FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigma one

I think Wally is correct about institutional size.  One note about the open-to-all fitness center at Wabash is that it mixes the intercollegiate athletes and all others who use the center.   When the indoor athletic facilities were redone about 10 years ago there was a pretty prolonged discussion about whether to "give" athletes a separate space.  Both money and philosophy of how students should interact said no.
     One thought about the open-to-all fitness center is that it obviously mixes all types of people.  Generally speaking, intercollegiate athletes tend not to see themselves as special, and others using the facility tend not to look at them as requiring special treatment. On a small campus this can be important.  The mixing also tends, I believe, to have something to do with the way the Wabash student body supports intercollegiate teams.  Anyone who has been to Wabash knows about that support, which is quite diffferent from what happens on many campuses.    And since faculty and staff also share the space, there is plenty of interaction with and observation of varsity athletes while they train-- and a lot of conversation.  The fact that Wabash is all male also helps create bonds, of course, and even sometimes a kind of (unfortunate) arrogance that contributes to student backing of athletes.  But the fitness center plays a huge role in the way the campus parts contribute to a support for teams.

firstdown

The injury to Kevin Ware in the Louisville - Duke game on Sunday certainly terrible.  Kevin was lucky that, if he had to sustain such an injury, he was in Indianapolis.  As a result of the motor sports in the area, Indianapolis has developed top notch trauma and emergrncy care.  Also, with the City's focus on amateur sports since the 1980's, Indianapolis has developed some the best sports medicine and orthopedic care in the world.  Kevin benefitted from both the trauma care in place at Lucas Oil Stadium and from the orthopedic care at IU Methodist Hospital.  There were photos in the newspaper of him up and walking on crutches already.  Hopefully with good rehab, Kevin will attain a full recovery.  When CP Porter was injured last fall, and other Wabash players sustain injuries, they have access to the same high quality care.  Wabash is fortunate to have Dr Shelbourne and his Sports Medicine Group providing world class care to its athletes.

DadofBashWarrior..

Zoeller hired to coach quarterbacks at Witt

wally_wabash

Dog days of the offseason, am I right?  Here's something for you guys to chew on.  I heard some whispers about this back in November, but this is the first quasi-official thing I've been able to find on it.  I would presume a return date in 2015 is happening, but calendars don't stretch quite that far yet. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

sigma one

That's accurate.  2014 and 2015.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: wally_wabash on April 16, 2013, 04:24:43 PM
Dog days of the offseason, am I right?  Here's something for you guys to chew on.  I heard some whispers about this back in November, but this is the first quasi-official thing I've been able to find on it.  I would presume a return date in 2015 is happening, but calendars don't stretch quite that far yet.
Quote from: sigma one on April 16, 2013, 08:03:15 PM

That's great news.  I find that I have almost nothing by which to gauge ODAC football, as they seem to rarely play teams I know anything about.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 16, 2013, 08:57:27 PM

That's great news.  I find that I have almost nothing by which to gauge ODAC football, as they seem to rarely play teams I know anything about.

It should be a fun series.  There are the obvious ties between Wabash and Hampden-Sydney which make the matchup fun, but beyond that you're getting two of the better teams from leagues and geographic regions that usually don't intersect, which is always good.  And the game is regional, so it counts in the primary selection/seeding criteria.  And the game happens in week 1, so Wabash (finally) will start their season with everybody else.  I'm pretty fired up about this home-and-home.  Kudos to everybody that helped make this happen. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

ohiofan1954

Two questions. Does anyone know when the ncac will be releasing the 2013 football schedule? A few of the schools have already done so but not all. Second question for owu fans. The bishop website shows the starting time for the denison game at 7pm but denison shows it as 1pm, which is correct? I am assuming it is the owu site but we all know what assumption is the mother of.

ohiofan1954

Well on checking further it would appear the only ohio school that hasn't posted is Hiram. It shouldn't be hard to put together a conference schedule for them. It is my goal to visit every ohio school( and a few in other states) that plays varsity football at least once. Hiram and Oberlin are the only ncac schools left on my list I haven't been too yet.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wally_wabash

Quote from: davepi2 on April 20, 2013, 07:09:27 AM
Well on checking further it would appear the only ohio school that hasn't posted is Hiram. It shouldn't be hard to put together a conference schedule for them. It is my goal to visit every ohio school( and a few in other states) that plays varsity football at least once. Hiram and Oberlin are the only ncac schools left on my list I haven't been too yet.

The NCAC is also pretty good about posting future schedules on their website.  They don't have the non-league games posted (for the most part), but they do have dates and locations for league games through 2014 for your long-term planning needs. 

smedindy

Quote from: wally_wabash on April 17, 2013, 10:21:12 AM

It should be a fun series.  There are the obvious ties between Wabash and Hampden-Sydney which make the matchup fun, but beyond that you're getting two of the better teams from leagues and geographic regions that usually don't intersect, which is always good.  And the game is regional, so it counts in the primary selection/seeding criteria.  And the game happens in week 1, so Wabash (finally) will start their season with everybody else.  I'm pretty fired up about this home-and-home.  Kudos to everybody that helped make this happen.

Late to the party. Finally landed where my new job is (at Central Washington U. in Ellensburg, a D2 school).

So would Wabash have its off week on Week 2 then?

wally_wabash

Quote from: smedindy on April 26, 2013, 09:14:24 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on April 17, 2013, 10:21:12 AM

Late to the party. Finally landed where my new job is (at Central Washington U. in Ellensburg, a D2 school).

So would Wabash have its off week on Week 2 then?

Correct.  The future schedule on Wabash's website has listed a TBD opponent on 9/6/2014 for quite sometime now, so the prospect of playing week 1 and being off week 2 has been teased for a while.  Now we know for sure that this is happening and who Wabash will play in that week 1 game. 

wabco

Wabash verses Hampton Sydney ..... the REAL Stagg Bowl.  ;D

ADL70

Quote from: wabco on May 01, 2013, 02:58:10 PM
Wabash verses Hampton Sydney ..... the REAL Stagg Bowl.  ;D

1 g plz
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite