FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Next Man Up

I've heard several times that due to their only loss of the season to Wheaton, North Central got the last available at-large bid to the 2019 playoffs. Based on that historical perspective, it appears the loser of next Saturday's war in Wheaton will have to run the table to even have a chance to make this year's playoffs. 

Yet a team that loses two non-conference games, including being eviscerated in one, can still qualify for the playoffs by winning the championship of the truly weak conference they play in while a one loss team that's one of the top 5-7 teams in the country might stay home. Heck, a team that loses 2 non-con games might even qualify should they lose a conference game and finish 7-3 but still win the conference title.  :o
Sorry, but it's just hard to understand.  ???
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

Don't surround yourself with yourself. 🧍🏼‍♂️(Yes)

lmitzel

Isn't this now the conversation that happens every year more than once? I understand the frustration, given that I probably would have been very upset had NCC not been that "last in, last standing" team from two years ago. But the thing that keeps being said every year is that Division III prioritizes access to championships, meaning auto bids over at larges. And barring a mass attitude change among the leaders of the colleges that make up D-III, that's not changing. And I don't think another playoff expansion would be a feasible answer to make up for it.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Gregory Sager

Quote from: lmitzel on September 13, 2021, 10:09:15 PM
Isn't this now the conversation that happens every year more than once? I understand the frustration, given that I probably would have been very upset had NCC not been that "last in, last standing" team from two years ago. But the thing that keeps being said every year is that Division III prioritizes access to championships, meaning auto bids over at larges. And barring a mass attitude change among the leaders of the colleges that make up D-III, that's not changing. And I don't think another playoff expansion would be a feasible answer to make up for it.

Exactly. I, too, understand the frustration, but I don't get why the reasoning is so hard for some people to understand. Prioritizing access to championships is the way that the NCAA operates, and that's never going to change.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Captain_Joe08

Quote from: Next Man Up on September 13, 2021, 09:58:11 PM
I've heard several times that due to their only loss of the season to Wheaton, North Central got the last available at-large bid to the 2019 playoffs. Based on that historical perspective, it appears the loser of next Saturday's war in Wheaton will have to run the table to even have a chance to make this year's playoffs. 

Yet a team that loses two non-conference games, including being eviscerated in one, can still qualify for the playoffs by winning the championship of the truly weak conference they play in while a one loss team that's one of the top 5-7 teams in the country might stay home. Heck, a team that loses 2 non-con games might even qualify should they lose a conference game and finish 7-3 but still win the conference title.  :o
Sorry, but it's just hard to understand.  ???

This convo again? I am sorry the NACC isn't the top tier conference  in football and our best team got drilled by NCC but sheesh all the teams go out there and play ball against whoever is against them. Do we wish to have the success that other leagues have in football? Absolutely.
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

WashedUpCard

Quote from: CardinalAlum on September 13, 2021, 09:43:08 AM
Bell week!  Each team has a game under their belts, and Wheaton had an extra week to prepare.  Hoping for the amazing game that it is setting up to be.  The two programs that have consistently been at the top of the conference and perennial top 10 nationally over the last however many years, going at it in week 1 of the CCIW slate.  Wheaton's outstanding defense will be much different than what the Cards saw this week.  Expecting a really physical game as always and a great showcase for D3 football!  I'm sure there will be more as the week goes on.  No SoDup or Wheaties stuff this week from me.  Two programs that respect each other and know each other well playing for the Bell, a top 3 ranking, a top regional seed and a jump on the CCIW conference race.

I agree 100%.  I was thinking this morning how fortunate we are to have "our team" playing in a game of this caliber.  This could be a game for the ages....

I went back and watched the broadcast of the Aurora game.  Excellent job, CardinalAlum!

CardinalAlum

Quote from: WashedUpCard on September 14, 2021, 09:29:02 AM
Bell week!  Each team has a game under their belts, and Wheaton had an extra week to prepare.  Hoping for the amazing game that it is setting up to be.  The two programs that have consistently been at the top of the conference and perennial top 10 nationally over the last however many years, going at it in week 1 of the CCIW slate.  Wheaton's outstanding defense will be much different than what the Cards saw this week.  Expecting a really physical game as always and a great showcase for D3 football!  I'm sure there will be more as the week goes on.  No SoDup or Wheaties stuff this week from me.  Two programs that respect each other and know each other well playing for the Bell, a top 3 ranking, a top regional seed and a jump on the CCIW conference race.

I agree 100%.  I was thinking this morning how fortunate we are to have "our team" playing in a game of this caliber.  This could be a game for the ages....

I went back and watched the broadcast of the Aurora game.  Excellent job, CardinalAlum!

I am not the broadcast guy.  I have a face for radio!
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

bleedpurple

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 13, 2021, 10:33:45 PM

Exactly. I, too, understand the frustration, but I don't get why the reasoning is so hard for some people to understand. Prioritizing access to championships is the way that the NCAA operates, and that's never going to change.

I see both sides of this. My team is one of the teams affected by this policy. And as great as it would be for my "rooting interests" to just have the best 32 teams named to the playoffs each year, I completely understand the NCAA's position as well. The romantic in me loves the fact that all qualifying conference winners get a shot in the playoffs. Those kids work really hard, too and to get to experience a playoff game and take a shot at "the big boys" is probably a highlight of their careers. Even if the game itself ends up being lopsided, the preparation and anticipation has to be a blast! I believe recruiting would be even more lopsided if the lesser conferences didn't get access to the playoffs.

And the practical side of me loves the response to the complaint of the teams left out, "Win your conference". Seriously, it really adds importance to the conference games. Let's face it, the potential playoff implications of the NCC/Wheaton game makes it even more fun, no?

WashedUpCard

Quote from: CardinalAlum on September 14, 2021, 09:52:35 AM

Huh. Sounds like I got some bad info!

New Tradition

;)
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

New Tradition

Hardly!  You're quite a dashing fellow!
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

CardinalAlum

Quote from: WashedUpCard on September 14, 2021, 09:55:33 AM

Huh. Sounds like I got some bad info!

New Tradition is your guy!
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

Gregory Sager

Quote from: bleedpurple on September 14, 2021, 09:54:40 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 13, 2021, 10:33:45 PM

I see both sides of this. My team is one of the teams affected by this policy. And as great as it would be for my "rooting interests" to just have the best 32 teams named to the playoffs each year, I completely understand the NCAA's position as well. The romantic in me loves the fact that all qualifying conference winners get a shot in the playoffs. Those kids work really hard, too and to get to experience a playoff game and take a shot at "the big boys" is probably a highlight of their careers. Even if the game itself ends up being lopsided, the preparation and anticipation has to be a blast!

Yes, and every year it's an opportunity, regardless of how long the odds, for Cinderella to try on the glass slipper. I think that first-round upset odds are longer in football than they are in some of the other D3 sports, but they exist, nevertheless. I know that I pointed out two days ago that the NACC almost always performs dismally in the first round, but what happened two years ago was an exciting exception to that. Johnnies fans are going to be sore at me for saying this, but I rooted like heck for Aurora to beat St. John's two years ago -- and not simply because, as a Bills fan, Don Beebe is one of my all-time-favorite NFL players. You're right, bleedpurple; those of us who are romantics find something to like about this system, and in my case I often find myself rooting for underdogs -- and in that game two years ago the heavy-underdog Spartans came pretty darned close to knocking off the mighty Johnnies.

To me, stuff like that is a big part of what makes the postseason in any sport fun.

Quote from: bleedpurple on September 14, 2021, 09:54:40 AMI believe recruiting would be even more lopsided if the lesser conferences didn't get access to the playoffs.

Truth.

Quote from: bleedpurple on September 14, 2021, 09:54:40 AMAnd the practical side of me loves the response to the complaint of the teams left out, "Win your conference". Seriously, it really adds importance to the conference games. Let's face it, the potential playoff implications of the NCC/Wheaton game makes it even more fun, no?

It's the creed cited by every college football fan, isn't it? Whenever a non-fan disparages college football, you hear the "win your conference" creed paraphrased as something like, "In our sport, every game you play is potentially a playoff game. The stakes are higher, because there's less room for error in terms of taking a loss than there is in other sports."

Complaining about a shortage of at-large bids seems like hedging one's bets in terms of buying into that college football creed.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

kiko

You want the other system for picking playoff teams?  It's called D1.

I don't think you want that other system.

CardinalAlum

USee

Quote from: CardinalAlum on September 15, 2021, 11:33:34 AM
Bell Week game preview is out...

https://northcentralcardinals.com/news/2021/9/15/week-2-football-preview-wheaton.aspx

MIAC Pickems has NCC as a 3.5pt favorite
OAC Pickems has NCC as a 6.5pt favorite

NCC has won 3x @Wheaton in 20 years with the last win in 2013.

It's heating up.