FB: Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Adam Sayer, December 24, 2006, 10:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Murry

Hello All,

While I will be following from afar WashU's efforts against North Central Saturday, it won't be idle following.

I will be in the midst of my Rett Gets Rocked 2023 24-hour ultramarathon at WashU to raise awareness of Rett syndrome and research funds to find a cure.  I'm starting around 8:00 Friday night (after I provide the call for the WashU-Saint Louis U. swimming and diving meet), and ending at 8:00 Saturday night. 

Rett syndrome is a neurological disorder caused by a gene mutation on the X chromosome.  It lays in the weeds until a child is between 6-18 months old, just when a child is learning to walk and talk.  Rett is like Lucy in the Peanuts comic strip when she pulls the ball away from Charlie Brown, as he tries to kick it.  Unlike Charlie Brown...when Rett pulls the ball away from children, they don't get a chance to get up and try again.  Children go into severe neurological regression; many end up in wheelchairs and most lose the ability to talk and to do sign language.  Those with Rett also are prone to seizures, extreme nerve pain, GI issues, breathing abnormalities, and eating difficulties that can all be life-threatening.

Researchers are relentless, providing hope on two fronts.  Back in March of this year, Daybue became the first FDA-approved drug to target the effects of Rett syndrome.  Daybue helps blunt some of the seizures and has helped improve some vocal and gross motor skills.  Gene replacement therapy clinical trials in two North American locations have helped one patient sit up independently for the first time in a decade, and to grasp objects for the first time since infancy.

It is this momentum of hope and progress that I am trying to assist and perpetuate.

If you would like to make a donation, click on this Rett Racers link:  https://rettracers.funraise.org/fundraiser/jaymurry

The families of children who have Rett and fight a tough fight every day, will be very grateful for your help.

Thank you for your time and consideration, and enjoy the games this weekend!

dc_has_been

Quote from: 70_dc_alum on October 16, 2023, 04:09:05 PM
Quote from: Darryl Nester on October 13, 2023, 02:39:34 PM
Quote from: GrizFan on October 07, 2023, 03:12:22 PM
Quote from: dc_has_been on October 05, 2023, 10:48:43 AM
It seems to be the right move for Defiance due to all the current issues they are dealing with (i.e., accreditation, enrollment, and so on).  Hopefully, this changes their trajectory as an academic institution.

Schools with enrollment and financial issues do NOT makes moves which drastically increase their costs.  Schools tend to move from D2 or NAIA to D3 when they need to cut costs or if they have financial issues.  Defiance has accreditation, enrollment and financial issues.  Now they have to find a way to fund 36 full ride football scholarships plus hundreds of other scholarships just to be competitive.  Moving to D2 may gain prestige but NOT a move to a less prestigious NAIA.  Just ask Thomas More!  Big mistake!

I don't have any additional input about what they will have to spend scholarship-wise in order to be competitive, but at the recent HCAC administrative meeting*, their AD summarized what they had considered in making the decision, and one expected benefit of the move is a considerably reduced travel budget: They will be near the geographic center of their new conference (the WHAC), with their maximum travel time in the neighborhood of three hours—so no overnight stays for conference play. (And as a side benefit, less missed class time.)

Regarding the NAIA being less prestigious, I don't disagree. I recall when Bluffton, Defiance, and other members of the old HBCC made the transition from NAIA to NCAA D3 thirty-plus years ago, and how not long after that, the NCAA had to put a pause on letting in NAIA schools.

*I cannot share everything that was said in that meeting, of course, but this particular item did not feel confidential.

they have stated the less travel expense as a key reason in the announcements they put out explaining the move.  Reality is only Hanover and Transylvania are the only 2 overnights that you have to do as MSJ is right at 3hrs. The new conference for football has Olivet Nazarene, Judson, St Francis IL all over in the Chicago Area which is about 4hrs.  Its not really a factor for football but all of the other sports I can see how this will be a lot better.   

When it comes to Scholarships, in one of the letter's they send out  I think it said they will be giving out close the same grant money as before but now it can be packaged up differently so their costs do not increase but they have a lot more flexibility on how to give it out.   if done correctly i can see how this can be leveraged to increase enrollment.  hand out a bunch of partial athletic scholarships to folks that may not have qualified for needs/merit grants before.  Spend the same amount but spread the wealth and get more to attend. 

Will be interesting to see how this all pans out.  I have no idea who I am supposed to hate now that its all new teams.  I am going with disliking Sienna Heights just cause they are in Adrian.  Either way that game for the Hammer this year with Bluffton will be huge and could determine who owns the hammer forever!

All in all, it is disappointing to see all the transition that DC has gone through since I attended (97-00).  Went from the MIAA to HCAC and now to NAIA.  I really hope this solves some of their issues moving forward and helps them from not shutting down. 

Regarding who to dislike, I will go with St. Francis due to their proximity, having a DC alum as a coach, and we scrimmage them when I played at DC.
"If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."
Will Rogers
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."
Mike Ditka

GrizFan

Hey 70_dc_alum:

Speaking about owning a trophy forever - when I was a student at Franklin, we were in the "old" Heartland Conference in NCAA D2.  We did not play Hanover in football so the Victory Bell sat in the library and no one knew the history of the rivalry.  Our football rivals at the time were Butler and Indiana Central (now UIndy).  The bell literally sat in Franklin's Hamilton Library gathering dust from 1970-1989!       

FCGrizzliesGrad

MSJ gave Wheaton a heck of a game but fell 41-34.

The only playoff wins for the HCAC remains: 2000 (Hanover), 2008 x2(Franklin), 2011 (Franklin), 2012 (Franklin), 2013 (Franklin)
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer