MBB: MAC Freedom League

Started by ljk, March 14, 2005, 09:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on July 24, 2020, 10:29:01 PM
I believe it's Oct 1st actually. Schools that are willing can do practices, I guess.

Yikes!! So in a little more than two months, a school could put 18 men and 18 women, plus coaches, on to a 90 foot long basketball court................and a team like Messiah could place 40 wrestlers in a small wrestling room, grappling, touching and breathing all over each other?

I just don't see it...........not with the numbers getting worse in PA.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I imagine local guidelines will preclude most teams from practicing. I imagine, though, a place like Colby, in a low sighted state, with commitments to test everyone on campus twice a week, they might like to do one or two practices a week to prepare for a possible season. I talked to one coach who plans to divide his team into small groups so they can do more specific work with positional groups and individuals. After all there's no cap on the time coaches can put in, just athletes.

You've also got schools that will be closed entirely from Thanksgiving to February. They won't be penalized the 60 odd practices they'd miss.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on July 25, 2020, 10:07:59 AM
I imagine local guidelines will preclude most teams from practicing. I imagine, though, a place like Colby, in a low sighted state, with commitments to test everyone on campus twice a week, they might like to do one or two practices a week to prepare for a possible season. I talked to one coach who plans to divide his team into small groups so they can do more specific work with positional groups and individuals. After all there's no cap on the time coaches can put in, just athletes.

You've also got schools that will be closed entirely from Thanksgiving to February. They won't be penalized the 60 odd practices they'd miss.

That makes sense Ryan!! I also feel terrible for the seniors in high school who have had their fall seasons cancelled. Those players who were on the radar of college coaches as juniors should be fine, relatively speaking. But the kid who grew this summer and might have received some nice D-III or even D-II (PSAC) attention is screwed. The good students within that group will move on to college. the kid that really wanted to play might walk on or go the JUCO route (not talking NESCAC kids here of course.......that board would mock me for suggesting that ;) ).

ronk

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 25, 2020, 01:47:29 PM

That makes sense Ryan!! I also feel terrible for the seniors in high school who have had their fall seasons cancelled. Those players who were on the radar of college coaches as juniors should be fine, relatively speaking. But the kid who grew this summer and might have received some nice D-III or even D-II (PSAC) attention is screwed. The good students within that group will move on to college. the kid that really wanted to play might walk on or go the JUCO route (not talking NESCAC kids here of course.......that board would mock me for suggesting that ;) ).

Some of those NESCAC kids actually take a 5th year(post-grad) before arriving on campus.   ::)

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: ronk on July 25, 2020, 02:04:25 PM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 25, 2020, 01:47:29 PM

Some of those NESCAC kids actually take a 5th year(post-grad) before arriving on campus.   ::)

Some..........no doubt ;)

Gabriel

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The off season has hit August and with it has come news of Division III Fall Championships being canceled for the same reason Winter Championships were derailed and Spring Championships pulled earlier this year: COVID 19 Pandemic.

The decision came on the heals of a vast majority of DIII institutions curtailing fall sports and many pushing winter sports starts on their campuses until January at the earliest.

What does this mean for the 2020-21 season of college basketball? Specifically what does it mean for Division III? Will there be a basketball season? Will it be a six-week-or-so-sprint? Or is there a way to adjust things?

On the Mid-Summer edition of the Hoopsville Podcast, we try and get some answers to those questions. We talk to one coach who actually has put together a proposal to start the season in January, with some changes to make it work including crowning a champion in April. And we talk to an administrator who also serves on the DIII Management Council to better under stand the decisions made to cancel championships and if shift a season like basketball is even possible.

Plus, we honor the best of the best in the last decade of Division III women's basketball. Gordon Mann joins us to discuss how the 2nd D3hoops.com Women's All-Decade came together (and hints of work on the men's list).

Guests include:
- Philip Ponder, Oglethorpe men's coach
- Jason Fein, Bates Athletics Director and DIII Management Council member
- Gordon Mann, D3hoops.com Senior Editor

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. A few things we take note of that have made headlines since the beginning of July. We also tip our hat to a few of those who have always helped the show be it's best.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kGZ962

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Stretch4

Throwing out a DeSales question for anyone who may have some insight.  What is the story with Timmy Edwards this 21-22 season?  I am assuming he is injured or sidelined for some reason as he has yet to appear in a game this season.  DeSales is the pick to win the MAC Freedom, is playing great and has earned a top 25 ranking, but at some point I suspect they will need Edwards if they want to accomplish all of their goals this season.  Appreciate any insight anyone may have.

kate

Don't know anything about Timothy Edwards of DeSales, but the Aggie Men look very interesting this young season.   Don't want to jinx them, and sure home my Hubby and i can get to see them play at some point soon!    Yes, and Go Del Val!!!

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: kate on December 05, 2021, 09:12:15 AM
Don't know anything about Timothy Edwards of DeSales, but the Aggie Men look very interesting this young season.   Don't want to jinx them, and sure home my Hubby and i can get to see them play at some point soon!    Yes, and Go Del Val!!!

They are doing this without their best two players, Washington and Tucker!!

Stretch4

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on December 06, 2021, 05:34:42 PM
Quote from: kate on December 05, 2021, 09:12:15 AM

They are doing this without their best two players, Washington and Tucker!!

Just a thought ... two of Del Val's three losses are with "best" players Washington and Tucker in the line up.  So maybe, just maybe, they found a little more cohesiveness with them out of the line up.  Easy to make the argument that Ghee, Marc and Paulus are their best players in my opinion.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

For two programs this week, the number 25 is probably considered lucky. For many, it represents the bottom of a Top 25 ranking, but for those in the 25th slot ... it means they are ranked.

St. John Fisher hasn't been ranked since "Desperate Housewives," "Boston Legal," "The Shield," and "Fear Factor" where some of the most popular shows on television. The top movie was "Coach Carter." However, Coach Melissa Kuberka has gotten her Cardinals squad back into the rankings after a terrific start to the 2021-22 season. We talk to her about the team's success and how the rest of the season could shape up.

For DeSales, there were signs they were going to be good during the COVID season. Not all teams are able to duplicate that short-season success, but the Bulldogs are off to an undefeated start. Coach Scott Coval discusses just how good the team is and why we haven't seen the unit at it's very best. Plus, one can still break a backboard in today's game? DeSales found out it is possible.

Plus, Yeshiva is getting plenty of attention now that they have been ranked #1 in the D3hoops.com Top 25 poll the last few weeks. But do you really know the Macabees and their program? We talk to Gary Belsky who wrote an expose on the program for ESPN. It's a must read and a must listen to segment.

And UW-Eau Claire Athletics have big plans for future Blugolds and DIII championships. Introducing the $70 million Sonnetag Center. AD Dan Schumacher discusses the significant way UWEC could shift championships and even regional recruiting by 2024.

You can watch the show LIVE (or on demand) here: https://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2021-22/dec9

Guests List:
- #25 St. John Fisher women's coach Melissa Kuberka
- #25 DeSales men's coach Scott Coval
- ESPN Writer Gary Belsky
- UW-Eau Claire Director of Athletics Dan Schumacher

Hoopsville broadcasts from the NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Stretch4

Disappointed to see that the MAC conference is having teams cancel and forfeit games in which they cannot field a team due to covid protocols.  No postponement - cancel and forfeit.  With the close proximity of the teams in the conference it seems like the opportunity to make up these games should at least be on the table.  Not sure how this whole thing is going to play out, but if they do get to a point where they have conference playoffs you are looking at a possible scenario where teams are qualifying or missing out based solely on covid forfeits.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Stretch4 on January 06, 2022, 04:18:31 PM
Disappointed to see that the MAC conference is having teams cancel and forfeit games in which they cannot field a team due to covid protocols.  No postponement - cancel and forfeit.  With the close proximity of the teams in the conference it seems like the opportunity to make up these games should at least be on the table.  Not sure how this whole thing is going to play out, but if they do get to a point where they have conference playoffs you are looking at a possible scenario where teams are qualifying or missing out based solely on covid forfeits.

This may get changed.  Almost every conference had a cancel/forfeit policy in place in December; a lot of them are changing those policies this week.  I don't have any specific information about the MAC, but in many other areas, the cancel/forfeit was supposed to be a hard line encouraging teams to take every precaution COVID-wise, because teams were unlikely to need the forfeits if they were doing so.  With the new realities of Omicron, every precaution is not likely enough to make much difference and many conferences are looking for ways to be more lenient and get in as many games as possible.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Stretch4

Thanks for the info.  I just found it so odd that potential games like Arcadia vs Del Val, Stevens - FDU with the teams 20-30 minutes away from each other would have to be a hard line cancel/forfeit.  Not too mention Kings - Wilkes who are literally 5 minutes away from each other.  I see other predominantly PA conferences like Landmark, Centennial, Atlantic East working towards re-scheduling options.  So hoping MAC Freedom does the same.