Shirts, and stickers and decals oh my!

Started by cawcdad, November 01, 2007, 05:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Carleton warm-up top on a young woman in the Orlando airport.

retagent

When I was going to high school (back in the dark ages) one of the gals who was a year behind me was wearing a Carleton tee shirt. She was rather well treated by God, upstairs ;), and one of her classmates went up to her and as he moved his head around from left to right, he said, "Car - L - Ton"  in a drawn out manner. I hope you get the drift. Sorry for that trip down memory lane  but.............

Yesterday I went to a Wisconsin State high school Championship game wearing my St John's cap, and saw a tween as I walked into the stadium wearing a St Thomas Tommies sweatshirt (he was too young to vent on) and kept my backside warm on my buddy's Augsburg blanket. A real MIAC night.

HSCTiger74

Quote from: retagent on November 20, 2009, 04:27:34 PM
When I was going to high school (back in the dark ages) one of the gals who was a year behind me was wearing a Carleton tee shirt. She was rather well treated by God, upstairs ;), and one of her classmates went up to her and as he moved his head around from left to right, he said, "Car - L - Ton"  in a drawn out manner. I hope you get the drift. Sorry for that trip down memory lane  but.............

Yesterday I went to a Wisconsin State high school Championship game wearing my St John's cap, and saw a tween as I walked into the stadium wearing a St Thomas Tommies sweatshirt (he was too young to vent on) and kept my backside warm on my buddy's Augsburg blanket. A real MIAC night.

Reminds me of a woman I worked with years ago when I lived in Auburn, AL. Whenever she wore her school sweatshirt someone would invariably ask her where UBUR was.
TANSTAAFL

frank uible

How far is it from Commerce, CA to Williamsburg, VA?

K-Mack

Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Hawks88

Anybody notice the error on the NCAA playoffs T-shirts being sold at the games today? The Maine Maritime folks probably weren't too happy when they went to buy theirs(if all locations had the same shirts).

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Hawks88 on November 21, 2009, 10:20:41 PM
Anybody notice the error on the NCAA playoffs T-shirts being sold at the games today? The Maine Maritime folks probably weren't too happy when they went to buy theirs(if all locations had the same shirts).
Post a picture of the T-shirt if you have it.  We would like to see that one.

Hawks88

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 21, 2009, 10:26:40 PM
Quote from: Hawks88 on November 21, 2009, 10:20:41 PM
Post a picture of the T-shirt if you have it.  We would like to see that one.

Didn't buy one(25 and 30 bucks, don't think so) and didn't think to take a picture. On the back where it had all the teams listed, it had SUNY Maritime where it should have had Maine Maritime.

HSCTiger74

Quote from: frank uible on November 20, 2009, 09:03:32 PM

Couldn't get Commerce in the mileage calculators I checked, but Los Angeles to Williamsburg is 2,327 mi (3,745 km) as the crow flies. Driving distance may be somewhat different.
TANSTAAFL

Ralph Turner

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on November 21, 2009, 11:01:04 PM
Quote from: frank uible on November 20, 2009, 09:03:32 PM

Couldn't get Commerce in the mileage calculators I checked, but Los Angeles to Williamsburg is 2,327 mi (3,745 km) as the crow flies. Driving distance may be somewhat different.
College of William and Mary to Whittier College is 2665 miles by the NCAA calculator.  Is that close enough?

reality check

Found out today that one of the guys I've been playing basketball with for three and a half years in Arizona was a QB during the Augustana run.  He played there from 84-87 and was part of three natl championship teams during the streak.  I had no idea for three plus years of weekend basketball with the guy.
OAC Champs: 1942 (one title ties us with Ohio State)
OAC Runners-Up: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2010, 2009, 2005, 2004, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1982, 1941 (Stupid Mount Union!)
MOL Champs: 1952, 1950

maripp2002

Just curious, but how many people support their alma maters and a local d3 squad? I almost feel like it'd be cheating on Wabash to cheer for Sewanee or Centre (the two nearest schools). I have the utmost respect for both schools. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue.
A fan of good football - wherever it may be found.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: maripp2002 on November 23, 2009, 06:49:46 PM
Just curious, but how many people support their alma maters and a local d3 squad? I almost feel like it'd be cheating on Wabash to cheer for Sewanee or Centre (the two nearest schools). I have the utmost respect for both schools. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue.

It becomes easier as you age! :(

I'm an IWU alum and CCIW partisan.  But having lived in Michigan for nearly forty years, I'm an MIAA fan (save only those times where CCIW loyalties override it).

You can feel free to cheer for Sewanee or Centre (your choice :D) with no guilt, whenever they are not facing Wabash!  And perhaps especially when they face DePauw - your call. ;D

I'd add that you could even cheer for IWU over Wabash in the football playoffs with no guilt, but I don't believe in rubbing it in! :o

(Sorry, the devil made me do it! :-[)

maripp2002

I can tell you, now the first round is over, I have no guilt cheering for IWU in the playoffs. IWU is a quality school, with quaility alumni and students. And I can, in fact, forgive at least half the students at IWU for not going to Wabash. :) As for the other half, well no one can make the right choice all the time.
A fan of good football - wherever it may be found.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: maripp2002 on November 23, 2009, 07:51:49 PM
I can tell you, now the first round is over, I have no guilt cheering for IWU in the playoffs. IWU is a quality school, with quaility alumni and students. And I can, in fact, forgive at least half the students at IWU for not going to Wabash. :) As for the other half, well no one can make the right choice all the time.

Ironically, my second choice was Wabash.  (Third was DePauw, but I knew nothing about the Monon Bell at the time, so don't hold that against me! :D)

And, for me, I think I made the right choice. ;)  (Though my wife was a student of mine when I was a TA at Michigan, so maybe my undergraduate choice didn't really matter - I would have thought wherever I went was the right choice! :P)

I do know that I was better prepared for grad school at probably the #1 sociology department in the country than most of my classmates, despite feeling rather insecure with my 'parochial' roots.  'Little schools' often rock! ;D