Rule and Policy Changes

Started by hopefan, June 24, 2015, 09:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Also remember, D1 schools can have a regular season game against a DIII who considers it an exhibition. There are many reasons for allowing that especially since both seasons start on different dates (which I think DIII needs to reconsider) and for competition reasons.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

smedindy

I really don't like calling them exhibitions after the season starts, and when D-1 counts them and D-3 doesn't. But I may be choir preaching here.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: smedindy on October 12, 2017, 10:09:29 PM
I really don't like calling them exhibitions after the season starts, and when D-1 counts them and D-3 doesn't. But I may be choir preaching here.

I'm part of the choir. LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I am honestly deleting my stuff from earlier... things have gotten confusing again and I need to dive so deep into this it isn't funny. I apologize for anyone who has seen it and now sees it is gone.

hopefan

Well Well Well... 2 days after I told about the horse race to see who would be the last D3 school to post their schedule, 6 of the missing 8 have shown up... thanks to the SIDs of Johnson State, Albertus Magnus, Lesley, Wilson, Rosemont, and Stockton for responding..

Leaving the final 2

Amherst   and   Greensboro

I will say that both of these schools have historically been extremely late in getting their schedule posted!!   Who knows why....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

smedindy

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 12, 2017, 10:22:15 PM
Quote from: smedindy on October 12, 2017, 10:09:29 PM

I'm part of the choir. LOL

We have it both ways at D-2 CWU. Our women play Pacific Lutheran and it's an 'exhibition' for them. We play Linfield's men but it doesn't seem they're calling it that, but we play a Canadian school during the break in their Canadian schedule and it's an exhibition.

Then last year our men played Washington State and we called it an exhibition.

Oy...

hopefan

Quote from: hopefan on October 12, 2017, 11:11:54 PM
Well Well Well... 2 days after I told about the horse race to see who would be the last D3 school to post their schedule, 6 of the missing 8 have shown up... thanks to the SIDs of Johnson State, Albertus Magnus, Lesley, Wilson, Rosemont, and Stockton for responding..

Leaving the final 2

I will say that both of these schools have historically been extremely late in getting their schedule posted!!   Who knows why....

Amherst got theirs posted, I've given up on Greensboro... why one school of 427 would not have their schedule posted after practice has started is beyond me... My pointing it out to the SID (in a friendly way) has not helped...

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

smedindy

Quote from: hopefan on October 17, 2017, 03:14:40 PM

Leaving the final 2

Amherst got theirs posted, I've given up on Greensboro... why one school of 427 would not have their schedule posted after practice has started is beyond me... My pointing it out to the SID (in a friendly way) has not helped...

SPIES!

They even have an assistant SID, which is uncommon in many D-3 shops.

Pat Coleman

Leaving the final 2

I was going to say -- we have Amherst's schedule on our site. And 25 games for Greensboro:
http://www.d3hoops.com/teams/Greensboro/Men/2017-18/index
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hopefan

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 17, 2017, 11:06:21 PM

Leaving the final 2

I was going to say -- we have Amherst's schedule on our site. And 25 games for Greensboro:
http://www.d3hoops.com/teams/Greensboro/Men/2017-18/index

I agree Pat.. but the 25 games are backed into from everyone else's schedules... pity the poor Greensboro college fan who doesn't know about D3hoops.com and goes to the Greensboro site, only to still find the 2016-17 schedule posted!! :'(

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

In news I am not sure if anyone knows about, there is an effort to move the start of the Division III season up a week to basically coincide with Division I and II. The idea has many reasons behind it, but expanding conference schedules coupled by academic challenges especially in the month of December plus quirks to the calendar that sometimes don't allow a lot of time before Thanksgiving are the biggest reasons.

The Division III Management Council has endorsed a bill supported by the MIAC and the SUNYAC that would move the start of the season to Nov. 8 (with the same rule per the 8th falling on Saturday, Sunday, or Monday we have now with the 15th). This will ultimately be decided at the January NCAA Convention. Just an FYI, it would remove a week of the preseason to accommodate the schedule change and thus keep the season at 19-weeks.

Here is the release from the NCAA along with a lot of other things: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/diii-management-council-recommends-amended-saac-proposal

Personally, I am for it... no one has to start on the 8th if they don't want to. I will be interested to hear what others think as I call around the country, though most I have talked to up to this point do agree there needs to be a bit of a pressure release in terms of scheduling out of conference games along with where conferences are scheduling now.

Greek Tragedy

It's interesting how the scheduling is now. There are some schools that have 2 to 3 weeks off in December, playing the 1st week of the month and then not playing until after the New Year. Some of these same schools have 3 to 5 games in a 10-day span, playing Friday, Saturday, Wednesday and then Friday and Saturday again. It seems a lot of conferences have a nice set schedule after the New Year, usually playing Wednesday and Saturday. I know some conferences play up to 3 conference games a week.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on October 19, 2017, 06:43:41 PM
It's interesting how the scheduling is now. There are some schools that have 2 to 3 weeks off in December, playing the 1st week of the month and then not playing until after the New Year. Some of these same schools have 3 to 5 games in a 10-day span, playing Friday, Saturday, Wednesday and then Friday and Saturday again. It seems a lot of conferences have a nice set schedule after the New Year, usually playing Wednesday and Saturday. I know some conferences play up to 3 conference games a week.

There are a lot of complicated reasons for these things: exam period, school vacation periods (which coincides with school structures like semesters, trimesters, January terms, etc.), and other things. A number of schools who still want to be involved with the ECAC post-season have to make sure to take 10 full days off (I believe that is the number) which obviously affects things as well. While less schools are involved in the ECAC, it doesn't mean they don't keep the model in place "just in case."

The biggest thing I have noticed is the larger conferences struggling with playing all of their games in a reasonable period of time and when they have to start looking at moving games to the first semester, they run into all kinds of trouble. Centennial had their first set of games prior to Thanksgiving last year which drove me insane.

Having been one who has had to help put a tournament together and work with all kinds of scheduling challenges ... I know where the challenges are. This could at least loosen things up for schools a bit while also giving them a chance to be in better condition when the first conference games get played. I would hate to see a conference regular season decided because the calendar wasn't friendly.

FCGrizzliesGrad

I would have been in favor of moving the end of the season back a week to be closer to the other divisions rather than at the start of the season. I remember when the tournament was stretched out forever the year all the finals were played together.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer