FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPECIAL TEAMS STARTER and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

hazzben

Quote from: RFMichigan on November 19, 2012, 05:03:23 PM
     I realize that this is going to be lost in the wake of the announcement of the retirement of Coach Gagliardi, but I wanted to get it out there.

I want to congratulate Bethel on their win on Saturday against Concordia and wish them the best of luck in their game against UW-Oshkosh.

The Royals' strong, physical play on defense was truly impressive, and I was especially impressed by the speed and persuit of their linebackers and defensive backs in flowing to the ball. CUC's Maddox was never able to get to the second level on running plays and their wide receivers could never get much YAC, and that was due to their excellent team defense.

#5 (LB) - truly a stud. The NAC just doesn't have anyone like him who combines good size with athleticism, a nose for the ball, and great instincts for the position. And the catch by Holm...(?). Should be a SportsCenter top 10 play.

All in all, a great college football game. I was disappointed that Concordia lost, but the fact that they lost to a team that played football with class and toughness takes a little bit of the sting away. (But not much :'()

Again, good luck, good health, and blessings in your game against Oshkosh.

Class post. And I was impressed by CUC as well. Your skill position players impressed me and you had a safety and LB who came to play on Saturday.

And yes, Seth Mathis is a stud. I don't say the following lightly. Watching the game and Mathis make play after play after play, I kept thinking, is he the best defender Bethel has ever had? He's something like 35 tackles away from the career record (Tangent: Former & current Bethel SID's, thank you for using the modern formula for tracking tackle stats. Solo tackle = 1; Assist = .5. SOOOO much more accurate than the inflated stats many schools and conferences (cough...IIAC...cough) use. Whenever I hear about a LB with 400 career tackles I want to scream. There's a world of difference between a solo and an assist. Good LB's get both, but a guy with 150 career solo tackles and 100 assists gets 200 career tackles in the better stat system. Another guys gets 150 assists and 75 solo in the antiquated one and ends his career with 225...right  ::) #endrant) so obviously he's in the conversation.

After Saturday, and the momentum had been building in my mind, I think he's the best we've ever had, even if his career ended today. His size, physicality, instincts and speed are unmatched in the MIAC. And that's not just homer talk. Several MIAC coaches have expressed to Coach J they think Mathis is the best player in the league. He is just a talent. It's been a pleasure to watch him play and I can't believe he has another year left!! And he plays with a great group in Skoog, Duppenthaler and Smith. This defense as a whole isn't as our best, top to bottom (which isn't a knock, we've had some great ones). But this LB crew is as good as any we've ever had.

sju#57

Haven't posted in quite awhile......Yea, Duff....seemed like a punch in the gut when I read it last nite.  I almost think it would have been easier to deal with if John had died...there would be closure.  This just doesn't feel right at all, going out this way with the way it ended.  But I have to thank John for all he did, as great a coach of football as he was, he was a greater coach of life.

If any good is to come of this, I think SJU has seen that Jimmy is NOT the future of this program.   Im torn between starting with a clean slate and getting a great coach with no ties to the program or going after Mike Grant.  Mike was the Off-cor. for 1 of my yrs and he is also a great coach and would  have instant name recognition with HS players in the state.   I think Jerry may think of retireing as D-cor. and stick with baseball.

Who knows at this point,  just a sad day even though we all knew it was coming.... :'(
"Make sure the juice is worth the squeeze."

Pat Coleman

Regardless of what calculation schools use for their tackles, hazzben, when we're deciding Team of the Week and All-Americans, I promise you we are looking at assisted tackles as .5. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hazzben

Quote from: sjusection105 on November 19, 2012, 09:15:52 PM
Quote from: sju56321 on November 19, 2012, 08:24:12 PM
Not Fasching-with that defense.
Last week I watched the "409Game" vs. Bethel again- I forgot what beasts the defense had like McCambridge,Hood,Weinandt. Speed,quickness and the ability to create chaos. The coaching staff didn't forget how to coach,but the recruiting process has fallen off dramatically- they simply are not getting the high caliber players that came to SJU in years past. The reserves in 2003 would,most likely, have been runners-up in the MIAC- although Bethel would have had something to say about it- the team had so much depth and versatility on both sides of the ball.

Yeah, we would! Shoot, put reserves in at two positions (QB and WR #2), much less every position, and we win the MIAC. And what happens in the '409Game' if Kirchoff doesn't get carted off after scoring the go ahead TD? Talk about sucking the wind our of our sails at a critical point in the game. If's and but's I know. You guys won an epic game. But to even imply that your reserves could have beat that 2003 Bethel team is lunacy.

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 20, 2012, 10:44:25 AM
Regardless of what calculation schools use for their tackles, hazzben, when we're deciding Team of the Week and All-Americans, I promise you we are looking at assisted tackles as .5. :)

Good to hear Pat. I expected nothing less from you guys.

AO

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 20, 2012, 10:32:08 AM
Quote from: ron doney on November 20, 2012, 08:52:57 AM
Quote from: DuffMan on November 20, 2012, 08:36:43 AM
From the Star Trib this morning: 
QuoteGagliardi said he also did not receive his sought-after assurance that his son would be a member of a new staff.

Same article..... cliches and football.....

"John was tremendously successful -- unparalleled success from a football standpoint," Elliott said. "But what isn't written about is how many lives he's touched. Think about what not cutting guys means: 60 years with 190 guys on every team. That's thousands of people that have had a positive impact by being around John."

I thought about it and a new team every 4 years (60 / 4 = 15), 15 x 190 = 2,850.

But no senior class ever had 45-50 guys on it. It's way more than 15 unique sets of kids.

Now, not every team had 190 on it either, but I suspect that way more than 3,000 kids were on John Gagliardi's Johnnies teams.
Were there a lot of transfers in Gag's first few decades?  I'd assume the roster sizes were smaller.  3000 would imply an average recruiting class of 50.  They're getting 60 lately, but that can't have always been the case.  3000 is a crazy number by itself.  Most head coaches would probably recognize the names of all of their former players.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: hazzben on November 20, 2012, 10:46:38 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 20, 2012, 10:44:25 AM

Good to hear Pat. I expected nothing less from you guys.

I was an SID in the era in which coaches routinely inflated tackle numbers by watching the video afterward. The NCAA has discontinued this practice but it had an impact on me.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Retired Old Rat

Quote from: ron doney on November 20, 2012, 10:31:15 AM
Does anyone know the history how the number 1 was added to the "U" in SJU?

I suspect it is tied to John, but have never heard the story behind it.

Thom Woodward, long time alumni relations guy, created the logo with the 1 in it sometime in the 90's, I think.
http://www.csbsju.edu/sjualum/notable/reger/2000woodward.htm

This is what it is meant to communicate:

The 1 isn't to proclaim that SJU is Number One, but it serves as a reminder that Johnnies should strive to be the best on the playing field, in the classroom, as employers/employees, as men, as husbands, as fathers.  Like in the Johnnie Fight Song:  Show the world what SJU can do.

National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

DustySJU

Quote from: johnnie_esq on November 20, 2012, 09:11:58 AM
I would hope that former Hamline head coach (and tOSU running back coach) and current Carleton assistant Dick Tressel gets a good look at the head job.  He is a very good recruiter (that was his main job at Ohio State), knows how to be a head coach (I don't think he ever had a losing season at Hamline), knows the MIAC well, and would not overstay a welcome in Collegeville.  He'd be fresh but established blood for a transitional phase-- and a national name without the taint.

If his name isn't mentioned it would be a shame-- he should at least receive consideration.

... and don't forget his son who played and coached at Hamline and Gophers as well.  Might Dick's son have been at OSU too?

Haven't heard this name mentioned yet but how 'bout Brandon Novak as the next SJU head man?

He's done a more than solid job building the SJU wrestling program and has a roster approaching 50 graplers.

How 'bout a five headed monster of Ramler as head coach, Fasching, Novak, Haugen, Dumonceaux? 

Please lord, not Gordie Shaw.

Developing...

The Official Fan Site For St. John's Football - Underground!  www.JohnnieFootball.com

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: DustySJU on November 20, 2012, 11:21:45 AM

How 'bout a five headed monster of Ramler as head coach, Fasching, Novak, Haugen, Dumonceaux? 

Ramler would seem to be someone who should be in the mix to me, with my outsider vantage point...he has MIAC experience, he's a Johnnie, he's relatively young and could be there a long time, and he was doing pretty well at a place where it seemed like the administration didn't really support a winning football program...

realistic

It's been a while but I just felt the need to post as well. 

I covered Saint John's for the 2002 season, my first job out of college.  That team was so much fun to watch and cover, but memories of John are what stand out 10 years later.  He's such an open and friendly man.  My first interview with him in late July ended up with him asking me all sorts of questions and running over an hour...I think I had 5 minutes worth of usable "interview" questions.

Best of luck in retirement John....you've certainly earned it.

SUMMIT!!!!!

i coudlnt help noticing in the presser yesterday (available on youtube) how often Stock repeated & stressed "we have strong viable Internal candidates"... think he said this 4 or 5 times. Gave me the feeling the decision is mostly made to go internal, unless some external candidate totally wows them. I doubt highly Tressel would apply (his son is rumored to be in the mix for the gig at Hamline). Does Haugen want it? enough to give up baseball for it? I cant imagine in this day & age trying to run both. 

My vibe is that Fasching is the leading candidate, but if Grant shows serious interest, the choice could be tough...altho the last time I heard Grant's name mentioned regarding a college opening was at UST when he was 2nd finalist and lost out to Roney. I dont think he's applied anywhere since, which may or may not mean anything.

AO-- whats the line on the various candidates?
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

sfury

Quote from: miacmaniac on November 20, 2012, 01:14:12 PM
i coudlnt help noticing in the presser yesterday (available on youtube) how often Stock repeated & stressed "we have strong viable Internal candidates"... think he said this 4 or 5 times. Gave me the feeling the decision is mostly made to go internal, unless some external candidate totally wows them. I doubt highly Tressel would apply (his son is rumored to be in the mix for the gig at Hamline). Does Haugen want it? enough to give up baseball for it? I cant imagine in this day & age trying to run both. 

My vibe is that Fasching is the leading candidate, but if Grant shows serious interest, the choice could be tough...altho the last time I heard Grant's name mentioned regarding a college opening was at UST when he was 2nd finalist and lost out to Roney. I dont think he's applied anywhere since, which may or may not mean anything.

Grant also was a finalist for the Concordia job when Horan got it.

57Johnnie

I think many candidates would be leery of following John  8-)
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

AO

Quote from: miacmaniac on November 20, 2012, 01:14:12 PM

Your guess is better than mine.  Your interpretation of the press conference wording makes sense.  St. John's doesn't have much experience conducting national searches for football/basketball, so I don't see them bringing in a proven recruiter when they could hire internally.

johnnie_esq

Quote from: DustySJU on November 20, 2012, 11:21:45 AM
Quote from: johnnie_esq on November 20, 2012, 09:11:58 AM
I would hope that former Hamline head coach (and tOSU running back coach) and current Carleton assistant Dick Tressel gets a good look at the head job.  He is a very good recruiter (that was his main job at Ohio State), knows how to be a head coach (I don't think he ever had a losing season at Hamline), knows the MIAC well, and would not overstay a welcome in Collegeville.  He'd be fresh but established blood for a transitional phase-- and a national name without the taint.

If his name isn't mentioned it would be a shame-- he should at least receive consideration.

... and don't forget his son who played and coached at Hamline and Gophers as well.  Might Dick's son have been at OSU too?

Dick has several sons.  One is not coaching football, the one who coached with the Gophers now is a HS Co-Head Coach, and his other son is an Assistant at Michigan State (who happened to call the fake field goal to beat Notre Dame last year). 

Not sure how many (if any) would follow.  But Dick would be a credible candidate to lead a transition.

What about Ferguson at T-G as a candidate for the gig?  Nobody has mentioned him yet...
SJU Champions 2003 NCAA D3, 1976 NCAA D3, 1965 NAIA, 1963 NAIA; SJU 2nd Place 2000 NCAA D3; SJU MIAC Champions 2018, 2014, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2003, 2002, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1991, 1989, 1985, 1982, 1979, 1977, 1976, 1975, 1974, 1971, 1965, 1963, 1962, 1953, 1938, 1936, 1935, 1932