FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

Quote from: smedindy on November 12, 2016, 09:10:51 PM
You can't ask for anything more out of two arch rivals. I have to say that while I hate the loss, I'm glad that the rivalry is back. It's better to have this than whatever the Knox / Monmouth thing has become.

I can't bring myself to talk bad about the Bronze Turkey.  The Bronze Turkey is pretty high in my cool rivalry trophy power rankings. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

smedindy

DPU3619

You can't ask for anything more out of two arch rivals. I have to say that while I hate the loss, I'm glad that the rivalry is back. It's better to have this than whatever the Knox / Monmouth thing has become.

Loved this football game regardless of the result. A thriller from start to finish. That's what this thing is supposed to be about.

SaintsFAN

It's good to have a competitive rival; it assures that the non-competitive team won't quit the rivalry, twice. 

I'm still salty about having an off week in Week 11.
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

Li'l Giant

So I watched the highlights from yesterday. In the moment watching that game was intense and nerve-wracking and losing it was upsetting. But that was a damn fine football game worthy of a place in Monon Bell lore.

I started to feel glad that we won't be seeing Matt Hunt again but then I realized we're losing Rice, too. A shame, because one more matchup between these two QBs would probably be a lot of fun to watch. At least if I wasn't going insane watching it.

Thanks go out to this year's seniors who went 39-6, 3-1 in Bell games, and a 3-2 record in two trips to the playoffs. Great work, Gents.

WAF
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

smedindy

Watched the end of the game that Ken posted. I shed a tear for those seniors, but, really, the Bell needed a game like this.

Not that I didn't mind the blowouts, but close, clean games are what we should get every time good faces evil.

WAF

Li'l Giant

The Witt/Thomas More matchup will have my attention. I think that will be a good game.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

SaintsFAN

Thomas More gets a shot at redemption with Witt.  Last playoff game played against Witt ended badly in 2001. 

I feel like this will be an excellent game.
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

DPU3619

A couple of observations after I re-watched the game today:

- DePauw clearly thought they had an advantage in the run game. Almost 7 a carry shows they were right. I thought the DPU OL was the difference, frankly. They ran QB split zone a TON. The dropped snap and the first long Hunt TD came on that play. Love, love that play. Nowadays, pretty much everybody runs some type of read play on the defensive ends. Those edge rush guys get a TON of coaching on how to handle being read. Wabash's guys have historically been very good that. Keep your shoulders square, squeeze down in the B gap as the tackle over you crosses your face, and then read & react to the mesh. So, instead of reading them, DePauw chose to block them with the back. Kirchhoff did a great job cut blocking the backside end. It became apparent that those Wabash DEs hadn't spent a ton of time working on defeating cut blocks, because they ended up with their cleats in the air quite a bit. DePauw also ran QB power quite a bit. That's another way to handle those edge guys that do a good job handling being read - pull a guard and kick them out. DePauw ran a little bit of a different look than a traditional power. Usually your guard pulls & leads up on the LB and then you have the block back the end. DePauw flipped it. They kicked out with the guard and sent the back through almost like a traditional iso block. That was the second long Hunt TD run. Again, clearly they wanted to get physical with those DEs. Overall, I can't remember the last time I saw that many pancakes in a Bell game by the DPU OL.

- DePauw had the post route pretty much anytime they wanted. TD to go up 14-0 was post from the inside guy in the trips. Outside fade, #2 & #3 switched but both ran post. TD went to the deeper of the 2 posts. I'm very surprised that the Wabash D did not make an adjustment to post during the course of the game. The final drive was pretty much all post routes until the TD, which was a smash concept (curl/corner) to the field. Whip & a wheel to the boundary. That's a great play in the red zone, honestly. It's good against just about any coverage. Throw your smash if it's 1 high safety, which it was. Looked like Cover 1 w/ no blitz. Andy Hunt 1 on 1 with a corner route against pretty much any D3 linebacker is probably a win. If they're in 2 high safeties (which is certainly some type of Cover 2 that close to the goal line) or if they're bringing some type of boundary blitz, then you've got the wheel from the boundary #2. Great call by Dietz. I thought he called it great all day, honestly. DePauw's coaching staff had a great game plan. They found Wabash's defensive weaknesses and repeatedly attacked them.

firstdown

I watched an exciting Bell Game this past Saturday.  While I would have preferred a different outcome, it was quite a football game.  The one exception was the poor quality of the officiating for the game.  The missed calls went both ways so neither team received a particular advantage.  With the Bell Game on national TV, it was embarrassing to see the refs blow it.  The crowning blow was on the measurement for first down when the runner when out of bounds on the sideline and the refs moved the ball to the harsh mark and wanted to measure the first down there.  Somehow sanity prevailed and the measurement was made on the sideline where the runner went out.  The players deserve better.  How can the NCAC improve the quality of officiating?  Once again, it was a laughing stock, but this time on national television.

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: firstdown on November 14, 2016, 11:23:01 AM
I watched an exciting Bell Game this past Saturday.  While I would have preferred a different outcome, it was quite a football game.  The one exception was the poor quality of the officiating for the game.  The missed calls went both ways so neither team received a particular advantage.  With the Bell Game on national TV, it was embarrassing to see the refs blow it.  The crowning blow was on the measurement for first down when the runner when out of bounds on the sideline and the refs moved the ball to the harsh mark and wanted to measure the first down there.  Somehow sanity prevailed and the measurement was made on the sideline where the runner went out.  The players deserve better.  How can the NCAC improve the quality of officiating?  Once again, it was a laughing stock, but this time on national television.

This has been a pet peeve of mine.  I just don't understand why they have to move the ball at all.  If it's close enough that you're going to measure then do it where the ball was spotted to begin with.  Then you know exactly where it's suppose to be.  What really drives me wild is when they move the ball then measure it and it's an inch short or over.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

smedindy

Spotting is inexact anyway. Re-spotting a spot compounds a potential error.

Frankly, it's not just an NCAC thing or a D-3 thing.

wally_wabash

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on November 14, 2016, 11:43:12 AM
Quote from: firstdown on November 14, 2016, 11:23:01 AM

This has been a pet peeve of mine.  I just don't understand why they have to move the ball at all.  If it's close enough that you're going to measure then do it where the ball was spotted to begin with.  Then you know exactly where it's suppose to be.  What really drives me wild is when they move the ball then measure it and it's an inch short or over.

Watching it live and the way the call for measurement was delayed, it felt like Lynch asked for it after they had spotted the ball back at the hash.  It was obviously short, but seemed like DPU asked for that measurement to get a mini-timeout and think about whether or not they wanted to go for it (if I recall this was about to fourth down).  I could have misread that and the game officials just three-stooged the whole thing, but I think DPU asked for that measurement late. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

firstdown

I sat next to a Big 10 ref at lunch recently.  The head of officiating for the league had sent him videos of some of his calls to review along with other calls around the Big 10 to review.  Being a ref isn't an easy job, but it was good to see and hear how seriously those who officiate for the Big 10 and other major conferences take their roles and work to improve.  The NFL refs do miss some call from time to time, as was in evidence this weekend, but they too study their calls each week.  The top guys get to call the playoff games. 

The replays for the FCS and NFL levels help make sure that they get it right. Sometimes it can be tedious, but it does make the game seem fairer.  It also seems like a few refs figure that the replay will fix it if I make a miss call and rely on the replays too much, but the better refs focus in and  rarely get overturned.   

Refs at the D3 level are likely doing high school games on Friday night and their college games on Saturday in many cases.  Given the travel and the amount of compensation, they are more likely doing it for the love of the game and not for the $'s.  It doesn't take long to tell which refs study the rules regularly and critique themselves and those that are just there.  When they are doing a good job, you really don't notice them, but we they don't it sticks out like a sore thumb.  Without the benefit of video replay at the D3 level, it is all the more important to be focused and make good calls. 

As the Big 10 ref said, even if a ref isn't on top of the play to make a call, they entire crew is responsible for the calls, and a ref is expected to step in if the rules aren't being applied properly.  That's why you see refs having on field conferences to make sure that they get it right.

Wally, I think Coach Lynch stepped in on the measurement when he saw them moving it to the hash mark and the officiating crew moved back to measure at the sideline.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.