WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonmann

Richter is a great coach and he has great depth this year. The Bulldogs have put together this run with their best scorer unavailable due to an injury against Trinity over the holiday break. With the right match-ups this team could advance to at least the Elite 8.

Rofrog

Not sure where Desales ends up,But it would be nice for Scranton not to meet a nescac team until later,3 years in a row we played Tufts at home,Tufts at St Louis and Bowdoin at home reminded me that year when Scranton made back to back final fours only to be matched up against Ali Fischer and Washington U.

Tim the Enchanter

I just noticed that Brian Monaghan´s little sister Bridget committed to Scranton for next fall.  She just became Morristown-Beard´s all-time leading scorer.  From her highlight video, she looks like she can attack the basket and create her own shot while seeing the court well.  Who knows how that will translate at the next level, though...

ronk

Quote from: Tim the Enchanter on February 12, 2019, 10:43:24 AM
I just noticed that Brian Monaghan´s little sister Bridget committed to Scranton for next fall.  She just became Morristown-Beard´s all-time leading scorer.  From her highlight video, she looks like she can attack the basket and create her own shot while seeing the court well.  Who knows how that will translate at the next level, though...

There is optimism that Bridget will help in those respects; saw her play AAU 2 summers ago, but not this past season, so I don't know how much her game has developed in the interim.

saratoga

There is a fantastic picture on the D3 Front page of an Emory post player establishing inside position to perfection.

Ashley is 6'2" and she is giving her teammates a target for an entry pass at about 6'6".

She is in perfect position to catch the pass and go powerfully to the basket.

I see so many post players that are 6' or taller that actually make themselves smaller in the paint which then allows 5;6' guards to strip them of the ball.

Well done Ashley.

Rofrog

Regional rankings come out tomorrow?

ronk

Tim the Enchanter

Quote from: Rofrog on February 13, 2019, 12:32:15 AM
Regional rankings come out tomorrow?

The top 4 shouldn't change.  Haverford should drop down a bit with 2 losses; Salisbury will likely drop out with the same.  Not sure who's behind them ready to jump into the rankings.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

With vRRO into the mix ... could make things more interesting.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

saratoga

Congrats to Trevor & the Lady Royals.

Take care of the next one Saturday & enjoy the Top seed for the playoffs.

Tim the Enchanter

I think that the only scenario in which Scranton is not the top seed would be if

Goucher beats Scranton and
E-Town beats Moravian and
Catholic beats Drew

If I read the tiebreaker scenarios right, Catholic would then hold the tiebreaker over Moravian to be the three seed and then E-Town would hold the tiebreaker over Scranton.  Scranton holds the tiebreaker if Moravian or Juniata is the three seed.  Does that sound right?

ronk

Quote from: Tim the Enchanter on February 14, 2019, 10:36:24 PM
I think that the only scenario in which Scranton is not the top seed would be if

Goucher beats Scranton and
E-Town beats Moravian and
Catholic beats Drew

If I read the tiebreaker scenarios right, Catholic would then hold the tiebreaker over Moravian to be the three seed and then E-Town would hold the tiebreaker over Scranton.  Scranton holds the tiebreaker if Moravian or Juniata is the three seed.  Does that sound right?

In my interpretation of Landmark tiebreaker for multiple ties,(Scranton/E-town for 1st and Catholic/Moravian/Juniata for 3rd). 1st tiebreaker is head-to-head in descending order. neither tie can be broken this way. Next is to break the tie in descending order by conference record against the remaining teams in descending order - the tie for 1st would then be considered before the tie for 3rd; Scranton would have  a record of 5-1 against the teams tied for 3rd vs E-town's 4-2 record so Scranton would be the 1st seed. If only Moravian and Catholic are tied for 3rd, Scranton and E-town are 3-1 vs them, so the tie is broken by Scranton 2-0 vs 5th place Juniata while E-town is 1-1. If it's Moravian and Juniata tied for 3rd, then Scranton is 4-0 vs them, E-town 2-2 so Scranton wins the tiebreaker in all cases.
Again, it's my reading of the Landmark tiebreaking rules - no guarantees.
What is more probable to contemplate(since Goucher is down to only 6 players and is unlikely to defeat the Lady Royals) is to contemplate who would be their 1st round opponent. I'd prefer to avoid Catholic/Matt Donahue since he's beaten us twice in recent years in low-scoring games with defense; Moravian(Capuano) could have a hot shooting game, so I'd prefer playing Juniata. Catholic would win a tiebreaker for 3rd with Moravian(and Juniata) or for 4th with Juniata only. Don't know who wins a tiebreaker between Moravian and Juniata for 4th.
  It would have been a more interesting year if Juniata hadn't lost their best player(Anstone), E-town(Beyer, Reynolds) and Catholic(numerous injuries); of course, the same for the Lady Royals with Bridgette and Julia. 

saratoga

Taking nothing away from the players you mention that have been lost to other schools, it still would have been interesting to see what this year would have brought with a fully healthy Julia & Bridgett.

Julia was a Freshman of the Year in a tough DII conference that was never the same after transferring in.
She survived her first ACL tear but the second one took her off the court but not off the team.

You can see virtually every night the loss of Bridget is having as there are some serious droughts the kids hit while looking for someone to take the big shot.

She made everyone around her better.

As she was hounded by the oppositions best defensive player or double teamed, it allowed the other kids the freedom to find open areas and get high percentage looks.

Lanes were open, the wings were open & scoring could happen from anywhere on the court.

Kids that had breakout years the past two seasons are now themselves struggling because they are the focal point of defenses with Bridget out & life isn't quite as easy as it was with her in the lineup.

The good news is the kids have had enough time without Julia & Bridget to figure things out and have new opportunities presented.

The better news is, slowly but surely, Bridget is making her way back to the court & Bridget at 60% is a whole lot better than the alternative...for everyone involved.

Tim the Enchanter

Didn't see the game today but the stat that jumps out (besides Mason's 18 boards) is Mann's 26 minutes. Hopefully she will be 100% in time for the playoffs.

I see that Moravian got the 4 seed. Anyone know what the tiebreaker was? They had identical top to bottom records as Juniata and I'm too lazy to compare OOC schedules...