FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hazzben

Quote from: Schipper Strong on June 26, 2020, 03:40:46 AM
I hope for football with fans, as we all do, my concern is that because I am one of those rare Dutch fans that cheers a lot, they won't want me in the stands spewing germs with my cheers!  :o :o

Cheer spittle is the highest sign of support :D

Outside the Crate

The Univ of Mary Hardin Baylor vacates the 2018 football championship because of rules violations.  Their appeal of the decision was denied.  I said in an earlier posting that I had no sympathy for them.  The coach provided a star player with a car for goodness sakes.  Well it (the car) was used, the coach said.  The President thinks its an excessive penalty, and I'm sure most of their fans do, too.  UMHB plays the church bells awfully loud...  Think about this for a moment:  a coach in D3 provides a star player with an automobile -- both before he enrolls and for many months after.  Does one need a PhD and a big office to see how absolutely stupid and immoral that is?

Gray Fox

Quote from: Outside the Crate on June 27, 2020, 11:17:41 PM
The Univ of Mary Hardin Baylor vacates the 2018 football championship because of rules violations.  Their appeal of the decision was denied.  I said in an earlier posting that I had no sympathy for them.  The coach provided a star player with a car for goodness sakes.  Well it (the car) was used, the coach said.  The President thinks its an excessive penalty, and I'm sure most of their fans do, too.  UMHB plays the church bells awfully loud...  Think about this for a moment:  a coach in D3 provides a star player with an automobile -- both before he enrolls and for many months after.  Does one need a PhD and a big office to see how absolutely stupid and immoral that is?
+k
I'll give you another if you post the same thing on the American Southwest Conference board.
Fierce When Roused

jamtod

Quote from: Gray Fox on June 28, 2020, 11:55:39 AM
+k
I'll give you another if you post the same thing on the American Southwest Conference board.

+K all around and likewise.

Outside the Crate

I read the announcement this morning by Grinnell College.  All intercollegiate athletics in their fall term have been cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic.  I'm not particularly surprised.  They have so much money that they can do whatever they want without fear of lost revenue of any kind, including tuition.  In that regard they really are in a unique position -- probably in all of D3.

pioneer27

Grinnell's plan has very little to do with athletics and more to do with the plan for classes during the fall academic calendar.  Of  the 1700 students only 500 are allowed to be on campus (mostly first years) in the first quarter  and then ramped up to 750  students (250 additional) in the second quarter.  With those on-campus caps along with the mandatory testing for students and faculty/staff, the chance of athletics in the fall was always a long shot.  Most students in involved in those sports simply had no chance of being on campus in the fall.   

USee

Think about this for a moment:  a coach in D3 provides a star player with an automobile -- both before he enrolls and for many months after.  Does one need a PhD and a big office to see how absolutely stupid and immoral that is?

It's definitely against the rules and as such is pretty stupid. But immoral? If breaking an obvious rule is immoral, then yes, but the actual act of an adult loaning a college kid his car? That's pretty far from immoral.

BLynn

Quote from: USee on July 01, 2020, 04:52:35 PM
Think about this for a moment:  a coach in D3 provides a star player with an automobile -- both before he enrolls and for many months after.  Does one need a PhD and a big office to see how absolutely stupid and immoral that is?

It's definitely against the rules and as such is pretty stupid. But immoral? If breaking an obvious rule is immoral, then yes, but the actual act of an adult loaning a college kid his car? That's pretty far from immoral.

Loaning a car to a player to go pick his mom up at the airport is one thing; but a year and a half?  C'mon man!
No institutional control.  Shoulda been the death penalty

Gray Fox

Quote from: BLynn on July 01, 2020, 11:46:08 PM
Quote from: USee on July 01, 2020, 04:52:35 PM

Loaning a car to a player to go pick his mom up at the airport is one thing; but a year and a half?  C'mon man!
No institutional control.  Shoulda been the death penalty
What about paying a player to fix your broken computer?
Fierce When Roused

doolittledog

The OAC announces conference-only for football (and soccer, volleyball).

https://www.oac.org/MISC/COVID-19_2020/Fall_Sports_COVID_Response

Which means the Sept. 5th game at Marietta for Dubuque is now off.  Dubuque either plays a 9 game schedule this year or they pick up a 10th game somewhere, someway, somehow.
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Outside the Crate

Perhaps its just semantics, but morality, broadly defined, aims to distinguish right from wrong.  What the coach at UMHB did was clearly wrong, and I believe he's been around long enough to have known it.  His claim of ignorance borders on the ridiculous; heck, my poodle knows one can't give a used car to an incoming student-athlete!  Therefore, in my view, the coach behaved immorally.

Fannosaurus Rex

Since the American Rivers Conference has a team from Nebraska now we can talk about both the Iowa Derby and the Cornhusker Stakes to be run at Prairie Meadows tonight.  It will be tough to make money on the Iowa Derby with only 5 runners and the favorite, Sashashakemeup looks legit.  I will make a place bet on Acre and put him in an exacta with the favorite.  Most of the Cornhusker field looks like this should be about their last race except that all but one of them have been fixed so what else are they going to do?  Dunph looks to be the best of a field whose best days are behind them.  The big question is, if I have a mint julep while I watch the Kentucky Derby, what do I have while I watch the Iowa Derby?
"It ain't what ya do, it's the way how ya do it.  It ain't what ya eat, it's the way how ya chew it."  Little Richard

doolittledog

Quote from: Fannosaurus Rex on July 05, 2020, 03:16:29 PM
Since the American Rivers Conference has a team from Nebraska now we can talk about both the Iowa Derby and the Cornhusker Stakes to be run at Prairie Meadows tonight.  It will be tough to make money on the Iowa Derby with only 5 runners and the favorite, Sashashakemeup looks legit.  I will make a place bet on Acre and put him in an exacta with the favorite.  Most of the Cornhusker field looks like this should be about their last race except that all but one of them have been fixed so what else are they going to do?  Dunph looks to be the best of a field whose best days are behind them. The big question is, if I have a mint julep while I watch the Kentucky Derby, what do I have while I watch the Iowa Derby?

My vote would be for Cedar Ridge Bourbon, neat.  But judging from what I pick up in my ditch every weekend, if you want the typical Iowa alcoholic beverage you should go with Busch Light  ;)
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Gray Fox

Since the American Rivers Conference has a team from Nebraska now we can talk about both the Iowa Derby and the Cornhusker Stakes to be run at Prairie Meadows tonight.  It will be tough to make money on the Iowa Derby with only 5 runners and the favorite, Sashashakemeup looks legit.  I will make a place bet on Acre and put him in an exacta with the favorite.  Most of the Cornhusker field looks like this should be about their last race except that all but one of them have been fixed so what else are they going to do?  Dunph looks to be the best of a field whose best days are behind them.  The big question is, if I have a mint julep while I watch the Kentucky Derby, what do I have while I watch the Iowa Derby?
What about Night Ops?  Is he nominated for Breeders Cup?
Fierce When Roused

jamtod

Quote from: doolittledog on July 05, 2020, 03:34:22 PM
Since the American Rivers Conference has a team from Nebraska now we can talk about both the Iowa Derby and the Cornhusker Stakes to be run at Prairie Meadows tonight.  It will be tough to make money on the Iowa Derby with only 5 runners and the favorite, Sashashakemeup looks legit.  I will make a place bet on Acre and put him in an exacta with the favorite.  Most of the Cornhusker field looks like this should be about their last race except that all but one of them have been fixed so what else are they going to do?  Dunph looks to be the best of a field whose best days are behind them. The big question is, if I have a mint julep while I watch the Kentucky Derby, what do I have while I watch the Iowa Derby?

My vote would be for Cedar Ridge Bourbon, neat.  But judging from what I pick up in my ditch every weekend, if you want the typical Iowa alcoholic beverage you should go with Busch Light  ;)

I'd suggest Templeton Rye but my geographical origins and ancestry might be clouding my vision for a better option. I need to try the cedar ridge stuff as I've heard good things several times