FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny Utah

Quote from: UfanBill on November 13, 2018, 04:05:41 PM
Quote from: ITH radio on November 13, 2018, 02:06:22 PM
LL awards came out:

https://libertyleagueathletics.com/news/2018/11/13/liberty-league-announces-2018-football-awards-and-all-league-teams.aspx

Not sure I agree on Gladney as OPOY and there are some guys up higher and lower than I would have picked, but I know there's an unspoken preference shown to SRs.

Anyway, congrats to all the kids on the list and to Coach I and the RPI staff on a great season.

A couple of comments on the Liberty League selections:  It's remarkable and surprising that QB Will Bellamy was named 1st team over returning stars Wahi Nabi and Ryan Hofmann. Bellamy came out firing from week one and his ability and composure was a very pleasant surprise to Union fans. RB Ike' Irabor also came from nowhere for the Dutchmen this season to a 1st team selection. He became a stallwart and seemed to get better each game. I also think statistics bear out that Andre Ross Jr. should have been Offensive POY. His 57/929/13 TDs exceeds Gladney's 54/634/6. Congrats for his ROY designation. 'Nuff said.
    Going into this season the one player that the Union offense was counting on was 2017 !st teamer WR Griffin Beal. Beal was overshadowed from the get go this season by sensational freshman Ross Jr. Initially he was the defensive focus which allowed Ross to excel. He was also banged up because he was used extensively for WR screens where he took a lot of hits. He wasn't the first option this year but still  had 49/659 5 TDs. Congratulations to Griffin Beal for being named 2nd team and he will be back next year.  Also congrats to 1st team selections LB Jack Reilly, the physical leader of the team. DB Tucker Newman and C Ryan Ehrets the leader of the young, improving O-line. 2nd team selections include  DL Dan Gioiso, LB Hunter Ordukhanyan, LB Colin Lama, DB Paul Chambers and P Will Halpin. Don't forget NT Bobby Law who was named Honorable Mention. All but three of these Union players are underclassmen. The future of Union football is bright. Thanks coach Jeff Behrman.
    Speaking of the future...Buffalo St, is joining the LL thus coming on the schedule next year. Look for Union to continue OOC games with Springfield and/or Coast Guard. in addition MIT and E8 neighbor Utica are in negotiation. Look for another E8 team also. Husson and Curry are off.

I was talking to an LL coach (not from Ithaca) and he told me that a healthy Gladney is easily the best player in the league, now I'm not sure that means he deserves the award just because there were some rainy games and he did miss 2 and was injured and had a back up quarterback in one or two of them, but that's just what I heard.

Nabi was ok this year, and it appears the Union qb was much more consistent.  Supposed about Ike Irabor, I coached against him in HS and he was good but I would never guess he could be this good as a freshman in college. 

Love the RPI returner, guy pretty much won the Ithaca game. 

ITH radio

Nabi was my preseason pick for LL OPOTY but his struggles with injuries (and INTs) held him back. Both Hofmann (who also struggled with injuries this year and missed a couple of games and limited his play in 2 others b/c of it) and Bellamy had better falls as QB.

I agree that Ross, Jr really was the best overall offensive player based on his statistics and impact alone. You could make an argument for Irabor too based on the 10 rushing TDs and leading the LL in rushing.

Davies won the game for RPI vs. Hobart too on the wildcat play. Heck of a weapon.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Bombers798891

Stray thoughts that aren't an attempt to justify the decision, but offer up a possibility as to why it was made:

1. In-Conference Games:
Gladney- 34 catches, 431 yards, 4 TD
Ross Jr- 26 catches, 310 yards, 5 TD

2. It is also worth noting that the write-up on Gladney on the LL site made specific reference to him "playing a number of games in challenging weather and field conditions".

I wonder if the voters put more emphasis on conference play than non-conference, and how much they factored in the weather conditions.

UfanBill

Even though a strong case can be made for Ross Jr. or Irabor to be the LL Offensive POY, it was Gladney that stepped up big time when Ithaca beat Union 24-0 week #7.   In that game Gladney caught 8 passes for 153 yards and 2 TDs... Ross Jr. had 4 catches for only 18 yards, no TDs. Union QB Will Bellamy also had 4 interceptions in that game, seemingly all in attempts to get Ross the ball. Kudos to Gladney and he can thank the Ithaca DBs. 
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 13, 2018, 05:00:11 PM
Stray thoughts that aren't an attempt to justify the decision, but offer up a possibility as to why it was made:

1. In-Conference Games:
Gladney- 34 catches, 431 yards, 4 TD
Ross Jr- 26 catches, 310 yards, 5 TD

2. It is also worth noting that the write-up on Gladney on the LL site made specific reference to him "playing a number of games in challenging weather and field conditions".

I wonder if the voters put more emphasis on conference play than non-conference, and how much they factored in the weather conditions.

Yea, if Ithaca's offense had to play Ithaca's defense instead of Union (and vise versa), Ross Jr. may have won the award hands down......

Bartman

Quote from: UfanBill on November 13, 2018, 04:05:41 PM
Quote from: ITH radio on November 13, 2018, 02:06:22 PM
LL awards came out:

https://libertyleagueathletics.com/news/2018/11/13/liberty-league-announces-2018-football-awards-and-all-league-teams.aspx

Not sure I agree on Gladney as OPOY and there are some guys up higher and lower than I would have picked, but I know there's an unspoken preference shown to SRs.

Anyway, congrats to all the kids on the list and to Coach I and the RPI staff on a great season.

A couple of comments on the Liberty League selections:  It's remarkable and surprising that QB Will Bellamy was named 1st team over returning stars Wahi Nabi and Ryan Hofmann. Bellamy came out firing from week one and his ability and composure was a very pleasant surprise to Union fans. RB Ike' Irabor also came from nowhere for the Dutchmen this season to a 1st team selection. He became a stallwart and seemed to get better each game. I also think statistics bear out that Andre Ross Jr. should have been Offensive POY. His 57/929/13 TDs exceeds Gladney's 54/634/6. Congrats for his ROY designation. 'Nuff said.
    Going into this season the one player that the Union offense was counting on was 2017 !st teamer WR Griffin Beal. Beal was overshadowed from the get go this season by sensational freshman Ross Jr. Initially he was the defensive focus which allowed Ross to excel. He was also banged up because he was used extensively for WR screens where he took a lot of hits. He wasn't the first option this year but still  had 49/659 5 TDs. Congratulations to Griffin Beal for being named 2nd team and he will be back next year.  Also congrats to 1st team selections LB Jack Reilly, the physical leader of the team. DB Tucker Newman and C Ryan Ehrets the leader of the young, improving O-line. 2nd team selections include  DL Dan Gioiso, LB Hunter Ordukhanyan, LB Colin Lama, DB Paul Chambers and P Will Halpin. Don't forget NT Bobby Law who was named Honorable Mention. All but three of these Union players are underclassmen. The future of Union football is bright. Thanks coach Jeff Behrman.
    Speaking of the future...Buffalo St, is joining the LL thus coming on the schedule next year. Look for Union to continue OOC games with Springfield and/or Coast Guard. in addition MIT and E8 neighbor Utica are in negotiation. Look for another E8 team also. Husson and Curry are off.

Congratulations to all the players that were recognized by the LL. As I checked out the statistical reasoning, it seemed clear to me that the committee selected based on the LL Performances, which is really the fairest way to go. If they had not, I would have argued that Hofmann was at least 2nd team QB, if not Ist Team. He had the highest QB rating(149.2 /44th in nation just above Bellamy for the full season....who he out dueled in the Union game) of any LL  QB,  and most yards per game . However Ryan only played in 7 games due to injury and missed the SLU and Rochester games, so only had 3 games in the LL(didn't even make the cut for the stats page as 4 games was the minimum). They probably noted this by at least giving him the Honorable Mention. Just imagine what his numbers would have been if he had played Rochester and SLU. I may be a shameless homer, but this was his first season as a starter following up on Sweeney's accomplishments, and I think he is the best passer in the LL going into next year , but will have to beat out the "wildcat like" QB with a shotgun arm in First-Year QB Krewson who had no problem filling in when Ryan was hurt.
Oh, and one more thing, Hobart was the #1 Offense in the LL  and only had 2 first team mentions( Ithaca -4 and Union-4), so I am not complaining, it just means we had a a great Offensive TEAM, although Hobart had the most selections at 18, Ithaca-17, RPI -15 ,Union -12, SLU-5 and Rochester -3.
  Thanks to all the Seniors in the LL for a great season, and I look forward to the returning palyers on this list and for all of the performances that will bring new talent on this list in 2019. GOBART and GO LL.
  Lastly, RPI, you are representing us, so please get back on track for the Playoffs  ;D

"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Oline89

Great chance this weekend for LL to show some OOC dominance.  On the turf at Cornell, I see Ith winning big 28-7.  I also think RPI gets out from under the punishing defenses of the LL, win 28-14.  Meanwhile Hobart floundered in its chance to play in the NY State Bowl (which I assume is now dead after a grand total of one game), maybe I will head to Giants Stadium and check out Hobart alum Ali Marpet and the visiting TB Bucs.

Bombers798891

Quote from: Bartman on November 14, 2018, 10:27:05 AM

As I checked out the statistical reasoning, it seemed clear to me that the committee selected based on the LL Performances, which is really the fairest way to go.

I really hope this isn't the case. Tossing out 4-5 games worth of information seems unwise. I could see weighing those games more heavily, but I hope the OOC games counted for something.

But it really is the only thing that makes sense to me regarding OPOY

south hill observer

Quote from: Oline89 on November 14, 2018, 11:02:08 AM
Great chance this weekend for LL to show some OOC dominance.  On the turf at Cornell, I see Ith winning big 28-7.  I also think RPI gets out from under the punishing defenses of the LL, win 28-14.  Meanwhile Hobart floundered in its chance to play in the NY State Bowl (which I assume is now dead after a grand total of one game), maybe I will head to Giants Stadium and check out Hobart alum Ali Marpet and the visiting TB Bucs.
[/qu

I see Ithaca winning 17-9 as I think Utica is better than people think. I agree with you on RPI and I think they get smoked 45-7 against Brockport in 2nd round. Brockport has the best run defense in the country and RPI has to establish the run in order to effectively throw the ball. That spells DOOM for RPI. It does seem the NYS bowl is dead after 1 year and I think that's a shame for the student athletes. 

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 14, 2018, 12:16:33 PM

As I checked out the statistical reasoning, it seemed clear to me that the committee selected based on the LL Performances, which is really the fairest way to go.

I really hope this isn't the case. Tossing out 4-5 games worth of information seems unwise. I could see weighing those games more heavily, but I hope the OOC games counted for something.

Well I think they "count" more because the coaches actually see them live, which is the best way to evaluate someone.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Jonny Utah on November 14, 2018, 12:55:44 PM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 14, 2018, 12:16:33 PM

Well I think they "count" more because the coaches actually see them live, which is the best way to evaluate someone.

Besides it is a conference award.  I would think all conferences would count only conference games.

Bombers798891

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 14, 2018, 01:07:13 PM

Besides it is a conference award.  I would think all conferences would count only conference games.

I've never seen an award narrowly defined like that.

That also would make Nabi's selection even more puzzling, since that means he missed 20% of the relevant games, and failed to throw a touchdown pass in 60% of them.

Oline89

Quote from: south hill observer on November 14, 2018, 12:34:55 PM
[/qu

I see Ithaca winning 17-9 as I think Utica is better than people think. I agree with you on RPI and I think they get smoked 45-7 against Brockport in 2nd round. Brockport has the best run defense in the country and RPI has to establish the run in order to effectively throw the ball. That spells DOOM for RPI. It does seem the NYS bowl is dead after 1 year and I think that's a shame for the student athletes.

As so many others have stated, it was doomed from it's inception, and particularly after allowing Ithaca to skip the game last year and play in the ECAC.  Believe me I understand not wanting to play Cortica II, but once the precedent is set that teams can opt out at will, then chaos takes over.  Maybe a LL/NJAC bowl has a better chance?  With close to zero chance of a 2nd team making the NCAA from LL/E8, I really thought this would this game would be great for all the student athletes.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Oline89 on November 14, 2018, 02:11:31 PM
Quote from: south hill observer on November 14, 2018, 12:34:55 PM
[/qu

As so many others have stated, it was doomed from it's inception, and particularly after allowing Ithaca to skip the game last year and play in the ECAC.  Believe me I understand not wanting to play Cortica II, but once the precedent is set that teams can opt out at will, then chaos takes over.  Maybe a LL/NJAC bowl has a better chance?  With close to zero chance of a 2nd team making the NCAA from LL/E8, I really thought this would this game would be great for all the student athletes.

I think the ECAC's are fine.  The only problem is that Hobart doesn't want to be a member.  I'm not sure if that means they can't pay to be in one of the games or not though?  And I'm still fuzzy as to why they aren't in the ECAC, I had heard from a former Hobart guy that there was an issue with an ECAC run hockey or lacrosse league and that Hobart was just done with them after some bad blood.  I could be wrong though. 

ITH radio

My understanding was it was a financial decision to not use their officials and pay for other services. The last ECAC bowl they played in was in 2003, they passed on one in 93 bc it was the same weekend of final exams.

I can't really speak to the hockey situation, other than they obviously left the ECAC West conf which is now defunct. Hobart's hockey team is in the NEHC while the WS team is in the UCHC.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle