not sure if you know who does the Juniata pbp but they were saying Goucher is a team to watch out for next year. Well coached, etc.

I do know who he is ... see him every season at Goucher. He sits right next to me.

Interesting take he has considering Goucher loses Morton and Goralski ... but I appreciate his thinking on it. I hope he is right.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

saratoga

Goucher's rebuilding program for next year will probably start Saturday vs. the Royals.

This once proud program (Scranton), has now been taken to new heights of mediocrity.

ronk

Last night on his Hoopsville show Dave McHugh was asked what is the most interesting conference tournament race in each region. Wrt to the Mid-Atlantic, Dave said that the Landmark doesn't excite him this year.
  Why he isn't excited escapes me because the top 2 teams are tied; the 3rd place team is a game behind, and the other team in the tourney has already beaten 2 of the other 3 teams in the regular season. It's hard to believe that any tourney could be closer.

D3RetiredHooper

Not to put words in Dave's mouth but to me he meant that the Landmark is almost certainly a one-bid league so that is the reason for minimal excitement. The Centennial and the CAC both can get multiple teams in if upsets are pulled which enhances the excitement from the national perspective.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: D3RetiredHooper on February 21, 2020, 11:00:22 AM
Not to put words in Dave's mouth but to me he meant that the Landmark is almost certainly a one-bid league so that is the reason for minimal excitement. The Centennial and the CAC both can get multiple teams in if upsets are pulled which enhances the excitement from the national perspective.

That is exactly what I was trying to say. And having the top two teams tied doesn't mean anything for me in the conference tournament. We weren't talking about how the regular season might end.

I think the Centennial is a bit more interesting because I think an upset of Swarthmore (which could happen) changes a lot of things nationwide. Even the CAC could be slightly interesting, but it's more in line with the Landmark in the sense that I'm not going to be blown away necessarily with who wins ... and in the Landmark's case, I'm not expecting it to change anything nationwide in terms of Pool C bids.

You can be excited about the conference tournament. I don't find it as exciting as the Centennial in this region.

ronk

That the Landmark is a 1-bid league is an answer to a question that wasn't asked in this case. Rather, which is the most interesting conference tournament in the region?

Rofrog

Plus 1 Ronk !They always need to cover for each other!!!

Rofrog

I think the Landmark is always a one tournament team!