BB: Top Teams in West Region

Started by CrashDavisD3, February 20, 2012, 08:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Parkman

I love the early season rankings talk as much as the next guy but also know that it's tough to do.  A few of the teams mentioned were Univ. of Dallas and Oxy, both are off to great starts against awful schedules.

Univ of Dallas- They are off to a great 8-0 start but looking at the competition really should be taken into consideration here.  Dalls played East Texas Baptist who is 2-4 on the young season and a 3-game series with Sul Ross State and 2 with Austin College.
Sul Ross State is 2-9 and just got hammered in Arizona.  In the 4 games in AZ against Cal Lutheran, Linfield, Whitter and Whitman, Sul Ross State gave up 55 runs and only scored 11.  Dallas outscored Sul Ross by 4 in the series and won two 1-run games.  That says a lot in my opinion.  Austin has been terrible giving up 11.8 runs per game!!!
Although the 8-0 start is a great thing to look at, it has come against a terrible schedule (5-22 overall).

Oxy- Oxy made a huge statement this past weekend by sweeping Redlands.  That series is huge for Oxy and terrible for Redlands.  Although Oxy has started out great the combined record of their opponents is only 12-27-1 with their losses coming to Whitworth (x2) and Austin (x1).  Overall I think Oxy has been a huge surprise that looks like they could shake up the SCIAC.  Another big test this weekend with La Verne.

The way I see the West so far is with Trinity and Concordia at the top.  Trinity has been solid all around so far and Concordia took care of some good teams in Arizona (Cal Lutheran and La Verne).  Linfield is one of the top teams in the West as well but they have only played 4 games so it is a little tougher to tell but I fully expect them to be at the top throughout the season.  Chapman has been a little bumpy so far but they will straighten it out by the end of the year.  I fully expect them to be in the Regional (wherever it is) at the end of the year.

CrashDavisD3

I agree Trinity and Concordia at this time look to be at the top....Interesting to see how Chapman does against Trinity at San Antonio in 2 weeks.

Chapman 3 losses have been to teams with a combine 19-11 records. Better defense and better relief pitching could have made 2 of those losses wins...Chapman's top 3 starters ERA are 0.64,0.64 and 1.50. 
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

CrashDavisD3

TOP TEAMS IN THE WEST 2-23-2012

SCAC
Trinity-Texas 10-1
University of Dallas 9-0

ASC
Concordia-Texas 9-2
Texas-Tyler 7-1

NWC
Linfield 3-1
Pacific Lutheran 4-2
Whitworth 6-3-1

SCIAC
Occidental 8-3
La Verne 7-3
Pomona-Pitzer 6-1-1

CDD3's TOP 10
1) Linfield
2) Trinity-TX
3) Concordia-TX
4) Texas-Tyler
5) University of Dallas
6) Pomona-Pitzer
7) La Verne
8) Chapman/Cal Lu  *** Not sure if these teams will be there in 2 weeks.....Big ? in my mind
9) Pac Lu
10) Occidental ** If they can beat La Verne then I become a believer....
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."

108 Stitches

I like the approach Crash......dare I say because you have some logic in it. I get the feeling that some of the other "official" pollsters lists are based on what they "thought" a team would be like based on the previous season in addition to player adds and losses. I think they like to keep non performing teams there...well just because they put them there at the start. In your approach you will probably get a wider variation week to week early in the season, but as the season progresses the cream will rise to the top. Nicely done!

Jack Parkman

I am going to take a stab at my Top 10 in the West as well so feel free to bash or question me.

1. Trinity- Overall solid start.  Really looking forward to the Chapman series next week.
2. Linfield- Although they have a small sample size, I expect them to be at the top all year.
3. Concordia (TX)- Another good start against some pretty good competition.
4. Chapman- This was a tough spot for me since they are only 4-3 but they have Rauh and always seem to start out slow then dominate.  This season will probably be the same.
5. Pacific Lutheran- Another team with only a few games so far but they will battle Linfield for the NWC title.
6. La Verne- very skeptical about these guys but they could prove me wrong.
7. Cal Lutheran- Took 2/3 from Claremont and lost to 2 good squads in AZ.  This weekend with Pomona will make or break their season.
8. Pomona-Pitzer- Played a soft schedule so far and this weekend will do the same for their season as Cal Lutheran's.
9. UT-Tyler- Always overrated in my mind and unitl they do something to prove me otherwise, I can't put them higher.
10. Oxy/Dallas- I really don't feel like either will be here at the end of the year but there is no denyying their sexy records so far, even if it is against terrible competition.

I think TLU, Claremont, Whittier and (call me crazy) Hendrix will all be the teams to spoil this year.  Plenty of baseball to be played!

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Jack Parkman on February 24, 2012, 01:10:16 PM
I am going to take a stab at my Top 10 in the West as well so feel free to bash or question me.

1. Trinity- Overall solid start.  Really looking forward to the Chapman series next week.
2. Linfield- Although they have a small sample size, I expect them to be at the top all year.
3. Concordia (TX)- Another good start against some pretty good competition.
4. Chapman- This was a tough spot for me since they are only 4-3 but they have Rauh and always seem to start out slow then dominate.  This season will probably be the same.
5. Pacific Lutheran- Another team with only a few games so far but they will battle Linfield for the NWC title.
6. La Verne- very skeptical about these guys but they could prove me wrong.
7. Cal Lutheran- Took 2/3 from Claremont and lost to 2 good squads in AZ.  This weekend with Pomona will make or break their season.
8. Pomona-Pitzer- Played a soft schedule so far and this weekend will do the same for their season as Cal Lutheran's.
9. UT-Tyler- Always overrated in my mind and unitl they do something to prove me otherwise, I can't put them higher.
10. Oxy/Dallas- I really don't feel like either will be here at the end of the year but there is no denyying their sexy records so far, even if it is against terrible competition.

I think TLU, Claremont, Whittier and 9call me crazy) Hendrix will all be the teams to spoil this year.  Plenty of baseball to be played!

Nice job. Great observations. Keep it going. Your right about Chapman. Last year started slow(3-4 record) and got stronger as the season progresses. One big difference is Pool B and now being Pool C. They can no longer afford in region losses or they will not get the Pool C bid. In the past a weaker Pool B teams and the week SOS the other teams helped Chapman who always has one of the toughest SOS in the country,

dp643

Keep an eye out for Hardin Simmons as well. Steve Coleman always fields a good team, and it could very well come down to them VS Concordia to determine the West division champion this year in the ASC. Right now they excite me more than UT Tyler.

108 Stitches

Just saw that UTT beat CTX 3-2. Did not look at the box, but looks like a competitive game. I agree with you I like the CTX team and their closer is special.

dp643

CTX wins today 6-3 and 8-0. Tyler looks like they just dont have the arms they have had in the past. Concordia looks like they have a VERY deep staff.

108 Stitches

I liked what I saw with CTX, I think they will be there at the end.

Trinity destroyed UofDallas today 12-1 in a mercy game. Klimesh had 14K's in 7 innings, TU had 15 hits. Trinity hit everyone UofD brought in. Tomorrow will give us a better view what UofD really is about. Trinity looks like they have a team that can get to Wisc.

CrashDavisD3

Chapman's Rauh strikes out 15 in 9 innings gives up 2 earned runs and goes out after 9 tied. Chapman loses again.  Lost in the 12th 3-2 to George Fox.

Things are not looking good for Chapman. Chapman is 2-5 in last 7 games(counting exhibition with BC)

108 Stitches

I have not seen CU Crash, but a 3-2 game is a very good baseball game and generally a play here or there can change the game. They are playing tough teams close, so I would not give up hope too soon. If they played an easier schedule they could be 9-3. Fox beat Concordia Tx, which is a pretty good team. This is one of the dangers of having such a tough schedule, as sometimes the team needs a little breathing room, which they don't have this year.

BigPoppa

People are really going to complain when Chapman gets a Pool C bid because of their SoS. They are playing a solid schedule and while they are taking their lumps right now, I am certain that no one wants to be paired against them in May.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 26, 2012, 07:48:20 AM
People are really going to complain when Chapman gets a Pool C bid because of their SoS. They are playing a solid schedule and while they are taking their lumps right now, I am certain that no one wants to be paired against them in May.

I agree that they will pull it together but there does have to be some cause for concern in the fact that Chapman's opponents so far ar a combined 22-26 (.458 winning %) and they really have not played anywhere near the tough portion yet.  I am not going to discount Chapman as they are one of the best in the country, but something just doesn't seem to be clicking this year.

As the season continues they are going to get a lot of help in their schedule from teams like Trinity and Linfield, but unless they start winning the games they should win (like Whittier, Claremont, George Fox) they are going to continue to dig themselves a hole.  The 3 game series against Whitman (who is playing teams very tough but is still losing) is shaping up to give a big hit to Chapmans SOS.

Like I said, I am not discounting Chapman one bit and fully expect them to bounce back but right now I still have a few doubts.  Could Chapman's schedule come back to haunt them this year?

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Jack Parkman on February 26, 2012, 12:29:47 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on February 26, 2012, 07:48:20 AM

I agree that they will pull it together but there does have to be some cause for concern in the fact that Chapman's opponents so far ar a combined 22-26 (.458 winning %) and they really have not played anywhere near the tough portion yet.  I am not going to discount Chapman as they are one of the best in the country, but something just doesn't seem to be clicking this year.

As the season continues they are going to get a lot of help in their schedule from teams like Trinity and Linfield, but unless they start winning the games they should win (like Whittier, Claremont, George Fox) they are going to continue to dig themselves a hole.  The 3 game series against Whitman (who is playing teams very tough but is still losing) is shaping up to give a big hit to Chapmans SOS.

Like I said, I am not discounting Chapman one bit and fully expect them to bounce back but right now I still have a few doubts.  Could Chapman's schedule come back to haunt them this year?
Chapman is down 4-1 to George Fox so far today in the 6th. Chapman's pitchers have given up ZERO earned runs so far but 6 errors for Chapman's defense has cost them