Why are there pictures/stories of women on the front page of d3hoops?

Started by AO, December 16, 2008, 08:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think there should be a seperate area or page for women's coverage?

Yes
4 (17.4%)
No
10 (43.5%)
Posters with karma under -100 shouldn't be allowed to start threads
9 (39.1%)
Posters with good karma should be above insulting AO
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

AO

Why not give the women a separate page if the demand is there?  I didn't realize d3hoops was under title IX as well?  I often find it difficult to find a story or picture relative to the sport I care about, men's basketball.  Women play an entirely different game, while still managing to confuse anyone who might just skim through the headlines trying to figure out who won the major games.  You can't just start a new paragraph to talk about the men's game.

sincerely,
confused and cold in minnesota......

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: AO on December 16, 2008, 08:10:46 PM
Why not give the women a separate page if the demand is there?  I didn't realize d3hoops was under title IX as well?  I often find it difficult to find a story or picture relative to the sport I care about, men's basketball.  Women play an entirely different game, while still managing to confuse anyone who might just skim through the headlines trying to figure out who won the major games.  You can't just start a new paragraph to talk about the men's game.

sincerely,
confused and cold in minnesota......

NOW I understand why your negative karma exceeds your number of posts.  It is d3hoops.com, NOT d3MEN'Shoops.com.

If you are that upset, you are free to start your own site; might I suggest "ChauvinistPigsRUs.com"?

AO

do you also call it chauvinstespn.com?  check out the main page of any respected sports news source. 

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: AO on December 16, 2008, 11:49:51 PM
do you also call it chauvinstespn.com?  check out the main page of any respected sports news source. 

So THIS is not a respected sports news source? :P

Boy, am I glad I'm not you! :D

AO

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 17, 2008, 12:15:15 AM

I wouldn't be asking this question of a news source I didn't respect.  Insert the word "other" before respected in my previous post.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

AO - give me a break. If you actually learned something about women's Division III basketball you will learn that they have some incrediably good teams, coaches, players, schools, etc. that shouldn't be ignored. And since this site has been around for about 12 years we have learned a thing or two about what needs to be covered and what doesn't need to be. Learn about the game, especially in Division III, and get over yourself.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

sunny

Quote from: AO on December 17, 2008, 12:22:01 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 17, 2008, 12:15:15 AM

I wouldn't be asking this question of a news source I didn't respect.  Insert the word "other" before respected in my previous post.

There are several key differences between D3sports.com and sites like ESPN.com. Primarily:

1) D3sports.com is essentially serving a niche audience - albeit an ever-growing and very dedicated one.  Most of the visitors to the site have some connection to Division III sports - be it as a student, alum, staff member, parent, friend, etc.  There aren't too many "casual" Division III fans.  There ARE plenty of casual ESPN.com visitors.  Thus, while there may be more Division III men's fans than Division III women's fans, the true numerical gap is nowhere near as wide as Division I men's fans to Division I women's fans.

2) ESPN.com is owned by a global corporation, Disney, whose number one, two, three, etc. purposes is to make money.  To run the giant organization they run with the mutlitude of staff members and still make a nice profit, ESPN needs to sell a lot of $$$$$ to a lot of advertisers.  That is their purpose.  D3Hoops.com is owned by one very dedicated D3 alum who is certainly not in it to make money - the ads you see here are to keep the site and operation afloat, nothing more.  While Pat has done a great job of maintaining journalistic integrity, he also is very passionate about promoting Division III athletics in and of itself.  He's not NCAA.com, but he's not ESPN.com either.  (Some of ESPN's staffers may truly care about college sports, but the organization itself is only interested in promoting them insofar as they can make the copany money.) Pat is somewhere in between - an independent sports media owner who cares about the sports his organization covers .  Sorry to put words in your mouth, Pat, but I don't think you'll disagree.

Lastly, if you are having trouble finding the scores of the "major games," just visit the scoreboard page if that's all you're interested in.  Games involving top 25 schools are listed at the top of each date.

AO

Quote from: Dave "d-mac" McHugh on December 17, 2008, 08:51:08 AM
AO - give me a break. If you actually learned something about women's Division III basketball you will learn that they have some incrediably good teams, coaches, players, schools, etc. that shouldn't be ignored. And since this site has been around for about 12 years we have learned a thing or two about what needs to be covered and what doesn't need to be. Learn about the game, especially in Division III, and get over yourself.
Dave, Give me a break!  I wasn't insulting the women.  Just because I don't follow women's college basketball doesn't mean that I don't think there's a place for them.  The point is, why not have two seperate home pages for the men and women?  There is most definitely more interest in men's basketball than women's, but if a private business wants to cover them equally I can only stand by as a very low paying consumer.  I'm just wondering why there is a concious decision to mix the two sports up, creating confusion and frustration.  Maybe I'm alone here, but I doubt it.

sunny

Quote from: AO on December 17, 2008, 07:32:59 PM
Dave, Give me a break!  I wasn't insulting the women.  Just because I don't follow women's college basketball doesn't mean that I don't think there's a place for them.  The point is, why not have two seperate home pages for the men and women?  There is most definitely more interest in men's basketball than women's, but if a private business wants to cover them equally I can only stand by as a very low paying consumer.  I'm just wondering why there is a concious decision to mix the two sports up, creating confusion and frustration.  Maybe I'm alone here, but I doubt it.

Low-paying consumer?  Unless you consider looking at ads to be paying or are making a donation, then I'm not sure how you're paying anything ...

I will grant that separate front page stories each night for women and men (whichever has the biggest story of the night goes first) ... or even a bolded subtitle midway through the article when the genders switch would have some merit ... but I don't think separate pages are necessary.

AO

Quote from: sunny on December 18, 2008, 09:46:04 AM
Quote from: AO on December 17, 2008, 07:32:59 PM

Low-paying consumer?  Unless you consider looking at ads to be paying or are making a donation, then I'm not sure how you're paying anything ...

I will grant that separate front page stories each night for women and men (whichever has the biggest story of the night goes first) ... or even a bolded subtitle midway through the article when the genders switch would have some merit ... but I don't think separate pages are necessary.
you're starting to get it sunny.  things are looking up!

I was referring to my purchase of kickoff in regards to my consumer status.

Pat Coleman

We never run stories about women's football, AO, so you're safe there.

In general, about one-third of our traffic is based around women's basketball and two-thirds men's basketball. We cover both. Nuff said.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.