FB: Region 3 fan poll

Started by Pat Coleman, June 23, 2008, 10:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: jknezek on November 06, 2014, 06:40:38 PM
Quote from: PA_wesleyfan on November 06, 2014, 05:50:08 PM
ON another subject. Will the NCAA balance out the regions next year when Wesley and CNU go to the NJAC next year. I may be mistaken but didn't they do that once before when the  numbers got lopsided in a region?

I believe the MAC was once considered South Region, so it's possible. I think it would make more sense to move the NJAC if they did it again, considering 5 schools will come from south of NJ with Wesley, CNU, Salisbury, SVa, and Frostburg St making up half the conference. Would be interesting to see if that is done or necessary.
Yes, until about 2005.

Toby Taff

Quote from: jknezek on November 06, 2014, 08:47:14 AM
Quote from: umhb2001 on November 05, 2014, 10:15:24 PM

Let's take a look at these two rivalry teams.

Total Offense: Salisbury 124 HSU 103
Total D:                        210.        89
Last 6 Games                3-3.         5-1
Opp-PPG last 6.                   32.         24
Scoring O.                     85.          70
Scoring D.                    T-189.        114

HSU...Salisbury is not. HSU has progressively gotten better while Salisbury has progressively worsened. Stats show that. Salisbury may go 1-1 and HSU most likely will go 2-0. When you compare this alone, you see that HSU is a far better team now. I'm not saying they'd beat Wesley, but their performance against Wesley at this stage would be better than Salisbury when you look at the numbers.

Look, you were the one arguing that in rivalry games it doesn't matter how good the teams are. You started talking about how rivalry games are a different animal. That was your excuse for UMHB being pushed in the first half. Not mine. Now you want to talk about how what really matters is how good the teams are? Pick one set of logic and stick with it.

UMHB had a good win. But it wasn't a dominant performance like I expected from the top team in the region. Is it some kind of slight against UMHB? No. Most teams have an off game now and then.

But I moved UMHB up the week before because they were surprisingly dominant against a good team, I ALMOST moved them down the same single notch because they were surprisingly underwhelming against a good team. How does that not make perfect sense?

I get you are a UMHB guy, but UMHB's last two games were drastically different. One was all that and a bag of chips awesome, and one was, well, they got the job done in the second half. One was impressive, one wasn't really. If you are weighing the two teams the impressive game is a good reason to overcome my previous vote for Wesley, the second almost was enough for me to think Wesley deserved top billing.
I guess I'll chime in here too. Everyone keeps arguing UMHB didn't dominate HSU, and that certainly was the case in the first half, but reality is UMHB scored as many points in the 3rd as HSU did for the game. Almost half of HSUs passing yards came on 2 plays, both of which went for TDs. THe other 2 TDs came with the game pretty well in hand.. Where I was impressed was with HSUs oline. They smashed all day and opened up the running game. I'm going to defend umhb2001 about the rivalry comment. I was at the game and I told umhb2001 that UMHB was going to have to survive the initial punch in the face before putting the game away. I live in Abilene, and I promise you hsu has the day circled. They havent liked being the little brother, and will come out swinging every time they meet. There is legit loathing there, and HSU is starting to get the horses to push back. That's what happened Saturday an improved and motivated HSU came out swinging for the seats and had some success, but in the end, they got slapped down in a quarter and that was all that mattered.
Honestly I don't care much if 1 is Wesley or UMHB (other than for playoffs) they're both outstanding programs.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: PA_wesleyfan on November 06, 2014, 05:50:08 PM
Over the past few seasons we a head to head with Wesley and UMHB to judge them with. I always voted by the practice that the Big Dog , be it Wesley or UMHB or whoever else kespot until they lost. pt that JHU has been the most consistent undefeated team the past few years but I  don't know that they could win at Wesley or UMHB.

ON another subject. Will the NCAA balance out the regions next year when Wesley and CNU go to the NJAC next year. I may be mistaken but didn't they do that once before when the  numbers got lopsided in a region?

I actually think they could, I had a chance to watch them in person and they play as a team and fast. Over the last few seasons, they have been getting a bad draw in 1st round games due to their conference affiliation, but have played admirably, even that blowout they had taken against Mount Union. I think under good circumstances they could win.

SaintsFAN

Quote from: D3MAFAN-MG on November 07, 2014, 05:59:01 AM
I actually think they could, I had a chance to watch them in person and they play as a team and fast. Over the last few seasons, they have been getting a bad draw in 1st round games due to their conference affiliation, but have played admirably, even that blowout they had taken against Mount Union. I think under good circumstances they could win.

I'm going to politely disagree -- They weren't really competitive up at Mount Union in 2012.  If I remember correctly, the JHU offense went three and out a couple times to start the game and then threw two INT's.  Mount Union led 21-0 after 1 Quarter and 34-7 at the half.  They've played Wesley rather well -- but I think the 2012 game was a home game for Hopkins and the 2009 game was played in high winds.  I could be completely wrong about these games. 

I don't think these games would translate well to winning games AT Wesley or Mary Hardin-Baylor. 

There is, however, only one way to find out. 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

Ralph Turner

This week's South Region Fan Poll will come out late Tuesday night.

jknezek

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 10, 2014, 09:33:19 AM

Thanks for putting it together Ralph.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: jknezek on November 10, 2014, 09:42:34 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 10, 2014, 09:33:19 AM

Thanks for putting it together Ralph.
Thanks to you, hasanova, Wesley Dad and roocru for your timely and thoughtful responses. I think that everyone did a good job.

Ralph Turner

South Region Fan Poll -- Week #10

TeamRecordPointsVotes
1)   UMHB .491,1,1,1,2
2)   Wesley.461,2,2,2,2
3)   JHU.393,3,3,3,4
4)   Wash & Jeff.363,4,4,4,4
5)   Thomas More.285,5,5,6,6
6)   Centre.245,5,7,7,7
7)   Muhlenberg   .236,6,6,7,7
8)   Texas Lutheran     .118,8,9,9,10
9)    H-SC.108,8,9,9,x
10)  Emory & Henry.48,10,x,x,x
RV)   Guilford .29,x,x,x,x
RV)  Hardin-Simmons.210,10,x,x,x.
RV)  CNU.110,x,x,x,x.
Corrections are appreciated!

jknezek

Just put my ballot in so I wouldn't be overly influenced by the playoff committee. 9 and 10 were hard...

Ralph Turner

South Region Fan Poll -- Week #11

TeamRecordPointsVotes
1)   UMHB .491,1,1,1,2
2)   Wesley.461,2,2,2,2
3)   JHU.403,3,3,3,3
4)   Wash & Jeff.314,5,5,5,5
5)   Centre.294,4,4,7,7
6)   Thomas More.265,6,6,6,6
7)   Muhlenberg   .224,7,7,7,8
8)   Texas Lutheran     .176,8,8,8,8
9)   Guilford .89,9,9,9,x
T10)  H-SC.29,x,x,x,x
T10)  Rhodes.210,10,x,x,x.
RV)  CNU.110,x,x,x,x.
RV)  Emory & Henry.110,x,x,x,x
RV)  Waynesburg.110,x,x,x,x.
Corrections are appreciated!

Yes, #9 and #10 got hard.

umhb2001

Quote from: Toby Taff on November 06, 2014, 11:48:03 PM
Quote from: jknezek on November 06, 2014, 08:47:14 AM
Quote from: umhb2001 on November 05, 2014, 10:15:24 PM

Let's take a look at these two rivalry teams.

Total Offense: Salisbury 124 HSU 103
Total D:                        210.        89
Last 6 Games                3-3.         5-1
Opp-PPG last 6.                   32.         24
Scoring O.                     85.          70
Scoring D.                    T-189.        114

HSU...Salisbury is not. HSU has progressively gotten better while Salisbury has progressively worsened. Stats show that. Salisbury may go 1-1 and HSU most likely will go 2-0. When you compare this alone, you see that HSU is a far better team now. I'm not saying they'd beat Wesley, but their performance against Wesley at this stage would be better than Salisbury when you look at the numbers.

Look, you were the one arguing that in rivalry games it doesn't matter how good the teams are. You started talking about how rivalry games are a different animal. That was your excuse for UMHB being pushed in the first half. Not mine. Now you want to talk about how what really matters is how good the teams are? Pick one set of logic and stick with it.

UMHB had a good win. But it wasn't a dominant performance like I expected from the top team in the region. Is it some kind of slight against UMHB? No. Most teams have an off game now and then.

But I moved UMHB up the week before because they were surprisingly dominant against a good team, I ALMOST moved them down the same single notch because they were surprisingly underwhelming against a good team. How does that not make perfect sense?

I get you are a UMHB guy, but UMHB's last two games were drastically different. One was all that and a bag of chips awesome, and one was, well, they got the job done in the second half. One was impressive, one wasn't really. If you are weighing the two teams the impressive game is a good reason to overcome my previous vote for Wesley, the second almost was enough for me to think Wesley deserved top billing.
I guess I'll chime in here too. Everyone keeps arguing UMHB didn't dominate HSU, and that certainly was the case in the first half, but reality is UMHB scored as many points in the 3rd as HSU did for the game. Almost half of HSUs passing yards came on 2 plays, both of which went for TDs. THe other 2 TDs came with the game pretty well in hand.. Where I was impressed was with HSUs oline. They smashed all day and opened up the running game. I'm going to defend umhb2001 about the rivalry comment. I was at the game and I told umhb2001 that UMHB was going to have to survive the initial punch in the face before putting the game away. I live in Abilene, and I promise you hsu has the day circled. They havent liked being the little brother, and will come out swinging every time they meet. There is legit loathing there, and HSU is starting to get the horses to push back. That's what happened Saturday an improved and motivated HSU came out swinging for the seats and had some success, but in the end, they got slapped down in a quarter and that was all that mattered.
Honestly I don't care much if 1 is Wesley or UMHB (other than for playoffs) they're both outstanding programs.

The close game against HSU and two dominant wins against teams that have put up good offensive numbers seem to be seen in good light now as UWW also had a close match. Guess my thoughts weren't all to  off.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

jknezek

Quote from: umhb2001 on November 18, 2014, 01:14:48 PM

The close game against HSU and two dominant wins against teams that have put up good offensive numbers seem to be seen in good light now as UWW also had a close match. Guess my thoughts weren't all to  off.

You have the same number of 1 votes as you did prior to the HSU game. The light hasn't changed.

umhb2001

jknezek

Quote from: umhb2001 on November 18, 2014, 03:16:21 PM
Wrong. http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/d3/d3footballcom

Sorry. You are writing on the SRFP page. I figured that's what you were referring to, not the D3 poll which has a topic in the general football area. My misunderstanding.

umhb2001

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse.