FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3viewer

He's a NJ native, so maybe the ole Garden State was callin'. With Avery gone probably saw this as a rebuilding year on offense and a good window to leave (not season time wise..but as far as the offense.) He's the only football coach I've ever read about that was a professional actor (for 5 years according to his bio). Maybe they have good community theater there. Think Sandy Lyle.

Bartman

Congrats to Liberty Leaguers  Chyron Brown-Wallace (Saints) and Marcus Jemison(Statesmen)  for being named to the D3Football.com All America team. Two excellent representatives. Can't wait to see the Saints and Statesman play this year.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

dlippiel

Quote from: Bartman on August 02, 2016, 10:25:28 AM
Congrats to Liberty Leaguers  Chyron Brown-Wallace (Saints) and Marcus Jemison(Statesmen)  for being named to the D3Football.com All America team. Two excellent representatives. Can't wait to see the Saints and Statesman play this year.

Absolutely! Congrats to both young men and dlip wishes you both all the best this season! Nice post Bartman! +k

Bartman

Just checked out some of the Hobart first year's....I was somewhat concerned about the Oline but I wonder if we can coach up these two guys...Elijah Weiss from Cicero, 6-2 and 340(Alex Bell type?) and Micah Holloway, 6-9 and 310( Center on BB team too??), from William Penn Charter...their HS films look encouraging , we sure could use some new NFL prospects :)...or just some more Bart Beef to clear the way and keep Sweeney safe......GO BART
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

D3viewer

Can any Hobart/Liberty fans fill me in on QB Shane Sweeney ? Brockport's opening with Hobart and I didn't really follow Hobart closely last season. I'm familiar with his background but was curious why he only played in 7 games last season ? Stats look good..etc.. but did he start late..get hurt ? I could look it up I guess but someone can probably answer easily.

D3pc

Quote from: D3viewer on August 04, 2016, 05:47:36 PM
Can any Hobart/Liberty fans fill me in on QB Shane Sweeney ? Brockport's opening with Hobart and I didn't really follow Hobart closely last season. I'm familiar with his background but was curious why he only played in 7 games last season ? Stats look good..etc.. but did he start late..get hurt ? I could look it up I guess but someone can probably answer easily.

I think Bartman or ITH would be more apt to tell you, but Sweeney battled injuries for the first part of the season. Very talented QB who transferred from Albany i believe. Could be a very different Hobart offense from previous years (big up front, ground and pound, play action), which could feature a very good air attack.

Bartman

Quote from: D3pc on August 04, 2016, 09:39:35 PM

I think Bartman or ITH would be more apt to tell you, but Sweeney battled injuries for the first part of the season. Very talented QB who transferred from Albany i believe. Could be a very different Hobart offense from previous years (big up front, ground and pound, play action), which could feature a very good air attack.
D3pc  gave a nice description( +k) as Shane is a local Geneva HS product that was heavily recruited and selected Albany, was redshirted, then there was a coaching change at Albany and he was a backup for his one year of eligibility ...he decided to transfer and he was luckily caught on the rebound by the Statesman. Last year was a great start at Dickinson and Endicott but he hurt his shoulder in the Endicott game. I think the Ithaca loss may have been different if Sweeney was able to play, but his injury kept him out for the next 3 games. He was really clicking in the last 3 games of the season against Union(52 points) a gutsy comeback win against St. Lawrence and a record setting 6 touchdowns passes at Rochester. He is tough, mobile and likes to play the hurry up if the game calls for it which threw the St. Lawrence Defense off from the usual Hobart pounding run game. Hobart should be one of the best offenses in the league if the Oline comes together as anticipated since Sweeney has strong leadership skills and is the kind of gritty local boy you root for with a strong arm and some talented receivers to throw to  this year( Sweeney to Shed could be scary for the long ball and Hobart is deep at TE /WR and have Barfield out of the backfield ) I am hopeful The Statesman will be back on top this year with a healthy Sweeney for the entire season
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

ITH radio

Quote from: Bartman on August 04, 2016, 11:55:30 PM
Quote from: D3pc on August 04, 2016, 09:39:35 PM

D3pc  gave a nice description( +k) as Shane is a local Geneva HS product that was heavily recruited and selected Albany, was redshirted, then there was a coaching change at Albany and he was a backup for his one year of eligibility ...he decided to transfer and he was luckily caught on the rebound by the Statesman. Last year was a great start at Dickinson and Endicott but he hurt his shoulder in the Endicott game. I think the Ithaca loss may have been different if Sweeney was able to play, but his injury kept him out for the next 3 games. He was really clicking in the last 3 games of the season against Union(52 points) a gutsy comeback win against St. Lawrence and a record setting 6 touchdowns passes at Rochester. He is tough, mobile and likes to play the hurry up if the game calls for it which threw the St. Lawrence Defense off from the usual Hobart pounding run game. Hobart should be one of the best offenses in the league if the Oline comes together as anticipated since Sweeney has strong leadership skills and is the kind of gritty local boy you root for with a strong arm and some talented receivers to throw to  this year( Sweeney to Shed could be scary for the long ball and Hobart is deep at TE /WR and have Barfield out of the backfield ) I am hopeful The Statesman will be back on top this year with a healthy Sweeney for the entire season

What he said.

Only thing I'll add is the key for Brockport will be to keep the Hobart DL and LBs honest as the OLBs and DBs make it very hard for opposing QBs to pass the ball. All eyes will be on Dan Andrews so I expect Coach David to mix a few different looks to confuse the OL and open gaps for blitzes.

Great matchup of solid run O vs a strong rush D.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

D3viewer

Thanks Bartman for that assessment and others. Brockport will be breaking in a new QB so Hobart will have an advantage in that dept. Also...since Brockport will obviously be featuring Andrews...Brockport is going to need to somehow get some passesl over the top of the D or attack the perimeter or downfield with playaction. Otherwise nothing will prevent the Bart D from just loading up the box. If Hobart does bring a lot of heat they will have to be careful because Andrews is dangerous in the screen game...if they bring too much heat and Brockport slips the ball out to Andrews there won't be much out there to prevent a big gain or TD.
Defensively, who knows what Brockport will trot out there...they are breaking in their 3rd D Coord in 5 years and probably their 4th scheme in the same time period. The new DC is respected, but Bport also lost their best defensive player to graduation (DL Bennett) and probably lost their best db as well.

Bartman

Wow , actual first game football talk. D3viewer, thanks for your perspective. I think this should be a great first test for both teams. I watched Brockport on the internet against SJF and Ithaca last year and they looked like a typical hard nosed E8 team, so Hobart will have to be ready for some hard hitting in the first game of the season. The coaches have a lot to do to prepare these teams in a few short weeks. This starts a home and away series for the 2 teams to start each season for the next 3 years. We will get to know each other, for sure.
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

dlippiel

Quote from: Bartman on August 03, 2016, 05:06:03 PM
Just checked out some of the Hobart first year's....I was somewhat concerned about the Oline but I wonder if we can coach up these two guys...Elijah Weiss from Cicero, 6-2 and 340(Alex Bell type?) and Micah Holloway, 6-9 and 310( Center on BB team too??), from William Penn Charter...their HS films look encouraging , we sure could use some new NFL prospects :)...or just some more Bart Beef to clear the way and keep Sweeney safe......GO BART

That's some great size Bartman (that's what she said!)! dlip looks forward to checking these two recruits out. Hopefully they can step up and help that line! 

Bartman

Quote from: dlip on August 06, 2016, 11:04:48 AM
Quote from: Bartman on August 03, 2016, 05:06:03 PM

That's some great size Bartman (that's what she said!)! dlip looks forward to checking these two recruits out. Hopefully they can step up and help that line!
Dlip, (+ k for following some Statesmen).... Size does matter but speed, power , footwork(especially for Rex Ryan)  and balance are also key factors....
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

UfanBill

With the new coaching staff at Union and the opener at Ithaca, I can't wait for the season to start. The 2016 Union roster has been posted: http://www.unionathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=football&; It includes 22 first years. I hope there are some good ones.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

dlippiel

Quote from: UfanBill on August 12, 2016, 01:51:08 PM
With the new coaching staff at Union and the opener at Ithaca, I can't wait for the season to start. The 2016 Union roster has been posted: http://www.unionathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=football&; It includes 22 first years. I hope there are some good ones.

It certainly is quite exciting Bill! I will be heading out to Ithaca for sure. You?

Bartman

I am starting to worry we won't find the additional LL football member to get a slot in the NCAA's unless RIT, Clarkson, Skidmore or Vassar start a team. RIT would be a perfect return to the gridiron . Hendrix brought their team back after a long interruption and they made the NCAA playoffs with quite a bit of positive vibe on campus. In fact, for many liberal arts colleges football can be a great way to get full payer males who want to play in college after the glory days of HS. D3 squads do not cut and it is an additional draw for some of these schools for male students that are happy for a small chance to play but be part of the experience...I think we need to encourage  one of these LL members or I think the playoff berth will be gone. Anyone hear anything?
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath