FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

It's 11,000-something and was 1997. But yes.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

old wabash

no monon bell game ever beat that? ???
i thought i was at a bell game where there was 14,000!

formerd3db

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 15, 2013, 03:45:36 PM
It's 11,000-something and was 1997. But yes.

To be exact, the game was played on January 29, 1997 (not 2000 as I originally mentioned - the latter that I had actually recalled was from a magazine in 2000 that talked about the game) at Van Andel Arena in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan.  Hope won the game 70-56 and the official attendance recorded was a capacity crowd of 11, 442.  However, people who I have talked to who attended the game and are knowlegable sources said there was closer to, if not, 12,000 people in the building as it was standing room only and that despite the usual capacity limits for a building of such in any city.

Also, for "exactness", while Hope's DeVos Fieldhouse official capacity was originally listed as 3,400 for basketball, Hope often gets more than that for games; for example, the Hope/Calvin game there this year last month on Feb 9th drew some 3,675.  As I also mentioned, the Hope/Calvin game at Calvin's Van Noord Arena this year for the championship a couple of weeks ago had 4,293 people in attendance.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: old wabash on March 15, 2013, 04:10:30 PM

Former was talking basketball attendance record.

My guess on the football attendance record would be a Monon Bell game, a Tommies at Johnnies game, or an Amherst/Williams game - I don't know.

formerd3db

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 15, 2013, 09:49:02 PM

My guess on the football attendance record would be a Monon Bell game, a Tommies at Johnnies game, or an Amherst/Williams game - I don't know.

Yes, I was discussing attendance for basketball in a tangential discussion with the Oberlin posters here, so my apologies for doing that here on the football boards...plus, Calvin does not have football (yet ;D ::) :P :D :)).  Nonetheless, I, too, thought that the Monon Bell game had drawn over 12,000 at least once.  However, according to the Monon Bell page on Wabash's football website, the record attendance for that game was set in 2010 with 11,743, beating the two previous records of 11,669 in 2006 and 11,504 before that in 2004.  Those totals are at Hollett Stadium on Wabash's campus, while at Blackstock Stadium at DePauw, the high attendance is over 8,000 for the games according to the website.

Mr. Ypsi, some of us were discussing the highest attended football rivalry games at the end of this last season - I don't recall right off hand which board exactly or exactly which game was the highest, without going back and checking.  That said, I think that the highest was the St. Thomas/St. John's game around 14 or 16,000 and the Ithaca/Cortland State game has had over 12,000 on an occasion and there may have been the Williams/Amherst game also as you mentioned.  We could check those websites to find out the exact total just for the sake of being "exact"! ;D ;) ::) :)
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: formerd3db on March 15, 2013, 10:08:03 PM

Yes, I was discussing attendance for basketball in a tangential discussion with the Oberlin posters here, so my apologies for doing that here on the football boards...plus, Calvin does not have football (yet ;D ::) :P :D :)).  Nonetheless, I, too, thought that the Monon Bell game had drawn over 12,000 at least once.  However, according to the Monon Bell page on Wabash's football website, the record attendance for that game was set in 2010 with 11,743, beating the two previous records of 11,669 in 2006 and 11,504 before that in 2004.  Those totals are at Hollett Stadium on Wabash's campus, while at Blackstock Stadium at DePauw, the high attendance is over 8,000 for the games according to the website.

Mr. Ypsi, some of us were discussing the highest attended football rivalry games at the end of this last season - I don't recall right off hand which board exactly or exactly which game was the highest, without going back and checking.  That said, I think that the highest was the St. Thomas/St. John's game around 14 or 16,000 and the Ithaca/Cortland State game has had over 12,000 on an occasion and there may have been the Williams/Amherst game also as you mentioned.  We could check those websites to find out the exact total just for the sake of being "exact"! ;D ;) ::) :)

I DID think of a Cortaca Jug game, but wasn't sure either stadium could hold that many. ;)  And from the sound of their discussions, half the spectators would have passed out by halftime anyway! ;D

I'm betting on a Tommies @ Johnies game, but I'll leave it to Pat (or someone) to settle the issue.

formerd3db

Okay, Mr. Ypsi, my friend.  Since I had nothing better to do tonight (as I am recovering from a severe sinus infection this week), I went ahead and checked out some of those #s we were talking about for single game football attendance:

1) St. Thomas/St. Johns this past year 2012...attendance 14,286 (10,421 in 2011)

2) Ithaca/Cortland State ...attendance in 2010 was 10,300 (7,635 in 2012 and 9,700 in 2011)

3) Williams/Amherst attendance in 2012 was 10,125 (and 8,914 in 20011)

4) Hampden Sydney/Randolf Macon attendance in 2012 was 11,048

St. John's has many 9,000-10,000 in game attendance for home games in recent years.

Anyway, not bad for DIII for some of these annual rivalry games.  Outdraws some of the FCS teams (and some of the FBS MAC teams as we've discussed- I won't mention some of those latter, but you and I know what school(s) we are talking about! ;D :o ::) :D ;) :))

Mr. Ypsi

So, tentatively, we have:

1.  Tommies @ Johnnies
2.  Monon Bell
3.  HSC/RMC
4.  Cortaca Jug
5.  Williams/Amherst

Gonna need Pat (or some other d3 historian) to sort this out! 8-)

old wabash

oops, got so carried away by numbers, i lost track of the sport!!

formerd3db

Quote from: old wabash on March 16, 2013, 09:46:25 AM

oops, got so carried away by numbers, i lost track of the sport!!

No problem, Old Wabash.  I've been there myself!  Anyway, it is always fun "playing the numbers game", especially in the off-season - got to have something to talk about.  :)

Speaking of #s - and again I apoloize for discussing this here on the football board and...since we had the Williams/Amherst football attendance mentioned in the above posts- but I saw last evening where the NCAA DIII women's basketball championship tourney at Hope that both Williams and Amherst lost their semi-final games.  It would have been neat to see at Williams/Amherst final, although it is just neat to see a "mid-west" final with UW-W against DePauw.

The attendance at both semi-final games was not the greatest - DeVos was about 1/2 full for both games (about 1111 for one and 1298 for the other semi-final), although I guess that kind of attendance for the women's championship is having is pretty good and what can be expected when teams that make the final four have to travel that far to the championship site.  Yet there could possibly be more in attendance tonight for the final since it is UW-W and DePauw.  Obviously, had it been a Williams/Amherst final played at a site out east (like Springfield, MA, etc.), there probably would be really big attendance for that game.  Nonetheless, DeVos is a great facility to hold it, although I suspect the NCAA will move the tourney to another site in its rotation as they eventually do. Also, in that regard, I didn't realize they moved the men's final four to Atlanta this year - anyone know why they decided to do that and why there?  Admittedly, I don't follow the DIII basketball as much as the football here.

Anyway, those were just some interesting thoughts...I thought. ;D   

sigma one

Both Wabash and DePauw bring in extra seating for Monon Bell Games.  Due to the configurations of the two stadiums Wabash is able to add more seats to Hollett Little Giant Stadium.  This accounts for most of the difference in attendance when the games are played in Crawfordville. This year in Crawfordsville attendance was down in large part because DePauw did not come remotely close to selling their tickets, and Wabash did not sell out its quota.  When the game began, I estimate that on the DePauw side of the stadium there were fewer than 1000 fans.  That's what a couple of severe beatings in the two previous years and the prospect of another Wabash thrashing did to the numbers of what is a lukewarm fan base of the Tigers.
     The DPU student body has never been a big supporter of Tiger football--or of any sport that I can tell.  Those numbers over 10,000 in C'ville on numerous occasions are achieved with a Wabash student body of around 900.  Every Wabash fan I have spoken to since the hiring of Bill Lynch hopes that he will bring the Tigers back to greater competitiveness in the Bell Game. Wabash wants to win all the Bell Games, but not at the expense of falling attendance.  The DPU attendance this year was actually a bit embarrassing.
     For the many of you who have not seen a Monon Bell Game . . .About a decade ago with the rivalry close to getting out of hand, fans fighting, etc., the schools decided to impose greater security.  DPU Tickets are printed in gold; Wabash tickets are printed in red.  Gold gets a fan into the DPU side of the stadium, Red into the Wabash side.  The two sides are separated by fencing and security officers, and fans cannot move for one side to the other.  Some fans with roots in both schools buy both gold and red tickets so that they can change at half time.  Also, once a fan leaves the stadium s/he cannot reenter without a new ticket:  No pass outs.  A few fans buy multiple tickets to be able to leave and come back.
     As time passes, the relations have moderated somewhat, but the student bodies remain hostile .  Tailgating is open to both fan bases.  This year DePauw even tried to steal the Bell.  There has not been a successful theft on either side since the late 1990s when Wabash students returned to C'ville several weeks before the game having taken the Bell from its location in the DPU athletic center.  Other, earlier Bell thefts are part of the lore of the rivalry.  Ask a Wabash fan sometime about the "Frijoles" theft of 1966; most of them know the story and would be happy to tell it.  (Among other reasons for fewer attempts has been an increasing movement toward legal action for property damage, breaking and entering, and theft--and students have occasionally ended up in jail for short periods.  Ah, modern life.)
     When does the playing season start?

Pat Coleman

... with the usual caveats abut the value of attendance figures in Division III:

http://www.d3football.com/notables/2011/02/sju-leads-2010-attendance
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

sigma one

Yep.  There's counting and there's counting, ticket sales and fannies in the seat.  Spectators on the hill, watching out of residence hall windows--or imagined to be.

ohiofan1954

sorry if this has been covered before but I have just noticed that wittenberg opens the 2013 season with fcs butler. Good luck tigers, would be great for the entire league to come through with the win.

wally_wabash

Quote from: davepi2 on March 17, 2013, 08:20:35 PM
sorry if this has been covered before but I have just noticed that wittenberg opens the 2013 season with fcs butler. Good luck tigers, would be great for the entire league to come through with the win.

See that's the thing...it's NOT good for the entire league.  Nobody else gets even tangential benefit from Wittenberg beating Butler, which won't happen anyway.  The NCAA doesn't recognize that game as ever having happened for SOS or any other selection/seeding purposes.  Aside from the novelty and curiosity of it being a D3 vs. FCS game, it's a total throwaway.
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire